What's a fair price... 1995 Lexus LS400

Tell ya what....

If I were to sell my car 2008 Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe with 304,500 miles on it with/in the following condition....

Really no rust at all... seriously.. underbody looks really good too.

Outside 7.5/10 condition

Inside 8/10 condition

Zero leaks anywhere motor etc etc

4 new tires on it

A battery just 5 months old with 2 yr warranty

Working ac...

Really good heat

New cv axles on it

Good brakes all around

New CVT fluid in it and never a issue at all

Motor runs great still....

All electronics still work just fine too...

I would not ask more no than $1,000....

Only because of how good the car still runs and still rides. And it still looks rather good.

A car that has all the issues in the first post... I'd offer like $300.

My car in comparison is the penthouse and that other car is the outhouse
lol.gif

Last edited:
I sold my 1995 LS400 last year. It was a cream puff compared to the one you are looking at.
Perfect paint, no CEL, everything worked as it should.
It's only issues were a bit of rust on right rear quarter panel and and squeaky right rear wheel bearing. 227k miles.
I sold it for $2300 iirc

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Fair enough. I shot the guy a message and was as nice as I could, offered $800 bucks. Message read, no response. I suppose he wasn't terribly happy with that offer.

I'll give him a few days to think on it, in the mean time if you guys really want to make fun of me I shot a message to someone selling a 127k mile 1996 Olds Aurora. I have a true love for those cars, I had a Dark Cherry Metallic '96 in high school and was an absolute tank. They were even nicer than the Cadillac's of that era, to me. Buying one today is insane, but they're asking $750 and I love a challenge!

Now, your are talking. I'm with you on the Aurora. They look cool as crap. I mean that in a good way. What color?

Originally Posted by Gebo
I had a Dark Cherry Metallic '96 in high school.....

What color?

The Auroras were ahead of their time. Other than low miles any idea of the condition?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Gebo
I had a Dark Cherry Metallic '96 in high school.....

What color?

The Auroras were ahead of their time. Other than low miles any idea of the condition?

The one I found is black, no idea on condition as the pics weren't very good. I got a message back from the guy so I think I'll take a drive down after work and check it out. It's like 1.5 hours round trip but with the minimal traffic right now it should be a decent drive.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Please let us know how it turns out, and if you do get it please let us know what you find after you have owned it for a while.

Well, the Aurora guy took too long to respond so I may go this weekend. I did hear back from Lexus guy, he apparently has "$1,500 offers left and right" and the first person with cash in hand gets it. Not a penny less. I politely told him that I don't doubt he could get that, but not from me. I let him know that I'm still interested, and to let me know next week if his "$1,500" had showed up yet.

Please let us know how it turns out, and if you do get it please let us know what you find after you have owned it for a while.

Well, the Aurora guy took too long to respond so I may go this weekend. I did hear back from Lexus guy, he apparently has "$1,500 offers left and right" and the first person with cash in hand gets it. Not a penny less. I politely told him that I don't doubt he could get that, but not from me. I let him know that I'm still interested, and to let me know next week if his "$1,500" had showed up yet.

I had a feeling this guy had ~$1500 in mind for this car given his asking price and the fact it's still sitting there. A few more weeks he'll probably go for a grand or less. Hopefully less, but now you're in the range of just calling a scarp yard to come get it.

For me, it's the rust related stuff that scares me the most.

In regards to the Aurora, my brother (who loves any gas powered project) had a 1996 with the V8. His was a dark green-ish IIRC. He loved that car.

Last edited:

Sounds to me like the guy who I was looking to buy a 2003 Nissan Altima off of looked at the car, and the clear coat was missing, it was down to the primer in a few spots on top, the door handles were broken off and he had zip ties looped around what was left, it was making clunking noises from the back. I offered him $1500 and he acted insulted, these cars are worth maybe $2500 in perfect condition and his was far from that, he was asking $2800thinking he was gonna get around $2500 for it, He said he had several other interested people coming to look at it that day, it was still listed a few days later, either he was full of crap about the other interested people, or everyone else that looked at it could see it wasn't worth $2500

Last edited:
I had a 96 Aurora for one of my first cars years ago and it was a blast, well when it was working. As much as I enjoyed it I would not get another, the early Northstar engines (95-02) were prone to headbolt failure. Repair for such runs $3-4k at an independent $8k at the dealer or is a 10-15+ hour DIY with the potential to turn the engine into a boat anchor if you botch it. Might keep an eye out for the Buick Riveria of the same years, it has the superchargred 3800 v6 in the same chassis.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Might keep an eye out for the Buick Riveria of the same years, it has the superchargred 3800 v6 in the same chassis.

Those are SWEET!! I would love to have one.

The Aurora guy never got back to me, so today I'm taking a little afternoon drive to take a look at a 2005 Lincoln LS Sport with the V8. He says it needs front hubs, which come with the car. He seems like he's ready to sell, so I'll see if I can't make a deal on it if it's in nice enough shape.

That's another one of the car's I've always wanted, they're either too expensive or totally used up, not much in between.

I like that LS too, looked almost European. Now sorry to be a buzzkill, but that V8 is based on a Jaguar design and has the potential for bore coating and cam issues. The Toyota V8's the GM LS1 and the Ford 5.0 and 2v 4.6 Modular 1998+ are really what you want for a cheap V8 that doesn't have a fatal flaw.

Last edited:
The Rivera's was a cool car for the time they had all the performance of the next gen Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, with a stiffer chassis and a in a sleeper coupe.

I like that LS too, looked almost European. Now sorry to be a buzzkill, but that V8 is based on a Jaguar design and has the potential for bore coating and cam issues. The Toyota V8's the GM LS1 and the Ford 5.0 and 2v 4.6 Modular 1998+ are really what you want for a cheap V8 that doesn't have a fatal flaw.
Huh?
I followed the LS400 forums for 5 years and never heard of a single issue with bore coatings or cam issues. ...?

Back