What's a fair price... 1995 Lexus LS400

That's too old. I wouldn't even consider a car from the 90's especially with rust. Try to look for something newer. If you don't mind pulling an engine, there was the 2006 E 350. Those are in the $2-3k range, they had bad balance shafts and the labor to replace the balance shaft which requires engine removal is in the 5-7k so they're not worth it to fix. But the parts are only in the $400 range. Mercedes used lots of aluminum too so you'll see lots out there without rust.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Fair enough. I shot the guy a message and was as nice as I could, offered $800 bucks. Message read, no response. I suppose he wasn't terribly happy with that offer.

I'll give him a few days to think on it, in the mean time if you guys really want to make fun of me I shot a message to someone selling a 127k mile 1996 Olds Aurora. I have a true love for those cars, I had a Dark Cherry Metallic '96 in high school and was an absolute tank. They were even nicer than the Cadillac's of that era, to me. Buying one today is insane, but they're asking $750 and I love a challenge!

Don't text him an offer. Show up at his door with your cash offer in hand. Alway remember,money talks.

I want to add to my original post, if the Lexus you're looking at is completely and totally bone stock,I'd definitely consider it. ANY aftermarket mods, adds,changes,manupulations,etc,will ALWAYS make me walk away.

I was looking at a 1994 300ZX on time. Hunter green with tan leather. It was in impeccably MINT condition, with only about 40,000 miles. BUT,it had some weird sloppy homegrown hack wiring job with an aftermarket stereo. Wires all over the place. Every time you'd press the brakes, every light on the dash would light up. I walked away without giving it a single thought.

What do you expect for $2k? Don't base it off BITOG expectations, those are always in unicorn land.

$2k cars are not reliable unless you know what you are getting into.

I do have some expertise in this area. I wouldn't go for this particular LS400 and here is why. I feel there are many jerry rigged repairs and problems.

I got a '98 LS400 with over 300k and have been offered $5k by a local guy. BUT, he knows how I take care of my cars. All OEM fluids, filters,
brakes, name brand gas, 3-5k OCI, Michelin tires, Toyota battery, and on and on.

I wouldn't buy this particular LS400 at any price. There are much better choices out there.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
This LS 400 is an antique that needs a restoration or a rehab as a beater. Money wise it`s a pit. Sorry to be so harsh but I`v been there and it`s quick sand.

Couldn't agree more. Very nice car, but requires full restoration. Just pull the radiator, and you will see. Can be fun, if anyone needs this as a therapy though...
Even in this case $400 is max IME

That era Lexus was one of the most reliable cars every made. 500K easy. But since it is rusty, just walk away. You can't fix that. My Mom recently sold her 93 Camry for $5K, with 70K miles. Looked brand new, no rust, no oil consumption, garaged and only driven around town and monthly trips to the city. She was literally the little old lady from Pasadena.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Fellas, in his mind he's already bought it.

Good luck with your new project A14.

Yeah, if you like the car just buy it.

I paid $250 for my Explorer in December 2018 inop from an auction. I put about $2k into it to make it a good driver. I've put 10k trouble free miles on it since repairing it...drove it to work today. There's still a to do list, but it's a good truck and I'm going to drive it into the ground.

I've got a big soft spot for 90's LS400's so as long as you're willing to take on a project I'd say it's worth $1.2K. I don't understand why everybody is alarmed by the e-fan conversion, assuming it's wired properly that's one of the very few modifications worth doing on an older car as it gives you a hp and mileage boost. As much as I like the LS400 I know it's a generic 90's luxury sedan so even a pristine one is not worth much and will never be a collector car. Also with the OP being in Minnesota for a cheap 90's era car rust is to be expected, it's not Arizona and it's not a convertible so fair to say that car has seen many salty winters.

I'd run from it - despite the fact there are now Chinese replica pieces for some of the bits on that car(PS pump, hoses, etc), it's hacked up and sounds like the TRAC system needs a new pump and accumulator, not a cheap proposition at the Lexus dealer. The pre-DBW Lexus TRAC system used a separate pump and accumulator linked to the ABS modulator and a hydraulically-actuated auxiliary throttle to retard torque. It's little quirky in how it works.

You can find a better example of a LS400, they are solid cars but like any other have their weak spots. The gotchas on these are EGR pipes, engine mounts, control arms(especially the upper control arms, dealer only - can't replace the ball joint on its own), CCFL backlight and needles in the gauge cluster and the HVAC/radio LCDs tend to go out on those. The ECU capacitors are also a weak point - there's a former Denso engineer on the ClubLexus forums that posts there.

scrap value
15.gif

Great cars, the LS400 and the SC400 are among my favorites of that era but they are getting very old and that particular LS400 is most certainly a basket case, it just screams "road hard and put up wet". You will spend more making it right then just buying a cleaner example with less issues and holding some modding till when disposable monies become available.

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone. I don't have my heart set on the car by any means, I just thought it would be a nice cruiser if the price was right. As I said, I'm happy to tinker with it in my spare time. However, I think the seller and I have completely different ideas of what the car is worth, which is fine.

I've also got my eyes peeled for a cheap LeSabre or PA, something like that, I just have a goofy taste in vehicles and don't want to spend a ton on a backup car. I'm also keeping a close eye out for something fun with a manual trans, but those are getting harder than hen's teeth to find in decent shape.

If you do get it, maybe turn the steering wheel lock to lock for a while, if the power steering pump and hose are new what the likelyhood they've never primed the air out of the system

Back