Phono cartridge sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is THC … ? Way back when it was THD I'm thinking … ?
(it has been years since I got much more than a Denon surround amp) …

Originally Posted by 4WD
What is THC … ? Way back when it was THD I'm thinking … ?
(it has been years since I got much more than a Denon surround amp) …

I think he meant THD.

From my younger days, THL = total hearing loss,
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
frown.gif

LOL! I think he was thinking of Bob Marley when he wrote THC
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD
frown.gif

LOL! I think he was thinking of Bob Marley when he wrote THC
lol.gif

I don't care about THD because I have THC and THL.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I always wondered what those laser turntables sound like. Crazy expensive though!

My understanding is you will also need a really good record cleaning machine because these laser turntables read every every every speck of dust on the vinyl.

Here's some British models -- from 2015 -- that start at 400-500 pounds and go up from there..

https://thevinylfactory.com/feature...machines-for-the-true-vinyl-connossieur/

Originally Posted by Saabist
I primarily use an Elac-Miracord 40A turntable made in West Germany, the kind with pushbutton controls. It has an aluminum platter that weighs several pounds.

[Linked Image from img20.shop-pro.jp]

Cartridge is an Audio-Technica but I don't recall the model offhand. It's coupled to a Sansui receiver and KLH speakers. Also have several players from the 1950s-1970s, including an RCA console and several luggage-type record players of various types, many with vacuum-tube electronics.

It's interesting that vinyl has seen something of a resurgence in recent years. That wasn't supposed to happen!

I'll send you a check for that turntable RIGHT NOW. I run Elac speakers......

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch

I'll send you a check for that turntable RIGHT NOW. I run Elac speakers......

I've had mine for something like 40 years now, not really interested in selling!
smile.gif
In fact right now it's playing a stack of "History of British Rock" LPs. Very nice turntable, heavily built. There are a couple of nits though... There is no anti-skating (at least none visible). Also this line of turntables has a design defect where the tone arm can get away from you as it trips the spring-loaded motor switch. (I'm always careful to make sure the arm is lifted up when operating manually.)

I was surprised to find the company is still in business and still making turntables:

https://www.elac.com/series/miracord/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Saabist
I was surprised to find the company is still in business

Thanks to Andrew Jones, their speakers have been quite popular in recent years.

Oops! I just saw my post with the THC instead of the THD ... *L* that slip up was kind of funny, a lot of that music back then/parties etc, we had low THD but high THC !
Sometimes very high THC, actually most times

I do wish I had some of the vintage stuff at times and the time to play around with it and the proper room for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back