Have we reached the ceiling in improvents to PCMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

You're assuming that the "grid" won't get expanded (stay static). I see charging stations at my local Wally's now. They're at Walgreens and hospitals and so on. The private sector will play a big part in scaling things up so you can one day travel from Vancouver BC to LA on electric...then LA to Miami and so on. The major arterials of the country will see it first probably because the traffic volume can support private sector investing. The Feds will likely have to be responsible for extending EV reach into rural America. It won't happen overnight but it will happen.

I'm not assuming anything. Show me the plans for all the new power plants we're going to need to support a hundred million electric cars. Many places can barely support the electrical loads they have right now.

There was a time when drones and autonomous cars were the stuff of science fiction and comic books but now anyone can get a drone and autonomous cars are well within reach.

These things to support a growing EV population will come as demands necessitate with private sector partnership playing a big role. Like I said, in my state (for profit) charging stations are becoming more and more commonplace popping up in all sorts of places like 7-11's and Walmart parking lots etc..and if it can be done here, it can be done anywhere. All the major car mfgs are investing hundreds of billions in EV technologies like V2G (vehicle to grid). I'm not saying (nobody is) a full blown overtake by EV will happen anytime soon or even in my lifetime but I believe definitely within my teenage kids lifetime. And a "takeover" doesn't mean all the vehicles on the road are EV but rather where the majority of models being offered for sale by a mfg are EV and not the ICE.

Never say never... like I said, I never thought I'd see the day of autonomous vehicles either, yet here we are. ...

Last edited:
Where are the autonomous cars? I don't know of any. There are some self driving ones that can drive themselves under certain conditions. The hurdles to get from that to "car, take me to Publix" are significant.

Last edited:
Where are the autonomous cars? I don't know of any. There are some self driving ones that can drive themselves under certain conditions. The hurdles to get from that to "car, take me to Publix" are significant.

Apparently you missed the "within reach" part of my post but that's ok, I pointed it out for you... again.

They're already street testing autonomous cars in SV and other places. The technology is getting there (SAE defines 4lvls of autonomous driving and we're already at Lvl 2..think parking assist, Tesla's "autopilot" etc)) but the main hurdles are public acceptance, insurance companies and lawmakers etc. All these stakeholders will require bringing along before it (lvl4 autonomy) ever becomes commonplace but the science and engineering involved is knocking on the door right now.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/self-driving-cars-explainer-2901586/

Last edited:
Just about anything is "within reach" then. The robot butler is just as close as a true self driving car. I'll just let him drive my traditional automobiles so I'll have him if I need him while I'm out.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I think we have gone off track here...

Not really. People don't understand the difference between concept or limited use tech and tech that is viable in mass implementation either now or the near future. Internal combustion engines are going to be what the general market has for decades. Engine oils will therefore continue to develop.

Seems oil companies will continue to make jet fuel for a long time.
That same process stream will make other fuels.

Just about anything is "within reach" then. The robot butler is just as close as a true self driving car. I'll just let him drive my traditional automobiles so I'll have him if I need him while I'm out.

Whatever.. sounds like you just wanna argue semantics and are set in your opinion as I am in mine. So at this point there's no value for me in continuing this conversation. Peace..

Last edited:

Whatever.. it's obvious you are set in your opinions and just wanna argue semantics, so at this point there's no value for me in continuing this conversation. Peace..

Well wait. Last time I was in Tokyo I had to talk to one of those avatar bots to check into the hotel. Seemed friendly enough.

As long as there are internal combustion engines, there will be motor oil and it will be getting thinner and thinner.

0w8 coming up.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Whatever.. it's obvious you are set in your opinions and just wanna argue semantics, so at this point there's no value for me in continuing this conversation. Peace..

Well wait. Last time I was in Tokyo I had to talk to one of those avatar bots to check into the hotel. Seemed friendly enough.

As long as there are internal combustion engines, there will be motor oil and it will be getting thinner and thinner.

0w8 coming up.

There are robots in hospital trials that "make rounds" and examine radiological film and what not. AI can launch a plane, fly it and land it. Drone swarms can monitor the battlefield and make instantaneous decisions. Several car mfgs have fully hands free driving right now on freeways for example. So while the ICE isn't going anywhere anytime soon, AI and EV technologies do integrate nicely and are the future, and it's closer than most people realize. And fwiw, I edited my prior post slightly for grammatical reasons. It's substantively the same.

Last edited:
Yes but my main point to stay on subject is that the improvements to motor oils will be focused on thinner grades that will protect engine parts as well as thicker grades.

Yes but my main point to stay on subject is that the improvements to motor oils will be focused on thinner grades that will protect engine parts as well as thicker grades.

Well enough maybe - but as well? Not quite sure that is the case...

Originally Posted by tundraotto

Well enough maybe - but as well? Not quite sure that is the case...

That would depend on your viewpoint.

I thought the data was posted on here many times that a thicker oil provided less wear than a thinner oil other things being equal...
Isn't that a fact?

Not sure if oil needs to be improved any more, properly designed car engines now last longer then the vehicles themselves.
Its really about the proper design of the engine now and oil isnt part of how long an engine will last.

Last edited:

0w8 coming up. [/quote]

Heck,
I'm still fascinated by the beer dispenser at NRT United lounge even though it's been around for years,
LoL ...

Originally Posted by 4WD
Seems oil companies will continue to make jet fuel for a long time.
That same process stream will make other fuels.

I'm wondering how much GTL will go towards fuels besides motor oil base stocks. I'm very intrigued

Originally Posted by 4WD

0w8 coming up.

Heck,
I'm still fascinated by the beer dispenser at NRT United lounge even though it's been around for years,
LoL ...
[/quote]

I haven't been in the United lounge but I've seen those Asahi beer dispensers. They are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back