It doesn't really matter which oil you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer I read BITOG and the more UOAs I see the more I'm convinced you could use any quality oil in any viscosity for any normal application (possibly excluding track cars or extreme towing, etc) because it just doesn't matter. Honestly, when is the last time you saw any data to suggest oil brand, certs or even viscosity was the cause of any adverse outcome for an engine?

Too high of a first number could cause the oil to be too thick and load down the starter too much on a very cold day. This could cause the engine to crank very slow and also cause the battery voltage to dip too low to enable the ignition system to provide a hot enough spark. Also when the fuel is very cold it does not vaporize well. All of this could end up with the spark-plugs getting wet with fuel and shorting them out. If this happens the engine will not start. A cousin of mine had this happen with his new Cadillac back in 1992 when it was -20F here in Pittsburgh PA.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
The longer I read BITOG and the more UOAs I see the more I'm convinced you could use any quality oil in any viscosity for any normal application (possibly excluding track cars or extreme towing, etc) because it just doesn't matter. Honestly, when is the last time you saw any data to suggest oil brand, certs or even viscosity was the cause of any adverse outcome for an engine? I think this place is one big over thinkers wet dream when the truth is it doesn't really make any difference in the real world.

Cool story, bro.

I have been saying it for years oils with the same ratings and from any of the majors is good to go. Most responses I get will be regurgitated marketing claims. .I am sure some may have better this or that but With out mechanical failure the engine will most likely out last the rest of the vehicle.

The longer I read BITOG and the more UOAs I see the more I'm convinced you could use any quality oil in any viscosity for any normal application (possibly excluding track cars or extreme towing, etc) because it just doesn't matter. Honestly, when is the last time you saw any data to suggest oil brand, certs or even viscosity was the cause of any adverse outcome for an engine? I think this place is one big over thinkers dream when the truth is it doesn't really make any difference in the real world.

hahaha..... I'm done preaching to the choir. It's someone else's turn.
Should be an interesting thread.
12.gif

36.gif

volk06 said:
PWMDMD said:
The longer I read BITOG and the more UOAs I see the more I'm convinced you could use any quality oil in any viscosity for any normal application (possibly excluding track cars or extreme towing, etc) because it just doesn't matter. Honestly, when is the last time you saw any data to suggest oil brand, certs or even viscosity was the cause of any adverse outcome for an engine? I think this place is one big over thinkers dream when the truth is it doesn't really make any difference in the real world.

Oh yes, I'm extremely upset about posting on a hobby forum.

How do you handle all this intelligence of yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
The longer I read BITOG and the more UOAs I see the more I'm convinced you could use any quality oil in any viscosity for any normal application (possibly excluding track cars or extreme towing, etc) because it just doesn't matter. Honestly, when is the last time you saw any data to suggest oil brand, certs or even viscosity was the cause of any adverse outcome for an engine?

I would venture to say everyone already knows this is correct.

Originally Posted by Bud

Everyone is a rather bold statement.

Originally Posted by volk06
volk06 said:
PWMDMD said:

Oh yes, I'm extremely upset about posting on a hobby forum.

It's a burden but one I must bear....

Originally Posted by Bud

You'd think yet the countless inane arguments go on and on and on.....

Originally Posted by Bud

Yet we continue to see short lived engines, engines with heavy sludge, etc.

I'm wondering how he fits through a standard door.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Bud

Clearly! The vast majority of BITOGers still think oil selection is akin to quantum mechanics.....

Originally Posted by tig1

Where?! Where are the heavy sludge engines which are clearly related to oil selection and oil selection only that weren't on the 30,000 mile OCI?

Originally Posted by kschachn

I'm wondering how he fits through a standard door.

True....I'm very tall.....

What?!?
Where?!?
When???

It's not from the choice of oils used or basestocks or moly content or the other things people think make a difference between oils that meet the same specs.

Clearly! The vast majority of BITOGers still think oil selection is akin to quantum mechanics.....

Ah, the Quantum; the interconnectedness...

Originally Posted by Imp4

What?!?
Where?!?
When???

Exactly! Yes, the rental car which used God knows which oil and hasn't been changed in 30,000 miles is not proof that engine oil selection is key to a vehicle's longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back