Brake caliper pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people mention stuck brake caliper pins. But unless the rubber boot is cracked or cut how does the pin get get stuck? The lubrication does not really wear out. So do the boots crack or get pulled off the fitting cast on the caliper?

Originally Posted by Donald
Lots of people mention stuck brake caliper pins. But unless the rubber boot is cracked or cut how does the pin get get stuck? The lubrication does not really wear out. So do the boots crack or get pulled off the fitting cast on the caliper?

Even the slightest problem with sealing on an uncracked seal can allow in water. Misalignment on reassembly, or stretching can do it.

Good question. I usually pull the pin out some after installing the boot to ensure it stays on the caliper.

Originally Posted by Donald

Most times for me, the pin boots look completely intact are still attached, sill expand and compress, yet they let contaminates in to corrode and stick the pins.

Swollen from the wrong lube? I've seen that mentioned a few times.

Not enough lube and/or never serviced? Then they start sticking and getting hot. That extra heat exacerbates the problem and it get worse until they seize?

Yup some caliper lube for the pins dries out due to the high temperature. I've had the blue stuff from permitex do that. Only use silglyde now. Never failed me.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The ones I see have grease/ lube that's dried up and became hard and sticky.

Same here. I wonder if it is where the wrong grease has been used????

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Yup some caliper lube for the pins dries out due to the high temperature. I've had the blue stuff from permitex do that. Only use silglyde now. Never failed me.

Same here, I used the Permatex "Ultra" green brake lube for years; complete crap. Almost nothing left of it in the caliper boots by the next brake job no matter how well lubed they were.

Sil-glyde is great, I'd say its on par with silicone grease but much less expensive, caliper pins stay lubed for the life of the brake pads.

Sil-Glyde is not that great as it is not 100% silicone. Something like 3M Silicone is better.

Originally Posted by painfx

Sil-Glyde is not that great as it is not 100% silicone. Something like 3M Silicone is better.

I threw all my Sil-Glyde away. It may be ok but 100% Silicone like painfx says is better. Well, at least that is what the local Lexus shop uses on their pins.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Well, at least that is what the local Lexus shop uses on their pins.

Toyota makes a glycol-based grease for those pins as well as the internal parts of the calipers that touch brake fluid.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Gebo
Well, at least that is what the local Lexus shop uses on their pins.

Toyota makes a glycol-based grease for those pins as well as the internal parts of the calipers that touch brake fluid.

I know. That's what I use. But the Lexus service mgr is my friend. And all they use for pins in his exus shop is the 3M Silicone.

Toyota actually has three different lubricants for brakes. Pink, white and moly

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone

Same here, I used the Permatex "Ultra" green brake lube for years; complete crap. Almost nothing left of it in the caliper boots by the next brake job no matter how well lubed they were.

Sil-glyde is great, I'd say its on par with silicone grease but much less expensive, caliper pins stay lubed for the life of the brake pads.

Another Permatex brake grease horror story. No matter what color the goop was, it was a sorry product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back