New Idler Pulley Noticeable Wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced an idler pulley and slapped on a new serp belt on my '08 BMW 550i and noticed that the new pulley, an INA, OE piece from FCP Euro has a slight wobble to it, honestly no different than the original pulley with 195k miles on it. Is there a normal/acceptable amount of wobble on pulleys? Or is the new one no good?

is the wobble the tensioner spring going in and out or the pully looking like a tire with a bent rim?

Do you feel for the play in the pully bearings before installing it? maybe compare the play to the old one.

You didn't accidentally put the old one back on did you?
smile.gif

A little bit of wobble at idle is normal. It's a lot of wobble when off idle that's a problem. There's a tolerance for wobble but i don't have access to the site. Try drilling down on this site for your specific vehicle --->> newTIS

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
is the wobble the tensioner spring going in and out or the pully looking like a tire with a bent rim?

Do you feel for the play in the pully bearings before installing it? maybe compare the play to the old one.

You didn't accidentally put the old one back on did you?
smile.gif

It wobbles laterally. This is the idler pulley and not the tensioner pulley...tensioner pulley looks good.

Here's what the pulley looks like: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-drive-belt-idler-assembly-x5-545i-645ci-745i-745li-11281440237

And yeah lol, I'm sure I installed the new one.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
A little bit of wobble at idle is normal. It's a lot of wobble when off idle that's a problem. There's a tolerance for wobble but i don't have access to the site. Try drilling down on this site for your specific vehicle --->> newTIS

I'll take a look at it off idle when I have a chance to see how much lateral wobble there is. I couldn't find anything regarding pulley tolerance in the workshop manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back