Idler pulley play in Accent plastic pulley.

I just replaced my sepentine belt on my Hyundai accent, and I noticed there was a small amount of back and fourth play in the idler pulley in the direction of the pulley , orthagonal to rotation axis.

My friend says that is actually normal for some of the new types of plastic idler pulley's on cars nowadays.

Is this correct, or should it be replaced?

I think it depends on how the pulley is constructed. Some plastic idlers have the bolt and bearing as items that can be seperated from the unit itself (i.e. you can replace just the bearing if you need to). Some have sealed bearings and the pulley and bearing are an integral unit. If it is an integral unit.....I would replace it.

I'd say it depends on the bearing in the center of the pulley.

If you pull it off, you can measure it and cross reference to something common, like a 6203. If you're super lucky you can still read the numbers on the bearing.

I've never seen a plastic one with a replaceable bearing.

As for your play, I'm honestly not sure. Is the bearing smooth and quiet if spun by hand?

I've bought brand new belt pullies with this same play. send it and see what happens (if it's easy to replace)

Reactions: D60
It's normal if it's low quality or worn. Whether to replace depends on how bad it is, replacement cost, burden if it fails. Probably worth replacing with a major brand. You did not mention age, mileage, but if the belt needed it, and since it's a Hyundai, would not be surprising that the idler and possibly tensioner are both shot.

There are two schools of thought. Try to replace everything ahead of time just in case, or wait till something breaks. The first is more expensive and will waste money because you don't have a crystal ball. The second will eventually leave you stranded if you own it long enough. Whether being stranded is a hardship depends on factors outside our knowledge, the value in not having that happen vs the value in saving parts cost and labor to not repair things that haven't failed yet.

How worn out do you want a thing to be? This applies to your refrigerator, shoes, etc, too.

I just replaced my sepentine belt on my Hyundai accent, and I noticed there was a small amount of back and fourth play in the idler pulley in the direction of the pulley , orthagonal to rotation axis.

My friend says that is actually normal for some of the new types of plastic idler pulley's on cars nowadays.

Is this correct, or should it be replaced?
I wouldn't worry about slight play as long as it does not wobble.

It's normal if it's low quality or worn. Whether to replace depends on how bad it is, replacement cost, burden if it fails. Probably worth replacing with a major brand. You did not mention age, mileage, but if the belt needed it, and since it's a Hyundai, would not be surprising that the idler and possibly tensioner are both shot.

There are two schools of thought. Try to replace everything ahead of time just in case, or wait till something breaks. The first is more expensive and will waste money because you don't have a crystal ball. The second will eventually leave you stranded if you own it long enough. Whether being stranded is a hardship depends on factors outside our knowledge, the value in not having that happen vs the value in saving parts cost and labor to not repair things that haven't failed yet.

How worn out do you want a thing to be? This applies to your refrigerator, shoes, etc, too.
Well said!

Spin the pulley with you hand. If it stops very quickly then continue to use it. If the pulley spins for more than a second, replace it. Why? If the pulley spins freely the lubrication is gone.

I am in the "ahead of time camp" since I go on long roadtrips. Though now I am worried because I ordered a Gates pulley, and apparently they can have poor Chinese bearings.

Heh... well if you had to, you could pack wrench(es), pulley, and belt for those trips. Back in the old days, there were more people who kept an extra belt in their vehicle, swapped it out before it was shot so they had the new belt on and a spare that wasn't shot yet.

Back