Late night commotion outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could hear the thunder of hoofs in my back yard last night. Looked outside, I could see several deer high tailing it out of my back yard. Then in the morning I see this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whatever it was, it was following the deer. The are no dogs on the loose around here.

Does seem like coyote. A pack tried to get me 19 year old cat who cowered in grill. A Barbie 3 year old sized piano broke them up fast when I threw it at them on my back deck.

Those pictures are difficult to see definition. It was on the hunt, did one circle with a few step and sniff's, and it kept going, its a full predator.

The second Pic gives better clues, bears should be asleep where you are and that's no bear print. If you have wolves, that's a possibility/small wolf, but its probably a big coyote and not a Cat! A Cat is the one you don't want it to be!

Coyotes or coydogs probably. There are very few Cougars/Mountain Lions in the eastern US, officially their range does not extend past the Mississippi river and there are only isolated individuals east of the Rockies after,the native populations were hunted to extinction in the late 1800's to early 1900's. There have been confirmed sightings of isolated individuals in Northern New England and Southern Ontario but they are exceedingly rare. *Except for the Florida Everglades, they've got a breeding population of cougars and not just the type looking for free drinks at the Tiki bar.

Originally Posted by GZRider
*Except for the Florida Everglades, they've got a breeding population of cougars and not just the type looking for free drinks at the Tiki bar.

Now I don't mind running into those kind of cougars ...

Something weird must be going on with the bears, it looks like one just took down one of our bird feeders and severely bent the hook it was on at our place near the MA/NH border.
It also relieved itself in the woods just off our yard and has apparently been eating quite well!

We also found some frozen tracks in the area that look like they might be from a sandhill crane...large three toed tracks with the toes widely spread, almost a T.

Originally Posted by madRiver
NH does have bobcats and have been observed in my area and at neighbors. No idea if that paw fits the bill.

Thats what I'm thinking. Notice the gate in my photos. Something moving slow. Seems too close for a Coyote gate, and the pawmarks too large.

Could be just a dog. When out at the farm our Germsn Shepard/Australian Kelpie cross likes to hunt deer. She even got a 4 point buck once.

Originally Posted by madRiver
NH does have bobcats and have been observed in my area and at neighbors. No idea if that paw fits the bill.

Yep, I saw one at my old house. What was wild was seeing one in Danbury CT too! My wife and I both saw them, both times.

Took some more pics before the rain. The animal was stalking deer using the above ground pool as cover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 toes??? What has 3 toes?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back