Late night commotion outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Something weird must be going on with the bears, it looks like one just took down one of our bird feeders and severely bent the hook it was on at our place near the MA/NH border.
It also relieved itself in the woods just off our yard and has apparently been eating quite well!

We also found some frozen tracks in the area that look like they might be from a sandhill crane...large three toed tracks with the toes widely spread, almost a T.

I feel stupid...my wife figured out the bird track was just from a turkey.
She agreed with me that they looked WAY too big to be from a turkey, but she poked around online and the size was just right. It did sound truly weird that a crane would be hanging around us in the winter...we don't see turkeys all that much when it's cold, but they are around.

In the northeast, we have a large population of coyotes that have bred with wolves over the year and are quite large (up to 75 pounds) as compared to traditional pure bred coyotes found in other parts of the country. I live next to a large fended in NYC reservoir just outside of the north NYC Bronx border. There are a bunch of these large coyotes that have been living in the reservoir for many years now. There are two in particular that run up to the fence, then quickly back away when I am walking my lab retriever by the fence. They seem more curious than anything else, but I am glad they are on the other side of that chain link fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back