Another motorcraft failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen online where the 820 filter tears but the fl500s and fl910s are holding up better. I decided to cut open one from a work truck service this week. It's off of a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 engine. Filter is a Fl500s used with havoline pro ds 5w20 for 3,500 miles. There is a small tear at the bottom of one of the pleats near the glued joint. I thought the pleat came unglued but after moving it aside it's definitely a tear.

20191211_101513.jpg

20191211_101526.jpg

20191211_101542.jpg

Googling
purolator tear site:bobistheoilguy.com
reveals a lot of this. Puro makes Motorcraft.
Ford even had a video for techs that said to look for pieces of oil filter clogging variable valve hydraulic paths inside the engine!
And yet Ford, as is typical for those running that company, years later still does nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by paoester
Googling
Ford even had a video for techs that said to look for pieces of oil filter clogging variable valve hydraulic paths inside the engine!
And yet Ford, as is typical for the idiots running that company, years later still does nothing.

At the time that tsb came out for the 5.4 3v engines the blame was being placed on aftermarket filters. Now the recommended Motorcraft filters are the ones having the issues.
I'd really like to see Ford change a few suppliers maybe move to East Penn batteries from Johnson Controls and either Wix or Fram oil filters from Purolator.

Originally Posted by cb_13
Googling
And yet Ford, as is typical for the idiots running that company, years later still does nothing.

At the time that tsb came out for the 5.4 3v engines the blame was being placed on aftermarket filters. Now the recommended Motorcraft filters are the ones having the issues.
I'd really like to see Ford change a few suppliers maybe move to East Penn batteries from Johnson Controls and either Wix or Fram oil filters from Purolator.

I agree. It's time to change suppliers and specs on Motorcraft filters. Those filter haven't changed at all but the OCI has doubled in the last few years.

Seriously it makes you think high level Ford execs are being bribed under the table by Purolator (Mann-Hummel) execs to keep the contract.
I mean, really, its ridiculous how long this has been going on.
Certainly the Ford warranty costs (and customer satisfaction) is only slightly impacted, to be fair, but its easy to find another supplier for this stuff.

Its always the same place. A media tear near the hard metal end cap. Don't hear about that happening with a paper end cap Fram. Maybe because a paper end cap flexes during high pressure, high RPM situations ?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Its always the same place. A media tear near the hard metal end cap. Don't hear about that happening with a paper end cap Fram. Maybe because a paper end cap flexes during high pressure, high RPM situations ?
That and cold weather thick oil starts hit the media hard.

This was a 6 month interval. The filter was in service from June to December. This truck in particular idles a lot. It sees very little highway speed and lots of short trips.

LOL just did a OCI on a "FLIP" 05 crown vic police i'm selling and we used the MC 820S filter

Glad I read this and will no longer buy motorocraft filters

Dave

I'm curious to know what the manufacture date is. We haven't seen these tear for it seems a couple years now. Ripping ADBVs on the other hand....

It seems that when cost cutting an oil filter, if the overall construction and quality can't be compromised, then the only thing left to cheapen is the media. Not good.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I'm curious to know what the manufacture date is. We haven't seen these tear for it seems a couple years now. Ripping ADBVs on the other hand....

Do you have your decoder ring?

20191211_135845.jpg

Too many other filters on the market to purchase MC and/or Purolator swill. I never used Purolator until joining BITOG (it was the darling filter at the time), but tears began showing up in both brands not long after and I had one tear in 3 places.

Pick any other filter and you will be fine.

Seriously it makes you think high level Ford execs are being bribed under the table by Purolator (Mann-Hummel) execs to keep the contract.
I mean, really, its ridiculous how long this has been going on.
Certainly the Ford warranty costs (and customer satisfaction) is only slightly impacted, to be fair, but its easy to find another supplier for this stuff.

So, Ford is being bribed by Mann-Hummel?

Bribed into using filters, from the same company that you chose to use on your 2019 car?

I can't figure out out why you would think that's a) happening, or b) a bad thing...

I mean, Ford, being bribed into making your selection, right?

Originally Posted by mpgo4th

[Linked Image]

Do you have your decoder ring?

Motorcraft date codes are easy. That's 3/19/2019 (2nd thru 7 digits in the code = 031919).

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
This will not stop me from using MC FL-400S filters. I don't need 5 minutes of fame to change my mind.
coffee2.gif

No, we know what gave you 5 minutes of fame (at least some of us remember.)

So you are saying the OP's 5 minutes of fame is to post a deceptive or false claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back