Glock 44
by bradepb - 01/22/20 08:04 AM
Open up area in basement
by redhat - 01/22/20 07:42 AM
Briggs Intek Leaking Crankshaft Oil Seal
by UncleNorby - 01/22/20 06:26 AM
1ZZ-FE MR-2 (weekends and trackdays)
by geetar - 01/22/20 04:58 AM
Did Rotella Ever Have JASO MA Certification?
by BBDartCA - 01/22/20 12:49 AM
Old Tundra Headlamp Upgrade
by JeffKeryk - 01/21/20 09:41 PM
Newest Members
Phildrum, 335xiE92FBO, oldrover, sarojasaruu, someoldguy
70503 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (28oz, 335xiE92FBO, 69Torino, aircooled, 1978elcamino, 4 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics300,434
Posts5,175,704
Members70,503
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 6 7 8
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Donald] #5278185 11/26/19 05:17 PM
B
bubbatime Offline
B
Internet is $9.95 a month.

Netflix is $9 a month. Prime I always have, for the shipping, and music and picture storage. Some OK shows and movies on Prime.

I have used Sling, Hulu live, and YouTube TV. I highly preferred YouTube TV over the others. I didnt watch enough TV to actually pay for it, so I cancelled them.

Pluto TV is free, a couple hundred channels. You can always find something to watch on their.

Tubi has plenty of free content.

The Roku free channel has rotating content that changes every month. Lots of free content there.

Crackle has plenty of free tv and movies.

Hoopla I log in with my library card number and it allows me to "check out" new release movies and tv shows from my local library system, for free.

Popcorn Flix has plenty of free movies.

There is a TON of free content. If I was an inmate with a 25 year sentence that watched tv for 18 hours a day, I dont think I would run out of content to watch.

If you google how to, you can watch a ton of bootleg content for free on the Amazon fire stick. Movies that are still in the theater, for free. Pay per view events for free. Every hockey, NFL, college football game, with no blackouts, all in high definition, for free.

2019 Honda CRV 1.5T dealer bulk
2017 Chrysler Pacifica SuperTech synthetic 5W20
2013 Yamaha XT250 Valvoline motorcycle 10W40
2006 GMC Sierra SuperTech high mileage 5W30

Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: alarmguy] #5278195 11/26/19 05:29 PM
S
Skippy722 Online Happy
Online Happy
S
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Here is where buying a good quality TV pays off. The upconverting and local dimming will bring satisfaction from any streaming service.
Meaning, you really dont need to pay extra for Netlfex 4k if your TV has really good up converting and your watching it on a 65 inch Tv at 5 feet or more from the screen.

Something in the areas of the Sony 900 and up series and the equal of Samsung and LG.
These sets are in the 1200 to 2000 range. not the 200 to 500.

All but the absolute cheapest of TV’s do a decent job of upscaling content. I can’t really tell a difference between my $500 65” TCL tv and one that costs 3x as much when streaming.

That being said, if you have an older tv, the new ones are significantly better. My parents went from a Vizio they bought in 2007 to a new LG that was half the cost a few months ago. The difference is truly amazing.

2016 Chrysler 300S v6
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT

Slight Mopar obsession
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Donald] #5278273 11/26/19 06:53 PM
A
alarmguy Offline
A
What someone describes as heavily compressed is subjective without the data.

Im not saying depending on what area of the country an OTA cant be 'heavily" compressed but find it hard to believe it can be anywhere near any pay TV site.
But its easy as heck for anyone to confirm signal. Again, Im not saying Quattro is wrong but will be the first instance I have heard in 10 years. At least one thing is true, the OTA is free and the signal is just as good as the pay tv companies at the very least. :o)

Pay TV compression is fact. OTA granted can be compressed but would be on a local level, not necesserly regional. Meaning your broadcast towers are local.

Remember I am talking the Major network stations, not "side" channels.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: alarmguy] #5278404 11/26/19 09:26 PM
Quattro Pete Offline
I have not seen you present any data either.

Im not saying depending on what area of the country an OTA cant be 'heavily" compressed but find it hard to believe it can be anywhere near any pay TV site.
That's what I thought, too, until I saw my local OTA channels. Not saying they're awful or unwatchable. It's just that you can see compression artifacts, similar to what I saw from DirecTV and ATT Uverse. If you sit 10 feet away or more from a 55" TV, it's a non issue regardless of source.

2002 530i   2015 Q5 3.0T   2018 Charger SRT
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Quattro Pete] #5278614 11/27/19 07:32 AM
A
alarmguy Offline
A
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

That's what I thought, too, until I saw my local OTA channels. Not saying they're awful or unwatchable. It's just that you can see compression artifacts, similar to what I saw from DirecTV and ATT Uverse. If you sit 10 feet away or more from a 55" TV, it's a non issue regardless of source.

Ummm .. I think you are contesting my statement. I haven't seen anyplace in your post how you have viewed both sources in your home and compared.
I have and countless others agree, in addition to professionals (lack of better words) in the press by using a search engine.
True, it is subjective and WHY all one needs to do is hook an antenna up to their TV and see for themselves, that would be my "source" for others, I would bet most areas fo the country would be in favor of OTA except some areas like you state, assuming you have tried it.

Click here

and here ...

and here ...

and here ..

and here ...

Best of the best, dont miss this one! - Click

Put on your reading glasses to check the resolution of the Oakland Raiders Logo. Check the word for crisp text, Cable TV doesnt come close to the resolution of the Antenna OTA picture on the left.
Left picture is the free TV antenna picture, Right Picture is the Pay TV Cable Picture.

[Linked Image from images.idgesg.net]

Same Here Broadcast TV on Left, Cable Right

[Linked Image from images.idgesg.net]

Last edited by alarmguy; 11/27/19 07:48 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: alarmguy] #5278686 11/27/19 08:55 AM
Quattro Pete Offline
I haven't seen anyplace in your post how you have viewed both sources in your home and compared.

I did. Bought and hooked up OTA antenna before shutting off my ATT TV service.

I have and countless others agree, in addition to professionals (lack of better words) in the press by using a search engine.
True, it is subjective and WHY all one needs to do is hook an antenna up to their TV and see for themselves, that would be my "source" for others, I would bet most areas fo the country would be in favor of OTA except some areas like you state, assuming you have tried it.

Again, I never said OTA is no better than other sources everywhere. Only in my area as that that is what I recently compared.

From what I recall living in other parts of the country, OTA did provide better picture quality.

YMMV is all I am saying.

Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Skippy722] #5278709 11/27/19 09:31 AM
marine65 Offline
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Here is where buying a good quality TV pays off. The upconverting and local dimming will bring satisfaction from any streaming service.
Meaning, you really dont need to pay extra for Netlfex 4k if your TV has really good up converting and your watching it on a 65 inch Tv at 5 feet or more from the screen.

Something in the areas of the Sony 900 and up series and the equal of Samsung and LG.

All but the absolute cheapest of TV’s do a decent job of upscaling content. I can’t really tell a difference between my $500 65” TCL tv and one that costs 3x as much when streaming.

That being said, if you have an older tv, the new ones are significantly better. My parents went from a Vizio they bought in 2007 to a new LG that was half the cost a few months ago. The difference is truly amazing.

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and saw a 58" HDR 5K T.V. for $288.
I know it wont be as good as more expensive sets but a family on a tight budget can have a decent T.V. for $300 with tax.

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT black
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT silver
yup got two of them.
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Donald] #5278724 11/27/19 09:46 AM
marine65 Offline
Would a 120 channel package from cable or satellite have less compression then a 180 channel package?

I have Direct T.V. and an antenna as a back up when I lose the satellite due to storms.
I'm 3 miles from the transmitter that sits high on a mountain so my picture is perfect.
The over the air is just slightly better than the satellite.
But the over the air sound is much better.

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT black
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT silver
yup got two of them.
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: marine65] #5278750 11/27/19 10:15 AM
Quattro Pete Offline
Originally Posted by marine65
Would a 120 channel package from cable or satellite have less compression then a 180 channel package?
No. It'll be the same.

But the over the air sound is much better.

You should be getting Dolby Digital 5.1 from most major TV stations, regardless if it comes OTA or from the cable company, so it should sound the same once proccessed through an HT receiver, but I suppose it's possible the cable company is messing with the audio signal.

Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Donald] #5279044 11/27/19 04:24 PM
D
dubber09 Online Content
Online Content
D
IPTV boxes are cheap to buy and subscriptions are quite cheap too.
We got a box and a year subscription for $120 Canadian with (I think) at least 500 channels or so.
TV is live only while TV Series can be watched on demand.

Kia Sportage 2014 GDI 2.4L
Kia Forte 2014 MPI 1.8L
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: marine65] #5280644 11/29/19 06:43 PM
A
alarmguy Offline
A
Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and saw a 58" HDR 5K T.V. for $288.
I know it wont be as good as more expensive sets but a family on a tight budget can have a decent T.V. for $300 with tax.

Absolutely, there are even 65 inch TVs close to that price range now.
Without comparing side by side in your home you'll be perfectly happy with any of these TVs.
Assuming of course they prove reliable but that goes with any brand.
We went from a 58 in lower-priced Samsung to a 65in Sony X900 something TV.
We were perfectly happy with the Samsung picture but being where we are at this time in our lives we figured we would step it up after extensive research. The true contrast ratio and unbelievable black levels of the Sony blew us away when we hooked it up. The picture was so deep and rich until we got used to it was almost 3D like. I was relieved after what we spent.
The more expensive sets in the mid to high price range give you true local dimming which results in true HDR even though just about every set claims HDR it isn't the same.
But I'll repeat again all these sets deliver nice picture.
It's almost like a good sound system unless you're looking for and listening for every little detail they're all pretty good.
disclaimer, I haven't personally checked out any of these really less expensive sets that have just been hitting the market I think there is also something to be said on how well they upconvert to 4K versus the much more expensive sets but again either way people who don't wish to spend a lot I think we'll be more than happy.

Ps to quattro, all is good I understand what you are saying with the local channel compression.

Last edited by alarmguy; 11/29/19 06:59 PM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: dubber09] #5280757 11/29/19 09:37 PM
R
RazorsEdge Offline
R
Originally Posted by dubber09
IPTV boxes are cheap to buy and subscriptions are quite cheap too.
We got a box and a year subscription for $120 Canadian with (I think) at least 500 channels or so.
TV is live only while TV Series can be watched on demand.

Careful-FBI is cracking down on some of these providers...

Just saying... 😎

Schaeffers Oils

2015 Ford Escape
1987 Ford Mustang - Vortech Supercharged 😎
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Warstud] #5281599 12/01/19 02:21 AM
T
Toros Offline
T
Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by JTK
I'm still trying to figure out your claim of Netflix Hulu and Amazon for $20. Netflix by itself is $8-9/mo.

I'm not knocking you. Just trying to learn!

Hulu Premium (with no ads) is $12/month. I suppose one could claim that Amazon Video is free if you already have Amazon Prime.

Don't forget to add in Internet cost.... since you need that to stream.

... Yeah....that is the ugly little secret the "cord cutters" conveniently leave out. You can't stream jack with DSL so cable and fiber optic are the only game in town... yeah there's Direct TV... but than you still need internet in your home and sorry, if you think that the data plan, whatever it is from your cell phone carrier is internet, you may as well live in a cave. Every cable provider knows that.

Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: Toros] #5281601 12/01/19 02:31 AM
S
Skippy722 Online Happy
Online Happy
S
Originally Posted by Toros

... Yeah....that is the ugly little secret the "cord cutters" conveniently leave out. You can't stream jack with DSL so cable and fiber optic are the only game in town... yeah there's Direct TV... but than you still need internet in your home and sorry, if you think that the data plan, whatever it is from your cell phone carrier is internet, you may as well live in a cave. Every cable provider knows that.

I don’t think they’re leaving it out, as most people are running internet+tv+their choice of streaming services. If they can get most of not all their entertainment from streaming alone, why also pay for TV service? As for living in a cave, streaming from a cell phone would work just fine for me wink Not bad for being in a basement out in the country!

[Linked Image]

2016 Chrysler 300S v6
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT

Slight Mopar obsession
Re: More on Cord Cutting - costs going up [Re: CKN] #5281602 12/01/19 02:31 AM
T
Toros Offline
T
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by madRiver
If you rely on internet for work then $70/month is peanuts based off typical salary. I happily pay $80/month to Xfinity for internet. Beyond reliable but neighbor(we share line) apparently has the $500/month commercial offering for according to the Xfinity tech. They get our line up ASAP.

I understand what you are saying, I am simply pointing out, whether for work or pleasure, whether it is my house or the house next door, a 75% ish price increase is retarded with no option from the company to go to a slower speed, this is because , mega mergers between internet providers AND Spectrum has to keep profits up and millions of people cancel their pay TV service.
There will be a time that similar things happen with pay internet. 5G, various cell phone providers and in our area, our electric utility offering faster speeds ($49)at close to 40% lower prices then Spectrum.
This is the good news about free markets, once price gets crazy, someone will always come along and do it cheaper. As far as internet for work and being peanuts, its certainly is since my wifes company pays for it!

I dont know why a consumer would happily pay Xfinity $80 a month for internet when less then 5 years ago you could get it for $39 or less, at least here.

When people are paying that much (like me) it's because in reality there are no viable options.....ComCast (Xfinity) knows that too.

Precisely.

Page 7 of 8 1 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™