More on Cord Cutting - costs going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alarmguy and JTK: I love my Roku and indoor antenna. Thanks for the help and info gents
smile.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Roku of course will like Warstud said add channels on its own.

In the years that I've owned my two Roku boxes, I have never seen it add any channels on its own.

If it happens, it is most likely inadvertently user initiated, for example by accidentally pressing a remote button while a certain screensaver is on. The 'Cityscape' screensaver is often to blame:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/83pgl2/roku_automatically_adds_channels/

Also, once you add a channel to one of your Roku players, it will automatically get installed on all your other Roku boxes.

My current setup is an amplified attic mounted antenna (Mohu Sky 60) for local content, a Roku Ultra (2018) and 100Mbps fiber based internet (via TDS). I also am paying for TDS Basic cable which totals $145/month for both.
Hence, why I'm wanting to cut TDS cable (keeping the internet at roughly $55/mo) and use a streaming service of some sort along with OTA and Roku based free streaming services to save some money.
I also have Amazon Prime so we get the Prime Video service and we are about to dump Netflix ($15/mo).

As a trial, I signed up with Sling Blue w/Total TV package but am unhappy with what it lacks. I've also looked at AT&T TV NOW (the former DirectTV NOW service) but it has limitations as well.
From what quickie research I've been able to do, it looks like YouTube TV for $50/mo has most everything I am looking for. I just am not super comfortable with Google getting even more fingers in my pie (I have a Google Pixel 2 phone on Verizon as well). Perhaps that is a little too paranoid...

Comments?

BTW: I do like the Roku and I do watch Pluto TV. The Kaloopy channel is "interesting".

For what the streaming services cost now, it doesn't make any sense anymore, for me anyway. I have used Sling, PlaystationVue, DirectTV Now, YouTube TV, the Spectrum TV app service, and probably something else I'm forgetting. I went back to a normal non-streaming service.

I have more complicated requirements than most people. My wife requires Brazilian live TV, such is life if you are married to a Brazilian lady. I require Longhorn Network and all UT-Austin football, basketball and volleyball games at a minimum, and sometimes I watch UT baseball and softball also. And HGTV/DIY. The Big 12 has content agreements with ESPN and Fox so I need ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU, FS1/FS2, Fox live and ABC live, in addition to Longhorn Network. And for Brazilian content at least the Globo channel, which is the most widely watched service in Brazil. There really isn't any cheaper way to get the games I want than having a traditional terrestrial based TV content service. I do Sling Brazilian for the Brazilian content. If I could find the Globo channel somewhere else for a lower price, I would do it in a heartbeat. Sling does throw in some interesting channels with Sling Brazilian like HGTV, we use that to record House Hunters so we can watch it in any room. Sling Brazilian costs $25 a month. If you pair it with Orange or Blue it's only $15 but then you're paying for Sling Orange or Sling Blue.

With regards to traditional service, I have my choice of three providers that have internet and TV content deals for less than $100 all in. I'm using AT&T Fiber because it has the best upload speeds and therefore WFH performance, I realize that isn't an option for many people, but I can get Spectrum or Suddenlink also. So I have the AT&T Fiber 300/300 service and Uverse U200, my bill is $92 a month all in and it has all the content that I want. AT&T charges $70 a month for 300/300 only but if you get it with TV it's not that much more, I think my plan before taxes is $79. They very clearly incentivize you to use them for content if you buy your Internet. The drawback is that AT&T Uverse does not have Brazilian content.

DirecTV does offer a Brazilian package and you get a discount with the fiber service but I'm not really a fan of DirecTV in general. And I require 99.999% uptime during UT football games - period. I have the router, Uverse box and living room TV on UPS backups for this reason. I can't be having the satellite go out if we have a thunderstorm and the game is on ESPN or FS1. You may call this vapid, and you may be right, but I don't care - it's my preference and my money.

I refuse to pay for more than 1 box so I have to watch the AT&T Uverse DVR in the living room but I don't mind that drawback - I can watch my HouseHunters recordings on any TV by using Sling Brazilian to record it rather than AT&T. We have Rokus on every TV.

We also have Netflix through our T-Mobile phone service, and Amazon Prime through having it. I pay $3 a month extra to have access to 4K content on Netflix, the T-Mobile subscription only gets you 1080p. I don't pay for Prime to have the TV service anyway, but it's there if we find something interesting.

I could drop all the live TV and go to the games. I was unmarried for all of my 30s and during that time I would go to almost every UT football game. 5 different seasons in the '00s I attended all the games, home, away, conference champ, bowl, whatever. In the 2005 national championship season I attended all 13 games in person including the championship game against USC in the Rose Bowl. But as I tell my wife, it's a lot cheaper to just pay for cable.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Alarmguy and JTK: I love my Roku and indoor antenna. Thanks for the help and info gents
smile.gif

Sure thing! Glad to hear it, thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Roku of course will like Warstud said add channels on its own.

In the years that I've owned my two Roku boxes, I have never seen it add any channels on its own.

If it happens, it is most likely inadvertently user initiated, for example by accidentally pressing a remote button while a certain screensaver is on. The 'Cityscape' screensaver is often to blame:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/83pgl2/roku_automatically_adds_channels/

Also, once you add a channel to one of your Roku players, it will automatically get installed on all your other Roku boxes.

I have a Roku TV and at first I noticed the Home Menu changed a bit and then seen Pluto was in there.

Sadly, now that the pay TV providers are losing customers by the millions they need to make up for that lost money = higher and much higher internet rates.
They know choices are limited to where else you can get service but that is changing, it will buy them time, but in time, they will lose at that too. 5g networks coming out plus the cell phone companies offering routers to cell service ect.

Ridiculous price increases from (former TWC) Spectrum, its a problem when the Federal government allows these monsters to buy each other out.
Anyway, we are up to $70.00 a month as of last month for 100/12 service and that is with our own router, if they provided it, it would be $75.
Their lowest tier of service is the 100/12, we used to be happy with 10. then 25, then they bumped us up to 100 and ultimately a 75% price increase over the last 3 years.

Go figure. Good news is for us, we have a private company with fiber already run, though our electric co-op. Thing is they are moving as slow as a snail, fiber have been run all along the main roads in our area but not into the communities yet, looks like a year behind schedule. Price is $49 for 100/100.

For us personally, its just the crazy pricing, knowing your options are limited. However we do not pay for our internet so we are lucky. My wifes company picks up the bill but I will switch anyway for the faster 100/100 at almost 1/2 the price whenever they get around to coming into our community. Normally I am sure I could get a lower cost with Verizon/ATT ect and would switch for that price but now with the wife working from home and everything working sooo flawless I cant mess around with companies like I used to.
We REALLY rely on the internet connection, if its interrupted she cant work, she will get paid but, still cant take a chance of a long outage by switching. Neighbor just had that issue with ATT when he switched, trucks were there, at times, for literally hours to another full day, then on and off there for weeks and I have to ask him if they ever got it right.

FYI - We are NOT an advanced society, yet, this is the tip of the iceberg, Childrens children will look back at these days like we look back at the invention of electricity, assuming we survive that long.

Last edited:
If you rely on internet for work then $70/month is peanuts based off typical salary. I happily pay $80/month to Xfinity for internet. Beyond reliable but neighbor(we share line) apparently has the $500/month commercial offering for according to the Xfinity tech. They get our line up ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm still not positive what my internet only bill is going to be with spectrum since I dumped the basic TV portion. Next bill is going to be prorated,etc.

I was paying something like $59.99 for the internet portion. $69.99 minus a $10 bundle discount, plus tax. I'm *assuming* I'll be paying in the mid $70 range for it now. Still sucks, but better than the ~$143 from before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
If you rely on internet for work then $70/month is peanuts based off typical salary. I happily pay $80/month to Xfinity for internet. Beyond reliable but neighbor(we share line) apparently has the $500/month commercial offering for according to the Xfinity tech. They get our line up ASAP.

I understand what you are saying, I am simply pointing out, whether for work or pleasure, whether it is my house or the house next door, a 75% ish price increase is retarded with no option from the company to go to a slower speed, this is because , mega mergers between internet providers AND Spectrum has to keep profits up and millions of people cancel their pay TV service.
There will be a time that similar things happen with pay internet. 5G, various cell phone providers and in our area, our electric utility offering faster speeds ($49)at close to 40% lower prices then Spectrum.
This is the good news about free markets, once price gets crazy, someone will always come along and do it cheaper. As far as internet for work and being peanuts, its certainly is since my wifes company pays for it!

I dont know why a consumer would happily pay Xfinity $80 a month for internet when less then 5 years ago you could get it for $39 or less, at least here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
I'm still not positive what my internet only bill is going to be with spectrum since I dumped the basic TV portion. Next bill is going to be prorated,etc.

I was paying something like $59.99 for the internet portion. $69.99 minus a $10 bundle discount, plus tax. I'm *assuming* I'll be paying in the mid $70 range for it now. Still sucks, but better than the ~$143 from before.

WOW, $143?
Yes, you will be down to $69.99 assuming you own your own router, Here and I assume there, you get a $5 discount if you buy your own router. We would be $74.95 if we didnt own our own. It is worth it to do as. you can get a far superior router for $100 and in less then 2 years its paid for but forget that, range eat will be better.
The modem is still free from Spectrum of course.

have a nice winter! *L* Spent my whole life on Long Island until 13 years ago, sick of the politics taxes and short summers up there. I remeber watching the massive snow storms up there on the evening news.
I enjoy storms but since being here, much more enjoying longer summers. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

WOW, $143?
Yes, you will be down to $69.99 assuming you own your own router, Here and I assume there, you get a $5 discount if you buy your own router. We would be $74.95 if we didnt own our own. It is worth it to do as. you can get a far superior router for $100 and in less then 2 years its paid for but forget that, range eat will be better.
The modem is still free from Spectrum of course.

have a nice winter! *L* Spent my whole life on Long Island until 13 years ago, sick of the politics taxes and short summers up there. I remeber watching the massive snow storms up there on the evening news.
I enjoy storms but since being here, much more enjoying longer summers. :eek:)

Yep, I've owned my own router for a few years. I just choose what ever is on the spectrum "approved" list of routers and go with it.

LOL Gotta enjoy the 5 months worth of warmish weather we do get!

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying, I am simply pointing out, whether for work or pleasure, whether it is my house or the house next door, a 75% ish price increase is retarded with no option from the company to go to a slower speed, this is because , mega mergers between internet providers AND Spectrum has to keep profits up and millions of people cancel their pay TV service.
There will be a time that similar things happen with pay internet. 5G, various cell phone providers and in our area, our electric utility offering faster speeds ($49)at close to 40% lower prices then Spectrum.
This is the good news about free markets, once price gets crazy, someone will always come along and do it cheaper. As far as internet for work and being peanuts, its certainly is since my wifes company pays for it!

I dont know why a consumer would happily pay Xfinity $80 a month for internet when less then 5 years ago you could get it for $39 or less, at least here.

When people are paying that much (like me) it's because in reality there are no viable options.....ComCast (Xfinity) knows that too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

When people are paying that much (like me) it's because in reality there are no viable options.....ComCast (Xfinity) knows that too.

Our "options" are

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by CKN

Our "options" are And then they throw a data cap on it!
mad.gif

Comcast in markets where there is no competition-caps at 1TB. I'm no fan of Comcast/Xfinity but unless you are living in your Mom's basement-not working and play video games at night that's enough for the average family.

Originally Posted by CKN

Comcast in markets where there is no competition-caps at 1TB. I'm no fan of Comcast/Xfinity but unless you are living in your Mom's basement-not working and play video games at night that's enough for the average family.

It's the principle of it. Data isn't a non-renewable resource, but I also understand that there is only so much bandwidth available at a given time. I'd be okay with being throttled if I exceeded a set limit during periods of congestion (I've used more than my fair share, give other people priority, fair enough), but charging more for "blocks" of data that don't roll over is asinine.

The 10.5 hours average of overtime I worked last year doesn't leave me much time to play games... But the games are only getting larger. The new Call of Duty was over 100gb!

Originally Posted by CKN
Not if you are Internet streaming all/most of your TV in HD to several sets. You would be surprised at how much monthly data this actually uses.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by CKN
Not if you are Internet streaming all/most of your TV in HD to several sets. You would be surprised at how much monthly data this actually uses.

I am well aware how much data one can use. If your streaming network TV-that's nonsensical. I do understand that a very small part of the population lives out of reach of TV broadcast towers, but for those who do live with in reach of broadcast signals there are many wall mounted, attic mounted and roof mounted antennas that will actually provide a truly great picture on your wide screen. Also streaming in 4k is unnecessary. It's funny-now with streaming/game playing, etc., everyone thinks they have a birthright to stream as much as they want-and not pay (fully) for it.

I sold computer RAID systems for a living-I am quite aware of what (data) infrastructure costs.

With regards to data-consider the following-
https://www.consumerreports.org/telecom-services/how-easy-to-burn-through-1TB-data-cap/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back