No Monday night football for Spectrum / Charter customers?

I found this article interesting as 15 years ago or so I cut cable because I was tired of paying too much for sports channels I don't watch. I like sports, just not watching them on TV.

Fast forward - major dispute between Disney - who owns the rights to Monday Nigh Football, and Spectrum - who is at odds with Disney on their current contract. Seems Spectrum wants Disney to give all Spectrum customers access to add suported Disney streaming for free.

Early Friday, Charter executives called the pay-TV ecosystem “broken.” They said they pushed for a revamped deal with Disney that would see Charter cable customers receive access to Disney’s ad-supported streaming services like Disney+ and ESPN+ at no additional cost.

I don't know - sounds like a good deal for Disney actually - get all the spectrum customers liking the Disney streaming, then cut the deal with Spectrum and see how many come buy it direct?

Thoughts on what will happen / who might win? I find the dynamic of a legacy cable company demanding their customers get free streeming quite interesting?

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/01/disney-charter-battle-over-spectrum-blackout.html

Disney wants more money per TV subscriber so Charter's trying to flip the script by saying, "Ok, if..."

I've never had cable. I'd buy ESPN a la carte on a streaming service if I were interested in that one particular channel. Disney isn't dumb, neither is CBS or any of the other few oligopolies, so they try to make things an "all or nothing" deal.

I think the cable model is broken and lots of turmoil coming for networks, carriers, and sports teams.

I currently don’t have Fox/CW as part of my DIRECTV/ATT stream package as they can’t come to terms. Ballys Sports bankruptcy filing is going to impact quite a few MLB, NHL and NBA teams as well.

Just purchase internet from them, and purchase one of the more comprehensive streaming services.
You will have everything you currently have, and save a nice piece of change in the process.

Disney wants more money per TV subscriber so Charter's trying to flip the script by saying, "Ok, if..."

I've never had cable. I'd buy ESPN a la carte on a streaming service if I were interested in that one particular channel. Disney isn't dumb, neither is CBS or any of the other few oligopolies, so they try to make things an "all or nothing" deal.
Streaming is exactly what is killing cable TV.

Content owners like Disney would love to part with the cable outlets and sell to customers direct, they just can't afford to drop 15M subscribers in one go. This sort of starts the transition for them - once all spectrum owners have Disney Streaming - they may decide that's a better deal than Charter to being with and move on their own, or enough move that Disney doesn't care about Charter anymore?

This is the result of endless greed (both sides).. When is enough money, enough? When the world is not enough... it will collapse.. inevitable

Just purchase internet from them, and purchase one of the more comprehensive streaming services.
You will have everything you currently have, and save a nice piece of change in the process.
That’s what I did-the Spectrum bundle, with one Spectrum Mobile (1GB data) cell & VOIP home phone, kept getting more & more expensive-approaching $170/month total. Dumped Spectrum for everything, consolidated home & wife’s cell onto 1 line-first Mint Mobile for $15 + tax, then Tello for $9 and basically NO tax, T-Mobile (& then back to Spectrum internet only) for ~$50, & Hulu+ Live TV for ~$75. More channels, Peacock for $19.99 A YEAR (if you flip names/emails yearly). Got to shop around!

Im surprised how many people complain about sports coverage. Why not just give it up and say no?
Im hostage to no one, never understood how people put up with professional sports and related costs to those who think it's expensive. If you dont mind the expense that is a different story, we all buy luxury.
We have been doing the following since around 2009 ish.

Roku players on all TVs, antenna for all TVs for local stations, (just moved into new home so no local yet but we get streaming national networks)
Fiber internet $57
Hulu $4.99 (special price we will cancel on renewal)
Netflix roughly $8 (TMobile pays the first $8)
Apple TV (TMobile Pays it)
Showtime Plus (Paid for with Walmart+ $98 a year subscription, includes all perks such as shipping ya da ya da)

Thats it, we have way more TV than humanly possible to watch. Weekends and such we may rent a movie from Redbox or stream a new rental for up to $6 or so, sometimes its so overwhelming at the choice of movies and shows we get paralyzed on what to watch.

Our T Mobile Magenta 55+ unlimited cell phone plan cost $70 a month for two lines ACTUAL payment/
We do have a landline for the heck of it, we use it to give out our phone number when you have to give it out but do not want to give out your cell phone so you dont get spammed. The cost of that is less than $7 a month, ACTUAL payment. using Ooma and we have for the last decade or more.

Stuff is cheap but I dont think many people who want to pay less and dont, really have the desire too. I mean a dispute between pay TV providers comes into play and it makes national news *LOL* for TV. Call me nuts, go ahead. I just dont get it, it's almost like a cult to me but to repeat I am not at all knocking those who wish to pay to watch sports. Im jsut surprised how people freak out when they cant.
It's like a smoker who runs out of cigarettes or something . 🙃

Last edited:
Back