Short term internet options

Hi,

My grandfather lives in Los Angeles in a subsidized apartment (government program for seniors). There will be some repairs conducted in the building so he and other residents are being relocated to another part of the building, into empty apartments. Repairs will supposedly take 3 weeks, but, as is often the case, it could be longer.

The temporary apartment doesn’t have internet service set up and my grandfather does not want to be problematic and demand internet be set up for him, but he needs internet to use Roku for TV viewing and video calling to relatives. I don’t think mobile internet hot spot will suffice.

What would be the optimal cost-wise and decent enough speed-wise short term solution? Could someone suggest anything?

Thanks

Assuming all of the apartments are already wired for some kind of internet it really shouldn't be a big deal to swap his service from one to the other temporarily. Give his ISP a call and see.

If that doesn't work out T-Mobile and Verizon offer 5G home internet that can be surprisingly good/cheap and have no contracts, just make sure he doesn't sign some sort of promotional deal contract

Does your grandfather have a smartphone with hotspot tethering? Perhaps that.

Otherwise, do you have Verizon service? You can get a Verizon Home Internet 5G box for $25 a month service charge if you're in the coverage area.

What does that mean ? Can't imagine many buildings today that aren't wired with coaxial cable. Look up the local cable company, input his address, and see what they say about availability.
Agree, he already has service, call his provider and see what can be done.
I would say that would be first choice, as far as TMobile and Verizon for a short term possible solution, well that would be a distant 3rd choice to start messing around with that and the possible issues for a short term switch. Plus activation fees and the $25 Verizon deal comes with "conditions" few people qualify. (typical Verizon advertising)

Boost mobile has a $10 mobile hotspot sale. $50 for 35 gigs of LTE data. Just have to pick the SD or lower 720p HD settings in the TV/dvdplayer/roku/amazonprime instead of mega 64k/32k/16k/8k/ultra/megaultra/extramegaultra 🤣 or whatever they push now for the HD OLED 'in cool kids crowd'. 3 weeks? hopefully you can get by with $10 for the hotspot and $100-200 for the internet in that timeframe. I would adapt the streaming for savings if needed.

Back