why michelin changed their tire lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems the ltx, and x have gone away.
they now have defender and premier- whats that all about.
costco said a premier for my 04 highlander
I got great mileage off the ltx for - several sets of tires over 15 years.

Last edited:
They just consolidated the product lines.

So, the next version of the LTX M/S2, which is likely the tire you are looking for, is now the Defender LTX MS:
https://www.michelin.ca/en/defender-ltx-m-s.html
[Linked Image from michelin.ca]

They must have moved to minimize the M&S void ratios … last LTX that I had was more aggressive …

Originally Posted by 4WD
They must have moved to minimize the M&S void ratios … last LTX that I had was more aggressive …

The LTX M/S2 is still on their site, and looks the same as the set we had on our Expedition a few years ago:
[Linked Image from michelin.ca]

The changes made when going from the M/S2 to the Defender LTX MS were pretty subtle, as you can see.

There is no, and never was, a tire "LTX". The LTX name is/was used along with other names for several very different light truck tires.

Talking about your experiences with "LTX" is no more helpful than just saying the brand name. It still leaves everyone guessing which tire you are writing about.

Michelin rejiggered the naming and it's a little confusing. The LTX series was Michelin's "truck" family, which now includes SUVs and CUVs as well. The exceptions to that rule were the Latitude/Diamaris/Agilis/Cross Terrain SUV series.

For "mainline" tires, Michelin has:
Defender - passenger/truck all-season. Defender T+H and Defender LTX. The Defender LTX is the replacement for the LTX M/S.
Premier - "premium" passenger "touring" and SUV: Premier A/S(replaces the Energy MXV4 and Primacy MXV4 series) and Premier LTX(which replaces the Latitude Tour HP)

The Michelin X series is for Costco and other warehouse clubs as an "exclusive" and to prevent a direct price comparison with other retailers. Michelin has made special tires for Sears and Discount Tire/America's Tire. The X Radial was based on whichever was their mainstream tire. The Defender XT/X Tour A/S are warehouse club versions of the Defender, X Radial LT/X LT A/S are based on the LTX M/S and Defender LTX.

I have LTX MS/2s on my Ranger, and I have Defender LTXs on my Sienna and the Escalade. They're the same tire, exact same tread pattern. Same excellent ride quality and handling too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back