Full Synthetic filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the Fram Ultra, Purolator BOSS, Wix XP, which is the best choice overall? I've heard tons here about the ultra and XP but not much on the BOSS. RP and AMSOIL is off the table, but I'm not sure if I'm missing any other filters.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Between the Fram Ultra, Purolator BOSS, Wix XP, which is the best choice overall? I've heard tons here about the ultra and XP but not much on the BOSS. RP and AMSOIL is off the table, but I'm not sure if I'm missing any other filters.

The Boss is one of the most expensive with the lowest efficiency.

I get that the Wix XP is synthetic but it has poor efficiency ratings. I really don't understand why people would use that filter and I'm a big Wix user/fan.

Fram Ultra probably your best bet. As you said, lots of info on it here and it is generally liked very well by most. Easy to find and not terribly expensive, that's what I would go with.

I think for the price and availability, the Fram Ultra is hard to beat which is why it is so well liked here on the boards. I think the Wix XP is second.

Originally Posted by badtlc
I get that the Wix XP is synthetic but it has poor efficiency ratings. I really don't understand why people would use that filter and I'm a big Wix user/fan.

The OE Honda filter has similar ratings, so it didn't phase me for a better filter with better media, when I got them on sale cheap at Napa.

Otherwise, FU has been my go to.

For your Fit, get the Fram Ultra. Fram is the OE supplier, and the A02 is essentially a PH7317.
Wix's filter for this application, the 57356, uses a smaller media cartridge due to the bypass design they use.

Does your Corolla use a spin-on can, or is it a cartridge? Which engine does it have?

I had a 2012 Fit.. Fram Ultra 7317 was used 2X at 7500mi OCIs.

After seeing so many of them cut open on here... never thought twice about using it 2X

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

After seeing so many of them cut open on here... never thought twice about using it 2X

My wife has a 2013 fit so I was curious about that. Do you run the ultra for 15k? Isn't the stock filter suppose to be able to do that too?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
For your Fit, get the Fram Ultra. Fram is the OE supplier, and the A02 is essentially a PH7317.
Wix's filter for this application, the 57356, uses a smaller media cartridge due to the bypass design they use.

Does your Corolla use a spin-on can, or is it a cartridge? Which engine does it have?

My corolla has the cartridge filter with the 1.8. The oci is every 5k, think the ultra cartridge could be safely ran for four oci?

You know what? You're right, it wasn't you. With others posting similar goofy unsubstantiated posts I mistook you for one of them. Sorry about that.

And I don't use Supertech but I'm starting to think maybe I should.

What is your requirement for a synthetic media oil filter? Are you extending the OCI past 10K to 12K miles?

Woo another post about who is better
OP everyone's gonna gush over the Ultra.

The thing to know about cartridge oil filters is that there is alot, and I mean alot of times where aftermarket filters become "mush, smashed, etc" when used. Sometimes not, but theres been so many that if I had a cartridge oil filter system, I'd just use OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
The thing to know about cartridge oil filters is that there is alot, and I mean alot of times where aftermarket filters become "mush, smashed, etc" when used. Sometimes not, but theres been so many that if I had a cartridge oil filter system, I'd just use OEM.

I agree for a lot of cartridge filters, and many times OEM can be found for reasonable price. I know for my Hyundai, the OEM is made by Mahle, and I got a 4 pack off e-bay for While not synthetic, the OEM will easily last the 5000 mile interval I do, and for 1/2 the price of a Fram Ultra for my vehicle, I am more than happy with OEM. I would probably be fine doing an every other oil change filter change (but can't make myself do that).

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
... The thing to know about cartridge oil filters is that there is alot, and I mean alot of times where aftermarket filters become "mush, smashed, etc" when used. Sometimes not, but theres been so many that if I had a cartridge oil filter system, I'd just use OEM.
That seems to be application-dependent. I've used OEM Toyota (=Denso), Purolator, and Fram cartridges. None of them collapsed, "smashed," twisted, or even got wavy pleats, so far.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

My corolla has the cartridge filter with the 1.8. The oci is every 5k, think the ultra cartridge could be safely ran for four oci?

The Ultra cartridge (as well as the XP) can probably handle the 4xOCI you describe
smile.gif
If you do this, please show us the used filter at the end of that 20k
35.gif

Like some people mentioned, some aftermarket cartridge filters have problems such as buckling in service. The best cartridge filters are from Mann and Mahle
Mahle OX416D1
Mann HU 6006z
They are not synthetic, but they are quality filters that can handle 5-10k with no problem
smile.gif

I used mahle on a 2000 s60 for 275k and the cars still running around town. Not that I had a love affair with mahle but they were cheap at AA and did their job.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

My wife has a 2013 fit so I was curious about that. Do you run the ultra for 15k? Isn't the stock filter suppose to be able to do that too?

Im sure the 'stock' filter would be just fine at that too.. its a Fram Tough Guard painted blue as far as i understand. Here is a comparison https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3097085#Post3097085

With that being said the Tough Guard box says its good up to 10K and the Ultra box says its good up to 20K

So i play their game and give them $2 extra to get 10K more miles.

IMHO the TG is priced wrong.. who wouldnt want to spend $2 for 10k more miles?

I have been a WIX fan/user for a long time. I've use the XP model A few times with no issues. From what I read, it's very well-built but efficiency isn't as good as some others.

So? What does this possibly mean? Does it mean the filter flows better but traps less debris? And if so, when I open a can of worms about micron levels and all of that...

I really don't know anymore. I like how the wix filters are built. I've also looked at the Purolator "Boss" but it's not as easy to locate and hardly gets mentioned here for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back