Nissan Maxima Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at car prices I've noticed that 2012-2015 maximas are very cheap. The cars look still semi-new.
Is anything wrong with these model years that I dont know about? Only thing I can maybe think is the cvt transmission.
Any info?

Consumer Reports claims the most trouble free year in your range is 2012, with 2013 and 2014 having only average reliability. There was no 2015 model, and the 2016 model was a redesign. The Maxima V-6 is awesome, similar to that in my M35. Check to see if the Maxima has a full splash shield that usually must be removed to do an OC. My M35 has 18 10 mm bolts.

Also remember that lots of Maxima S models were in the rental car world. If you can get documented service records on the Maxima of your choice and the price is right, go for it.

I've had my 2013 SV since 2014, it was exactly 1 year old, saved a huge amount from the initial depreciation. It's been really good, no issues. I am very fussy about preventative maintenance, this might pay dividends later. I did the partial CVT flush with Pennzoil CVT2 at 71k kilometres and will do it again in the spring. Right now it has 104k km. I get an easy 8L / 100km on the highway, if I take it easy 7.3L /100km is also doable, but not as much fun.

Very comfortable car for tall people, excellent acceleration, nice looking, good size trunk. Negatives: the leather on steering wheel feels & looks like plastic, hard to find the engine dipstick hole, heated steering wheel switch is buried on the lower dash, requires 91 octane for best performance & fuel efficiency.

The VQ35 and CVT combo is an absolute powerhouse in the Maxima, Altima too - stupid fast for a family sedan. CVT reliability is questionable but seems its more problematic on the 4 cylinder cars vs 6 cylinder, but that may because the Altima, Sentra and Rogue 4 bangers are the volume leaders, who knows.

Had a few rentals of the generation following the one you speak of, by far one of my favorite rental cars. The handful of rentals I had were after Nissan added simulated shifts under WOT, while the VQ35 sounds great I don't know how I would feel about it just sitting at redline under WOT.

I used to have the Infiniti sister of the Maxima, so I'll always have a soft spot for these cars. Mine had the first gen VQ35 and it was a great engine. Never felt down on power, even with the car fully loaded and A/C blasting. I can only imagine the future iterations of the VQ35 being even better.

I don't have experience with the CVT directly. My parents got a rental 2014 Maxima once and I asked them what they thought of the CVT. They had no clue what I was talking about and said the car just drove normally. My parents are regular folks and not gear heads. Therefore, other regular folks will probably notice no difference with the CVT.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
CVT reliability is questionable but seems its more problematic on the 4 cylinder cars vs 6 cylinder, but that may because the Altima, Sentra and Rogue 4 bangers are the volume leaders, who knows.

Only because there are more 4 cyl than 6. The CVT took this long to come out because it could not handle engines above 1500cc (torque) The belts would not stand up. It took a while & legislation to make manufacturers do R & D and finally come up with belts that would not destroy themselves after a few miles.
I remember well when DAF (no longer in existance) came out with it in the 60s, it was like diving a sawing machine.
frown.gif

^ Could be, but the Murano with the VQ35 V6 and CVT has been out since 2002. We're talking 18yrs now.

The 12-14 Maxima were of pretty decent build quality compared to the 7-10 stuff, they are a nice option if you want more modern amenities and tech in a comfortable highway cruiser with excellent acceleration around town, interstate passing and dashing down highway on ramps. The VQ35 is more refined in that application too which for a daily is typically nice. Just keep in mind they were not a four door sports car, and if you intend to drive it like you stole it around bendy mountain roads you want to spend a few grand more for a clean lower miles 12+ G37 or M37 in RWD or AWD if you need it.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I used to have the Infiniti sister of the Maxima, so I'll always have a soft spot for these cars. Mine had the first gen VQ35 and it was a great engine. Never felt down on power, even with the car fully loaded and A/C blasting. I can only imagine the future iterations of the VQ35 being even better.

I don't have experience with the CVT directly. My parents got a rental 2014 Maxima once and I asked them what they thought of the CVT. They had no clue what I was talking about and said the car just drove normally. My parents are regular folks and not gear heads. Therefore, other regular folks will probably notice no difference with the CVT.

The I35? Those were nice cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back