CVT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK
It very well may be the transmission. It looks like it's had two owners before you. A rental and then a private owner I assume? Makes you wonder if the previous owner traded it in because of this.

Regardless, a lot of issues will put the car in limp mode. Without a code scan and some good diagnostic work, don't jump to conclusions.

People are so gun shy with Nissan CVT issues, when their key fob battery goes out, they think it's the transmission... Oh wait! I'm just kidding. Keep us posted. If it is the trans, it will be pretty sweet to get a new one.

Well, the key fob thing.... I knew it was the battery that was the problem. The dealer just took it back to have everything checked out. This time, it could be the CVT fluid, the CVT itself, maybe something else computer related. Who knows? I just know I will get a workable car eventually.

And yes, 2 owners previous. Rental, then, a regular owner. Probably got beaten & abused like a poor puppy.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I beat that Nissan like a rented mule under warranty. No trans problems with that early pan dump.

Now my lease VW is showing signs of early demise at only 6K miles.

Ill keep you posted.

crazy2.gif

What?

Garbage and weak transaxle designs fail under my foot.

But I'm convinced the vw dealer put "fake synthetic oil" in the car an its taking its toll on the turbo and cats.

Gas mileage is down 4 MPG average and I'm getting rotten egg smell in the car when accelerating.

Engine ran spectacular with the factory oil and filter.

Last edited:
Imo the cvt is like drawing straws. My wife's 07 Morano had no cvt issues at almost 200k and was never serviced for the first 10yrs. My 09 altima was serviced at 30k by the dealer and then I did a drain and refill at 60 k using Nissan fluid. The 09 never went into limp mode but developed a nasty whine one hot day on my way back from stlouis at 94k. Nissan had the extended warranty and replaced it the next day and were great about it. The car now sets at 118 and I'm contemplating whether to drain and refill or just let it go till the recommended 60k.

I beat that Nissan like a rented mule under warranty. No trans problems with that early pan dump.

Ill keep you posted.

crazy2.gif

What?

But I'm convinced the vw dealer put "fake synthetic oil" in the car an its taking its toll on the turbo and cats.

Gas mileage is down 4 MPG average and I'm getting rotten egg smell in the car when accelerating.

Who knows what the "$tealership" did to it. VW dealers in the USA suck with few exceptions and more often than not the shops will end up breaking things in order to repair something else. I kid you not, they are horrid. I once had a VW dealer tell me just that and laughed about it.

Originally Posted by Puckrobber
And yes, 2 owners previous. Rental, then, a regular owner. Probably got beaten & abused like a poor puppy.

Just what does it take to abuse a car these days? I mean, on a conventional auto, the trans and engine can talk to each other, and let off power for the shift. On a CVT I'm not even sure that is required anymore... I guess treating the throttle like an on/off switch would put on wear fast? Up and down the gear ratios?

I just find it hard that in this day and age of DBW and whatnot that it's really hard to abuse anything anymore. Drivers are making suggestions for the drivetrain these days, not demands.

Ill keep you posted.

crazy2.gif

What?

I was amazed that your new VW was already showing signs of pending problems.

Why ?

It is new with the typical list of issues to sort thru with "slapped together" new cars with suppliers pressured to lower cost and make JIT deliveries..

True it's not a Ford, but it is a VW
smile.gif

The VW heritage lives on in Subaru IMO. Though Toyota is beating that out of them in their "partnership".

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Has anyone tried adding an extra external cooler on one of these Nissan's?

I've read that several Nissan owners have put different (heavy-duty) coolers on their CVTs and had good results with them. Nissan hasn't gotten the memo about them yet.
confused2.gif

My wife's 18 rogue is nothing like the cvts of old. Hers acts like a 4 speed even though it's obviously not. I had the pleasure of driving a 2019 altima 3.5 recently as a rental and holy crap was that thing a blast. I mean downright [censored] and get blast. Scared the bejesus out of the wife though.

Update:

Got a call from the dealer this morning. They're waiting on approval to replace the transmission. Should know more on Monday.

Meanwhile, I continue to drive a 2018 Jeep Compass loaner until it gets fixed.
smile.gif

Update:

Got a call from the dealer this morning. They're waiting on approval to replace the transmission. Should know more on Monday.

smile.gif

That's great. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Update:

smile.gif

That's great. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Will do!

Originally Posted by supton
Puckrobber said:
Just what does it take to abuse a car these days? I mean, on a conventional auto, the trans and engine can talk to each other, and let off power for the shift. On a CVT I'm not even sure that is required anymore...

The CVT is always connected to the wheels while you're moving, so there's no need to cut power for 'shifts'. It's constantly 'shifting' as the engine and road speeds change; our Subaru CVT has manual mode, but it will still adjust the ratios when it thinks it needs to.

If there's a programming issue it will be in deciding what RPM the engine should be running at for the current conditions and adjusting the CVT ratios to match.

The VW heritage lives on in Subaru IMO. Though Toyota is beating that out of them in their "partnership".
Heritage? Subaru SVX or Subaru BRAT?
lol.gif
No one cared about Subaru outside of the WRX until Honda and Toyota prices went up and Nissan quality went down.

It's flavour of the month/year/decade: VW 2000s = Subaru 2010s. VWs will always be known as unreliable, Subarus will always be known for being a poor man's Honda.

Got the approval for a replacement tranny. Had 2 options: a used one that will keep the extended warranty active for no extra $$$, or a brand new one with a regular warranty for $1700. I chose the used one because the CVTs seem to go bad at any mileage, so, it won't really matter.

Got the approval for a replacement tranny. Had 2 options: a used one that will keep the extended warranty active for no extra $$$, or a brand new one with a regular warranty for $1700. I chose the used one because the CVTs seem to go bad at any mileage, so, it won't really matter.

If the new one is an OEM Nissan reman, it is a much better option than a used transmission. At least the new one will have new parts.

anyone buying any CVT vehicle only has themselves to blame when it fails!! like DI only sooner or later its gonna cost $$$!

Wait.. They wanted YOU to pay an additional $1700? Idda told them to pound salt on that one. Or at least continued my standard campaigning to get that cost down to little/nothing for a new one. They just sold you the [censored] car!

How much time/mileage do you get on the warranty for the used CVT?

Last edited:

When they get sick of putting in used transmissions that don't work, perhaps they will give you a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back