CVT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Anduril
There's a reason we got the 5-speed on the wife's Versa...

Hate to go off topic, but yeah.. Same reason I bought the 2015 Versa this year with the 4spd AT. As much as I like CVTs and haven't had issues with Subaru's or Nissan with the VQ35 and CVT, I'd be leery of a Versa with one.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Puckrobber
Got the approval for a replacement tranny. Had 2 options: a used one that will keep the extended warranty active for no extra $$$, or a brand new one with a regular warranty for $1700. I chose the used one because the CVTs seem to go bad at any mileage, so, it won't really matter.

Wait.. They wanted YOU to pay an additional $1700? Idda told them to pound salt on that one. Or at least continued my standard campaigning to get that cost down to little/nothing for a new one. They just sold you the [censored] car!

How much time/mileage do you get on the warranty for the used CVT?

Yeah, I thought it strange that I'd have to pay additional $$$ for a new one. Regardless, I'll still have a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the used one. Like zzyzzx said, if it continues to fail during the warranty, maybe they'll tire of it and put in a new one. Of course, I've read of some failing after less than 1000 miles on them. So, it probably makes no difference.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Best of luck to you .

Personally , if you still have problems , I would get rid of the vehicle .

Thanks, Wyr. Still waiting on it to come back.
whistle.gif
I figure I can deal with it until the warranty runs out. Probably all 36,000 miles, because I don't drive that many miles anymore. Then, I can look into something else.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The VW heritage lives on in Subaru IMO. Though Toyota is beating that out of them in their "partnership".

Yes indeed, the pop culture of young hip people used to drive VW, but they are all over Subaru these days.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I was amazed that your new VW was already showing signs of pending problems.

Certain people seem to always have problems, no matter the car.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I was amazed that your new VW was already showing signs of pending problems.

Certain people seem to always have problems, no matter the car.

I've noticed this as well.

I've owned a number of VWs and never had any problems with them, in fact they were MORE reliable and durable than my Honda and Toyotas of similar vintage!

To the original poster. I wonder if it would be worth your while to have an auxillary transmission fluid cooler added?
I have not had an Altima, but I have added auxiliary coolers to a Windstar and a Sienna and felt that they were well worth adding.....Car transmission in a minivans that were loaded down from time to time.
I have a Camry and drive it easy (no loads to speak of) and don't think I need it on this car.
As others have stated that temperature may be an issue with your transmission / application, it might be a good add in your case.

Originally Posted by wiswind
To the original poster. I wonder if it would be worth your while to have an auxillary transmission fluid cooler added?
I have not had an Altima, but I have added auxiliary coolers to a Windstar and a Sienna and felt that they were well worth adding.....Car transmission in a minivans that were loaded down from time to time.
I have a Camry and drive it easy (no loads to speak of) and don't think I need it on this car.
As others have stated that temperature may be an issue with your transmission / application, it might be a good add in your case.

Thanks for the info, Wis. I have heard of the auxiliary coolers. Many Altima owners have put one on their car and had good results. I'll definitely look into it after it gets fixed. From what I've heard, oil cooling is the CVT's biggest problem. Supposed to get it back tomorrow, possibly. We'll see.

Well, that didn't last long. Got a call from the dealer last night. They installed the used CVT, then took it to Nissan for reprogramming. It went for a test drive, and apparently, the tranny went out again. So now, they will talk to Nissan about what to do next. Can't make this stuff up....
confused2.gif

Well, that didn't last long. Got a call from the dealer last night. They installed the used CVT, then took it to Nissan for reprogramming. It went for a test drive, and apparently, the tranny went out again. So now, they will talk to Nissan about what to do next. Can't make this stuff up....
confused2.gif

As expected, installing a used trans on one of these is pointless. My guess is that the warranty company will be paying for a reman.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Anyone have a free carfax ? Id love to look up the service history on this thing after I sold it

Download and install the "myCARFAX" app from your phone's respective App Store. Create a (free) member account and log in to the app. Add the target vehicle to your Garage using its VIN. Then click on the Service History tab for that vehicle in the app.

That will show you any service/registration/title events for the vehicle that have been reported to CarFax.

confused2.gif

[censored] son. You're snake bit with this thing as my elders used to say. Now I get to say it since I'm an old fa&t.

Sorry to read of your troubles but you have delivered an interesting thread

Got the approval for a replacement tranny. Had 2 options: a used one that will keep the extended warranty active for no extra $$$, or a brand new one with a regular warranty for $1700. I chose the used one because the CVTs seem to go bad at any mileage, so, it won't really matter.

Man, this is depressing.

I'm glad I have a sense of humor about this. Of course, having a couple different warranties on it helps. Guess I'll wait until next week to see the newest episode of this sitcom.
lol.gif

New episode alert: Heard from dealer last night. They've had problems finding a used tranny for installation, but, they have one. Waiting for the OK from the warranty heads, then will install next Tuesday. (Tranny guy is out on Monday.
21.gif
)

Stay tuned, folks!

New episode alert: Heard from dealer last night. They've had problems finding a used tranny for installation, but, they have one. Waiting for the OK from the warranty heads, then will install next Tuesday. (Tranny guy is out on Monday.
21.gif
)

Stay tuned, folks!

So, they didn't think that a second used transmission would be as bad as the first used transmission?…

I think I shall never own a CVT vehicle.

See, manual transmissions ARE better!

Originally Posted by JLTD
21.gif
)

Stay tuned, folks!

So, they didn't think that a second used transmission would be as bad as the first used transmission?…

I think I shall never own a CVT vehicle.

See, manual transmissions ARE better!

I guess they didn't. My warranty goes 3 years/36,000 miles, so, if it fails again.......
39.gif

And yes, this would turn anyone off of getting a Nissan-built CVT vehicle. Other CVT's haven't had as many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back