How much is this about to cost me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The linoleum falcon is about to go into the shop to get the idler pulley replaced before it seizes up completely, it's been getting louder and louder by the day.

Since this is a Honda, you already know the whole front end of the car is gonna have to be taken apart in order to get to the thing.

I already know the part itself is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $80-100, how much am I about to have to cough up for labor would y'all think?

A half hour? Just doing my starter took me 3 days... then again that's why I pay to make it someone else's problem anymore lol

Some stuff you can get to, other stuff, not so much ... and sometimes having a hoist means you can easily get to stuff a DIY guy can't.

I hate when people tell me how easy something is to work on with my car or "I could have done that in X minutes myself!"

It's like the 4.0 GPA kid saying math is easy.

All you're doing is making me feel dumber and more incapable than I already am.

While changing washer hose on our 2014 Fusion … made me realize how hard the headlight lamps are to get at. Watching a couple videos made me feel worse. I best find some long lasting bulbs … what a dumb design

An Idler Pulley should be a pretty easy and quick job, especially for someone who does it for a living.

When I did the idler pulley on my 2010 Fusion about 4 years ago, I had never worked on the car before, but it still only took me 90 minutes from start to finish. A shop should be able to get it in and out in no time.

Originally Posted by 4WD
While changing washer hose on our 2014 Fusion … made me realize how hard the headlight lamps are to get at. Watching a couple videos made me feel worse. I best find some long lasting bulbs … what a dumb design

Just about all cars have to have the front facia removed no matter the make. It's easy with a lift,....But I imagine it sucks having to jack one up, Put it on stands, Then lay on your back having dirt fall in your eyes removing all the lower push-rivets.

'13 Cadillac CTS.....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Attempted to do one on my fathers Caliber because "how hard can that be?!" We took one look and drove it to the mechanic... the serpentine belt and related equipment is crammed real close to the passenger side of the engine compartment. IIRC it was like $200-$250 to do both idlers, new tensioner, and put a new belt on.

Was this the CRV that there was a thread on a couple weeks back about whether to sell it or not?

I honestly think those CRV's are very reliable and not that hard to work on. Just last week I adjusted the valves on one we own...not bad at all...probably took me an hour, tops.

In five years of owning this thing we have spent ZERO in out of pocket repairs, outside of general maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
$100 - $200 repaired. Good move sending it to the shop given your lack of repair knowledge/experience based on entire front end of car comes apart.

Good move responding like an arrogant A-hole.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Railrust
Was this the CRV that there was a thread on a couple weeks back about whether to sell it or not?

I honestly think those CRV's are very reliable and not that hard to work on. Just last week I adjusted the valves on one we own...not bad at all...probably took me an hour, tops.

In five years of owning this thing we have spent ZERO in out of pocket repairs, outside of general maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. Knock on wood.

I've worked on a Honda and found it wasn't that bad either. I'm more familiar with domestics, though as that's all I have. If you get the manual and watch some videos I'm sure you can get it if you want/need to save some money. Rockauto and Amazon are good places to get parts as well as the local parts store. Oh and I forgot eBay but you have to be careful there.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I hate when people tell me how easy something is to work on with my car or "I could have done that in X minutes myself!" It's like the 4.0 GPA kid saying math is easy.

I'm somewhat a "jack of many trades, master of none" and after 4 decades I finally got over that "dumb" feeling. Mechanics have the correct tools and wrench 40+ hours a week. Of course they are going to do their specialty a lot faster. A lot of them are also clueless and slow as nails tackling house wiring, plumbing, or lawn fertilizing. Numerous times I have had pros comment on my work, saying that it looks too good to be the work of a professional (wham/bam)...I'm proud of that. And, pro mechanics make occasional big mistakes just like us diyers also. It's life.

Congratulate yourself for having a good knowledge of automotive maintenance, saving some bucks diying, and knowing enough not to get hosed when you do decide to hand the work off to someone else.

Yeah this is the same CR-V I have toyed with selling but I have to keep it until I graduate at the very least because if I did buy something else now I would have almost zero savings left for insurance and gas (am 18 year old minimum wage HS senior)

Since owning the car I have replaced the VTEC solenoid after it got clogged with sludge and sent the car into limp mode, replaced the oil pressure sensor after that because it quit giving a reading and sent the car into limp mode again, then the power steering pressure line after it began to leak, then the return line because THAT began to leak the next week, then the power steering rack because IT began to leak and I had to refill the reservoir every morning....then the starter went out, then the alternator not even a month later, then the MAF sensor. Not to mention the car is on it's 3rd A/C compressor now. Just recently got done with round #4 of the Takata recall.

Still need to replace some worn out rear suspension components because it's chewing the insides of my tires, replace a rattling exhaust heat shield, get the valves adjusted, flush and refill the Dual Pump II fluid that's overdue, and chase down some fuel system issues because at least once a week I get a CEL for running too lean on bank 1, also still need to do ignition coils I never had the time to change those when I did my plugs last summer. Also need to replace a lock actuator, my right rear door is permanently locked shut you can only open it in the split second after you press the unlock button.

I hate when people tell me how easy something is to work on with my car or "I could have done that in X minutes myself!"

It's like the 4.0 GPA kid saying math is easy.

I'm no 4.0, but math is easy...

I'm sure you have aspects of your life, things you accomplish every day that baffle others. We all have our gifts, quit letting the gifts of others drag you down.

A half hour? Just doing my starter took me 3 days... then again that's why I pay to make it someone else's problem anymore lol

Best to pay and forget the problem.

I try to DIY and save money when I can. But then that money is kept in savings. Then when I hit a wall and can't do something... I have money to pay someone else to do the job.

Work hard, get ahead. Then you can pick and chose your battles. Sometimes it isn't worth the headache of DIY, not when it's "pocket change". But to get to that stage... requires diligence in your budget. Not quite what you asked for, but pointing out something that you might cherish when you move from youth to old.

My Camry isn't too far behind and I'm trying to convince myself to dump some money into it, and get another year out of it. But realizing that I might just have to keep dumping money into it afterwards. Just how life goes.

DIY has allowed me to live a little better by keeping money in my pocket. That said, there are some jobs that it makes sense to take to a shop. Some things require specialty tools and or certain knowledge and have a steep learning curve. For the most part I do my own maintenance and most repairs, but I will let a shop tackle the more difficult things to get to and gladly pay them for their skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back