M1 0w40 FS in my Q50 colder/winter months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Unless the higher HTHS viscosity is required, I try to avoid xw-40's in the winter. A 5w-30 would be thinner in all but the most extreme temperatures than a 0w-40 would.

That said, if I had a sump full of M1 0w-40 that had plenty of life left in it, I wouldn't get rid of it.

That also depends which 5W30.
FS s almost W30 oils as KV100 is 12.9.

I sent a virgin sample of FS 0W-40 to Blackstone for viscosity measurement a couple of months ago. It came back at 11.74, so not almost a 30, it was a 30.

That pretty much sealed my long standing thought that M1 0W-40 sheared to a 30 just pouring it from the bottle.
lol.gif

Ed

Let's assume that the KV of this oil falls somewhere between 12.90 and 11.74.
This still tells us nothing about its HTHSv, which as a forty grade should be at least 3.5, no?
We all know that there are thirties that meet this HTHS number and HTHS is arguably more important for bearing "protection" as well as fuel economy impact than KV.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Unless the higher HTHS viscosity is required, I try to avoid xw-40's in the winter. A 5w-30 would be thinner in all but the most extreme temperatures than a 0w-40 would.

That said, if I had a sump full of M1 0w-40 that had plenty of life left in it, I wouldn't get rid of it.

That also depends which 5W30.
FS s almost W30 oils as KV100 is 12.9.

I sent a virgin sample of FS 0W-40 to Blackstone for viscosity measurement a couple of months ago. It came back at 11.74, so not almost a 30, it was a 30.

That pretty much sealed my long standing thought that M1 0W-40 sheared to a 30 just pouring it from the bottle.
lol.gif

Ed

Let's assume that the KV of this oil falls somewhere between 12.90 and 11.74.
This still tells us nothing about its HTHSv, which as a forty grade should be at least 3.5, no?
We all know that there are thirties that meet this HTHS number and HTHS is arguably more important for bearing "protection" as well as fuel economy impact than KV.

Per Mobil1 it is 3.6. It must be at least 3.5 due to approvals it has.

11.74? Geeez, that is big discrepancy from what they state.
Though Blackstone last year or years after that warned that due to their methodology VOA is not quite accurate.
Did you do UOA?

Blackstone's comments on methodology and VOA apply only to the TBN methodology they use.

No, there was no UOA. This oil was one of 7 used to prepare mixes of various oils to see how accurately three different equations predicted the viscosity of the mixes.

Here is the thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5141416/1

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back