Subaru Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zolton
My cuz, along with a zillion other people, got new engines from Subaru due to oil consumption. Some blame the thin oil.

In WRX, owners recommend 40 weight, 5w-40 Rotella, for the lowest wear.

Common sense in my book with be a light 40 weight that could go a whole year for your dad.

Really, any 0w-40 is perfect, pick one. Do a UOA comparing 0w-40 to a 5w-30 if you really want to tweek it, but 0w-40 is the best bet.

VVTi. in a FB. cant just put any grade in. VTEC yes, VVT no.

Does it have the oversquare EJ motor short stroker with VTEC

or the square FB25?

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Did you miss the fact Subaru specs dino drum oil at 6000 miles?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek, I like Magnatec 5w30 in the summer, and 0w20 in the winter--either Magnatec, Edge EP, or Mobil 1 EP. Very minimal oil consumption on a full interval.

Originally Posted by T-Stick
For my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek, I like Magnatec 5w30 in the summer, and 0w20 in the winter--either Magnatec, Edge EP, or Mobil 1 EP. Very minimal oil consumption on a full interval.

But doesn't magnatec's 0w20 "gel" up pretty bad in winter vs the 5w30?

The only reason why i didn't put magnatec 0w20 in my moms car and used pennzoil plat instead.

But for warm months, definitely magnatec.

You might have oil consumption issues on that FB20 engine. I've had the best luck with Idemitsu on those. PP also works nicely but really on Japanese cars oil is oil for the most part.

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK

The only reason why i didn't put magnatec 0w20 in my moms car and used pennzoil plat instead.

Gel up? Lol no

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Originally Posted by Al
Oil is oil

I assume the head gaskets fail before any of the oil lubricated parts.

Headgaskets hasn't been an issue on the FA and FB engines.

In fact it's been a decade since the issue has been fixed.

Do you have some evidence or reference to back up that statement?

Originally Posted by PimTac

I read it on a couple of different car forums. I didn't save the links. I guess do a search if you're interested.

Last edited:

I read it on a couple of different car forums. I didn't save the links. I guess do a search if you're interested.

You are the second one on this thread.

Yeah, i am. And i said i used pennzoil plat in my moms car. And didn't put magnatec for the winter run because i read of the 0w20's "gelling" up. I didn't experience it first hand but just like this forum, others have stated their experience. So i didn't want to risk it and went with pennzoil.

Yeah, i am. And i said i used pennzoil plat in my moms car. And didn't put magnatec for the winter run because i read of the 0w20's "gelling" up. I didn't experience it first hand but just like this forum, others have stated their experience. So i didn't want to risk it and went with pennzoil.

Then you are not aware that Pennzoil turns to wax in winter temperatures? That has been discussed many times in many places. You can search for that.

Never heard of such a thing.

Then you are not aware that Pennzoil turns to wax in winter temperatures? That has been discussed many times in many places. You can search for that.

I'll search later. The PP is already in the car so i'm crossing fingers.

Magnatec going back in next spring!

Has anyone done over 100k on 20 weight w/o consumption?

Just wondering why somebody would wait until the engine started burning oil to switch to a better oil.

Our 2017 Legacy 2.5i uses supertech synthetic 5w30 and premium guard filters.

About $19 total per oil change, change every 7000 miles and doesn't burn a drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back