Getting that new car itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by fdcg27
... so your only cost will be in the lease payments, along with the insurance and gas any car would need.

Not necessarily.
Many do not take into consideration the time and inconvenience of potential warranty repairs/upgrades.

Well there's also wear and tear that they can get you for at the end of the lease like tires, after 3 years it may need a new set. Still, if you check leasehackr.com, sometimes there are good lease deals, depends what the manufacturer is doing.

Originally Posted by dareo
You likely own the honda outright and selling it pays a lot of lease payments. If you still down own a 7 year old honda by now then leasing something for 600 a month is a terrible financial idea. Not that leases are even "good" financial ideas most of the time. This is a luxury want and by all means spend away if its affordable and what you want. If its not affordable you may find yourself trapped in such a deal until every payment is made. Not a big market for transferring expensive leases when those with the means can just got get a brand new lease. It would suck to have a high lease payment and no gas money or money to spend at places you would drive it to anyway. If income or expenses changed during that lease you would just hate seeing the car every single day.

Usually there's a lease transfer fee. But on swapalease, you can dump a lease there. Usually you have to offer some incentive though. Sometimes I don't know what people are thinking, they just want the lease payment after having it for one year and they think someone else will pick up the other two years at the same monthly payment. The greatest depreciation is in the first year so there should definitely be some kind of incentive if they didn't put any money down on the lease.

I'd suggest waiting for a couple of years with the Timing Belt. I changed mine based on time at around 11 years/69K miles, and the TB, WP were still like new, although the Tensioner has had a minor leak. I paid ~$600 for Honda Genuine parts, and a local mechanic charged me for 4.5 hours of labor -- so it was about $900, including everything. That $2500 quote is ridiculous, even for expensive NYC.

If you decide to get rid of the Pilot...Audi. Keeping the Pilot is the financially sound decision. It's your money though.

Remember that the Saturn Vue 2004-2007 with V6 used the Honda 3.5 V6, same basic engine as the Pilot, Accord etc. I changed my timing belt at 127k miles, and it was in excellent shape. TB, WP was around $600-800 at an independent shop, and I got all the old parts and made sure they were correct. My brother has a 2006 Acura TL with the 3.5 V6 in New Jersey, and he ran across some special at a Honda dealer where they did a TB and WP parts and labor for $399 about 2-3 years ago. I was floored at the great deal on that work, and he had it done around 130k miles.

Porsche Macan or BMW X3 M40i.
If you want something 4cyl, BMW X3 3.0i is absolutely best option. That engine proved to be seriously strong and even more impressive when it comes to mpg.

Last edited:
$2,500 for a timing belt job? Granted it's more than just a belt, but yikes.

I get that one could build that into their budget, and be prepared for it when it comes around. But it makes me glad that I've resisted getting a Honda V6. And it keeps resisting any temptation.

The two X3s I had as loaner cars from the BMW dealer here had the turbo four 3.0 engines, so no M models, but they were solid and confident on the road. The second one only had about 600 miles on it. It seemed to drive a little better each day; I wonder if the famed 8-speed transmission learned how I drive?

Both sucked premium fuel, of course, though they were much more efficient than I'd expected. A/C was very good.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
The two X3s I had as loaner cars from the BMW dealer here had the turbo four 3.0 engines,

If it was a 4-cylinder, then it was a 2.0 liter. If it was a 3.0 liter, then it was a 6-cylinder.
smile.gif

X3 30i is the 2.0 four cylinder. I guess that way it matches the sedans, 330i is the 4 cylinder 2.0 as well. I could see with the number designations how one could think the engine is a 3.0 liter.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The two X3s I had as loaner cars from the BMW dealer here had the turbo four 3.0 engines,

If it was a 4-cylinder, then it was a 2.0 liter. If it was a 3.0 liter, then it was a 6-cylinder.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by drtyler
X3 30i is the 2.0 four cylinder. I guess that way it matches the sedans, 330i is the 4 cylinder 2.0 as well. I could see with the number designations how one could think the engine is a 3.0 liter.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

I think, but am not sure, the tailgates sported the "30i" designation. The vehicles did not seem significantly more powerful than my turbo four 328i -- but then they weighed quite a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back