How do you scratch the new car itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at my bank account and realize, I can't afford a new car.

I enjoy browsing and then buying parts to fix an older car rather than worrying about washing and waxing a new car. Anybody can buy a new model, just a select few can keep a seasoned one running.

The older a running car is the more cachet it has.

Originally Posted by Pew
I look at my bank account and realize, I can't afford a new car.

Even more impressive is looking at your bank account, seeing a ton of money there, and still restraining yourself from buying a new car.
smile.gif

I find that taking my current vehicle to be detailed (one that deserves it, not the Crown Vic) is refreshing. It's not as exciting as a new vehicle, but it helps.

Originally Posted by 02SE
There are no guarantees in life.

Being retired and being able to do whatever you want every day, is hard to beat, IMO. If delaying buying a new vehicle means you can retire sooner, I'd advise that.

^ This! I bought my last new vehicle in 1995 when I was 43 years old and drove it for 19 years. My current 2005 Chevy truck, bought used in 2014, runs like a top. 2 vehicles in 25 years, and If my current truck grenades tomorrow, I'll buy used again. My wife gets a "new" CPO car every 5 to 6 years. Scratching that new car itch, costs a lot of scratch! I retired at 62 and have had 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday in every week since.

I like a relatively new car in the mix, but I've also had the Club Sport for over 24 years- and the Wrangler for nearly 18 years.

I think of the stuff I could do with the money that doesn't involve cars.

I remind myself that I am in the sweet spot that I angled for. That is, having a reliable, presentable paid-for vehicle for a few years was why I bought the last car new and maintained it so carefully. What feels like a new car itch is the payoff.

Don't worry. It won't last forever.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by supton

Originally Posted by wog
Do a lease

I could but what else would I drive? I do about 30k/year.

I just saw the 2 hour commute you posted otherwise I wouldnt have even made the Murano lease tease
smile.gif

I had a 1 hour 10 min to Wilmington Ma one way.

That was my limit.

Now I just quite working last November Im putting 7K a year on the car so I can do these short mileage give-a-way leases.

I you recall I just got the Jetta and now its done in 10 months!

I'm thinking VIntage restored truck or car next.

Don t need the commuter car.

Bradley GT glass job on the classic VW pan?

Small world, I do a 1 hour commute to Wilmington everyday. Been doing it for 6 years now.

I buy a new car...
45.gif

Seriously though, it's a hard habit to get out of because of how easily these things can be to justify to oneself. I like to say every one of mine was justified, but really, some of the decisions were not financially prudent. We've owned 9x vehicles since our 2002 Expedition, which is ridiculous.

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled.....In many ways I'm beaten by middle age. .

Holey sheet man, you've got young kids, no time to back off now. According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between about 45 and 65 so you aren't even there yet.

No reason to drive 2 hours/day, 30k/year in a penalty box if you don't absolutely have to.

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled. I've tried to talk myself into a Yaris and then a Prius C for my commute (which is 55 minutes each way according to my phone); it's all highway and all of 54 miles according to Google. A Yaris (or a C) might last a long time but I'm afraid I'd be right back to where I am now after a few years, and others on this site talked me out of it each time. The last time I shopped I got my Camry and while it's been wonderful, I wonder when it's time to move on. The Camry is easy to repair and I feel like I should keep it as a spare vehicle, but I'm not sure I want to pass it down to any new drivers (call me a nanny if you want but I've grilled my kids and confirmed that they have no desire to drive, unlike my generation, and so I'm starting to wonder how many safety nannies I want in the thing carting around my 16 year plus investment of time and money).

I don't think you need to get a brand new car, something that's in the 3-5 year range would probably work. Typically the depreciation at that point is in the 30-60% range but the car will probably last at least 3-4x as long. With the kind of mileage you drive, I'd like to see you get a CPO Mercedes with the 3 years unlimited mileage warranty. Imagine getting warranty service on it when it's at 140k. There's just lots of newer technology that a 20+ year old car doesn't have. I don't even remember how many airbags my car has, maybe 8 or nine. Usually the older cars only had two. Newer cars are basically safer, stability control, traction control, ABS and a bunch of other things vs a 20 year old.

On the transmission, I wouldn't say they're toast at 150k, probably more like the 200-300k range if you change the fluid and filter often. Assuming that whatever car you get doesn't have underlying transmission problems.

With cars getting rusty in your area, I know it's been discussed before but in the long run it's probably best to find a car down south and then drive it up or have it shipped. Probably $800 to have it shipped from FL to NH. I'm sure you could find a BITOG'er to go look at a car for you, myself included, although I'm quite far away.

If someone looked at it for you and it checks out, you could buy over the phone and either have it shipped or get a cheap flight and drive it home in 2 days.

I have purchased more new cars than used, but I generally wear the bleep out of them. My last new car was the Accord in my signature. It replaced a 13 year old Taurus with 275K (bought that one new also.)
I generally buy a leftover year model new in December/January and aim for used car value as a target price. I came within $100.00 of that when I purchased the Accord. Best of both worlds: new car smell, while avoiding much of the first years depreciation.
Even if I come within 1-2K difference buying 1yr old new vs. used, I'll go new. Wear/tear on tires, brakes, etc. will eat much of that difference up, plus the difference in cost between the two given the length of ownership is minimal.
The bonus is that I know the service history of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
With cars getting rusty in your area, I know it's been discussed before but in the long run it's probably best to find a car down south and then drive it up or have it shipped. Probably $800 to have it shipped from FL to NH. I'm sure you could find a BITOG'er to go look at a car for you, myself included, although I'm quite far away.

If someone looked at it for you and it checks out, you could buy over the phone and either have it shipped or get a cheap flight and drive it home in 2 days.

That's a really nice thing to do but would you make a $10-15k buying decision based on a stranger's once over? Not me. And if something is wrong with the car or goes wrong? Less money for 1 way (or round trip if you don't like it) airfare and you know what you're buying.

I just have to look at the prices of new vehicles these days and my "itch" goes away. My last new vehicle was my 14 Mustang GT which I've had for 6.5 years. I'm also retired so buying a new vehicle is probably not the smartest thing to do living on a fixed income but at some point I will have to start spending my 401K and at that point, I may buy one more new vehicle.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled.....In many ways I'm beaten by middle age. .

Holey sheet man, you've got young kids, no time to back off now. According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between about 45 and 65 so you aren't even there yet.

No reason to drive 2 hours/day, 30k/year in a penalty box if you don't absolutely have to.

I absolutely agree. Financially, environmentally, and logically a smaller car that gets better gas mileage is all I need to drive the mere 30 minutes to and from work. But I am far far happier doing it in my 300. I like that car so much, I'll just go out for a midnight drive in it occasionally.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Nick1994

That's a really nice thing to do but would you make a $10-15k buying decision based on a stranger's once over? Not me. And if something is wrong with the car or goes wrong? Less money for 1 way (or round trip if you don't like it) airfare and you know what you're buying.
People are doing it all the time now with Vroom and Carvana. JustinH on here just bought an Escape online without ever seeing it.

Going out and giving my vehicle(s) a good clean-n-scrub or doing some light maintenance on them usually scratches the itch for me.

I'm terrible with the car bug though and almost never keep them more than 3-4yrs.

I don't do boats or any sort recreational vehicle stuff, so that's my sad justification of my poor financial choice with this. LOL

One day imma try the mail order used car thing and for sure given my decent luck with ex-rentals, will be trying hertz rent2buy or the likes. Depends on the specific deal of course. Finding a "deal" is what usually sends me spiraling out of control. Wheeeeeee!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back