SN+ 5w40 and 0w40 oils?

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Originally Posted by cristo

so I'm going to check out the
product in the stores and see if I can find
any product on the shelves with the
SN plus designation.

I am in Canada and had spoken with Shell tech and customer support in August and at that time and for the foreseeable future the only way for me to purchase the 0W40 SN PLUS is in a 24 quart ECO BOX
frown.gif
. I would much rather a carton of 6 one quart bottles. (Of course this may well not be the case in the USA)

That's unfortunate. Was thinking of switching with the new formulation.

Forgot about the only other auto
parts store around me - Pep Boys.
They have the PP Euro 0w40 in
5l size, so I went to look, but it's
just SN (and date code of 3/16/2017).

Forgot about the only other auto
parts store around me - Pep Boys.
They have the PP Euro 0w40 in
5l size, so I went to look, but it's
just SN (and date code of 3/16/2017).

I haven't looked at any local shops yet. I might go look later this week.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
New formulation of Pennzoil Plat Euro is SN+.

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/3c287a5e-728b-4e26-9ec3-4d5493b711a4.pdf

It is also a full SAPS A3/B4, so should have good protection.

The US Pennzoil site still shows the older
PDS (SN, not SN plus, and different VI and
other specs ), so I'm going to check out the
SN plus designation.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...o_SAE_0W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

The US Pennzoil and Quaker State sites are never up to date. For current information, visit the epc.shell.com website.

Originally Posted by wemay

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/3c287a5e-728b-4e26-9ec3-4d5493b711a4.pdf

The US Pennzoil site still shows the older
PDS (SN, not SN plus, and different VI and
other specs ), so I'm going to check out the
SN plus designation.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...o_SAE_0W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

The US Pennzoil and Quaker State sites are never up to date. For current information, visit the epc.shell.com website.

Thanks for the information, Wemay

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by edyvw

Next to MB229.5, Porsche A40, LL01, SN+ is irrelevant. But, it is there for crowd that think that is what matters.

It's likely relevant for the crown that has very small T-GDI Engines like the Hyundai 1.6T that allows a 5w40 to be used, but could be susceptible to LSPI.

Most all the 0w40 Euro oils have high Ca Content, so options on a 40wt are limited for API LSPI protection.

Do you know that common engines in Europe are running on those oils and have displacement of 0.9ltr and turbo? Or VW 1.2T? 1.4T? They all run on VW 502.00 and VW 504.00/507.00? You do know Mercedes has small turbos? That BMW has 1.5T 3cyl turbo? None has LSPI issues.
Only engine that had issue is old VW 1.4T that had turbo and supercharger.
So SN+? Irrelevant with those approvals. It is relevant ONLY if manufacturer wants specifically SN+ for warranty purposes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
@kschachn
Good question. All VOAs on Bitog are useless dalliance. Or so, right?

But I repeat my question, gladly, once:
What in THIS great datasheet is approval and what recomendation?

Yes, one must read data sheets and container labels carefully, I agree. But it isn't really a problem for me with this particular one, is it for you?

As for VOA on Bitog being "useless dalliance", I would agree with that. Maybe it is just me, although I do have a minor in Chemistry I am unable to predict the future performance of a motor oil via a VOA. Maybe you are, maybe someone else is able to do so, but I can't. I only know that the formulators of additive packages and the oil companies themselves are subject to complicated and sometimes expensive approval tests to prove conformance to required standards. If the VOA told them what they needed to know, why not just post a $30 Blackstone VOA to Bitog and wait for the outcome? Wait for the Bitog collective to pronounce the oil either a "weak sauce" or a "stout brew" based on "no titanium" or "look at that dose of molly!" Why futz around with extensive and complicated engine tests? Wouldn't that be a lot cheaper, since a Bitog analysis is free?

Why this is not a problem with this one? You can come now and says: Hey, Shell, yours datasheets are blasted annoying. Change your (censored) habits and learn finally difference between approvlas and recommendations. This is one of third things than Bitog newbies have to learn.

That one of conducts that may make the world better
56.gif
But, no. You says: Hey, Lowflyer, thats Shell Ultra, whats your problem?
Yeah. True cojones. Responsibel consumer...

With a VOA, you can see, Gulf Competition 5W-40 have NOTHING TO DO with Gulf Competition 10W-40 or 15W-50. Nothing. For example. No, not owing Blackstone...
Motul change Gear300 GL-4/GL-5 formulation significant many (MANY) yers ago and before oil-club.de rumors about it false datasheets. (Motul says: Sorry, forgotten)

Ok, for your favourite Floret-Castrol-User which speeds from Walmart to Walmart on the scout for cheapest offert... extraneous. Mostly its not difference whether a one make oil consulting on Bitog or Groupon. For my part... not my buisness.
But VOAs and GOAs, its. If a one count only dollars or count also moly and zinc.

UOAs are also useless, right? Each engine, each driver, each driving profile, each topology of routes, each weather (states), this all ist never - or extremely rarely - equal. What says also GOAs to us? Also nothing, right?

No. VOA und UOA are your-own consumer association, consumer protection and consumer benchlab. Do it folks.

Oh and yes, I do think UOA as used on here are generally useless as well. The UOA can show the TBN/TAN, fuel dilution (if analyzed properly) or coolant contamination. A standard UOA is not capable of reliably predicting imminent mechanical failure of equipment without additional sample processing, and the analysis companies have shown that they do not provide a statistically valid method of illustrating wear differences between similarly rated oils.

So certainly not entirely useless, but also nowhere near the grand importance some here place in them.

Thanks for the insight, and the scolding...

No I am not scolding you, I am just giving perspective. LSPI issues are common in newcomers in turbo technology and those that just could not care less what they sell (GM).
On top of that, SN+ is not demanding in absolutely any aspect. Old VW 502.00 from 20 years ago is more stringent than SN+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
All of that is cool stuff, kind of rambling and mostly irrelevant but cool. More power to you.

He rambles all the time.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Thanks for the insight, and the scolding...

No I am not scolding you, I am just giving perspective. LSPI issues are common in newcomers in turbo technology and those that just could not care less what they sell (GM).
On top of that, SN+ is not demanding in absolutely any aspect. Old VW 502.00 from 20 years ago is more stringent than SN+.

That wasn't a slam, I appreciate you sharing your perspective and logic.

I'm trying to ascertain which oils I would use in a 1.6T Hyundai Tucson as my wife and I have test drove a couple very low mileage units and have made offers on one.

We could end up closing a deal on one if the deal is right. Given it specs a 5w30 A5 or a 5w40 oil I was in search of a 40wt as a possible oil for it.

Given your perspective it seems like Edge 0w40 A3/B3 with its higher zinc/phos and less than 2000ppm of Calcium might be the ticket If something like the PP 0w40 Euro SN+ isn't easy to find. Also AFAIK the 1.6T Hyundai isn't plagued with LSPI issues in any of the years other than the first model year of the veloster turbo years ago.

Thanks again

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
All of that is cool stuff, kind of rambling and mostly irrelevant but cool. More power to you.
I assume thats the difference. You are totally amiss roughly often as I, but you are not cool thereby.

@edyvw
? Well... Welcome to the fan club.

Last edited:
Found Pennzoil platinum euro 0w40
with SN Plus on the label on Amazon,
product # 55005113, which is different
than the older SN product #550036272.

If it's not as pictured it's getting returned.

Found Pennzoil platinum euro 0w40
with SN Plus on the label on Amazon,
product # 55005113, which is different
than the older SN product #550036272.

If it's not as pictured it's getting returned.

Let us know how it works out for you, with pics!

Old CJ Rotella Synth had an LSPI friendly looking additive pack with Calcium under 1000 and Mg around 800. Moly is the other additive which quenches LSPI, and CJ RTS had a moderate amount.

Most recent Edge 0w-40 UOAs contained 2000+Ca and less Mg, along with some monkey business with the PDS. So I would look further into it if counting on LSPI aversion. The only thing going for it then would be the Ti.

A good recommendation, imo would be PZ Euro L 5w-30 MB 229.51 low Ca HT/HS >3.5cP and $22/jug

Originally Posted by Zolton
Old CJ Rotella Synth had an LSPI friendly looking additive pack with Calcium under 1000 and Mg around 800. Moly is the other additive which quenches LSPI, and CJ RTS had a moderate amount.

Most recent Edge 0w-40 UOAs contained 2000+Ca and less Mg, along with some monkey business with the PDS. So I would look further into it if counting on LSPI aversion. The only thing going for it then would be the Ti.

A good recommendation, imo would be PZ Euro L 5w-30 MB 229.51 low Ca HT/HS >3.5cP and $22/jug

There is NO monkey business with Castrol PDS.
If you think Castrol is doing some monkey business, you still did not venture into Pennzoil properly.

Back