Anyone use 0w-16 in a car calling for anything thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering it, being that my car never sees operating temperature in the winter thanks to a short commute. Also trying to see if 0w-16 and 0w-20 can be safely mixed

Originally Posted by jqgz
I am considering it, being that my car never sees operating temperature in the winter thanks to a short commute. Also trying to see if 0w-16 and 0w-20 can be safely mixed

If you mix them you might end up with something much heavier than you expect.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

I mean, wouldn't the resultant viscosity be between that of a 20 and a 16?

Anyone use 0w-16 in a car calling for anything thicker? I am considering it, being that my car never sees operating temperature in the winter thanks to a short commute.
Also trying to see if 0w-16 and 0w-20 can be safely mixed
They're both 0w's and will both perform as such.
No backyard mixology will result into a better cold temperature performer than either of these.

What kind of car is it?
smile.gif

That's how Flubber was invented, lol.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish? The difference between a 0W-16 and 0W-20 is their viscosity at operating temperature so how would mixing two oils with the same cold temperature viscosity help your situation?

If your engine never gets hot you have other worries - fuel and water dilution for a start, which might lead you to think about higher rather than lower viscosity.

Yeah, my first thought was that you'll potentially see quicker warmup with a heavier grade of oil due to more pumping resistance. And, as others have stated, if it gets short-tripped a lot, fuel and condensation could be a concern.

What car we talkin?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
....... What car we talkin?

That's what I would like to know. So far, all I've heard were that the new Toyota Camry's were the only one's using 0W-16 thus far. If there are other makes and models, out of curiosity I would like to know which one's?

I mean, wouldn't the resultant viscosity be between that of a 20 and a 16?

Maybe....Why not pick one and just use that??

No but I did watch a Scotty Kilmer video on the 0w16 GF-6A and GF-6B. Some the test sequences he rattled off it seems that oils with these ratings are going to perform significantly better than predecessors. Especially with regards to oxidation, timing chain wear, etc.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish? The difference between a 0W-16 and 0W-20 is their viscosity at operating temperature so how would mixing two oils with the same cold temperature viscosity help your situation?

OP is in NY and unlikely to see the -40F / -40C where the two oils are the same, certainly not for very long. Above that cold (very cold!) point the 0W16 should be thinner... should be, although without actual curves it's a guess. More typical winter temp would be 10 or 20F above zero.

I'm thinking, does it matter? Car is in NY and likely to rust away before giving mechanical problems... just use 0W20 and find something else to worry about (like parking tickets, snow tires, taxes, ...).

What you are post really should ask is should ! change the oil a bit sooner.

Subaru Impreza 2.0 CVT. Driven gently about 8 miles to and from work each way. Lot of short trips. 5k oci maximum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back