Update on my sister's oil burning Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.
A year ago I posted that my sister's 2017 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 L was burning 1 liter per 1000 kms. She was told that it had to be worse than that for Hyundai to replace the engine. They confirmed the the oil consumption was just slightly under but very close to 1 liter per 1000 kms with two separate consumption tests over the past year. Each tests meant 7 or 8 visits to the dealer to have the oil checked and topped up by them, a real nuisance for my sis.

Thoroughly fed up, she traded it for a 2018 Ford Edge yesterday at her local Ford dealer. Her husband did the negotiating, says their happy with the deal. My sister says she feels like a big weight was lifted not having to go near that Hyundai dealer again, and she's thrilled with the new wheels.

The 2.0 L in the Tucson has a good reputation AFAIK, but she was unlucky to get a lemon. That Hyundai dealer though, terrible service. Customer satisfaction sure isn't a priority to them, and they didn't do any favors for Hyundai's reputation either. My sister liked the Tucson otherwise, and would have been happy with it if the dealer had fixed the oil burning problem.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
So now some other poor soul gets to experience this issue.

Surely the dealer will tell the buyer of it's mechanical history...................................................................................................................

If the oil change interval was 7500 km or so I would have run the sump dry to burn up the engine then refill oil and let them replace it.

Surely the Ford dealer will fix it since they know about it ...

Not any dealer I've ever bought a used car from, no matter how they claim otherwise. Hide, not repair, that's S.O.P.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
That Hyundai dealer though, terrible service. Customer satisfaction sure isn't a priority to them, and they didn't do any favors for Hyundai's reputation either. My sister liked the Tucson otherwise, and would have been happy with it if the dealer had fixed the oil burning problem.

Why didn't she take it to another dealer? I've known people with 100,000 mile Hyundai/Kias get new engines for various reasons.

Originally Posted by atikovi
That Hyundai dealer though, terrible service. Customer satisfaction sure isn't a priority to them, and they didn't do any favors for Hyundai's reputation either. My sister liked the Tucson otherwise, and would have been happy with it if the dealer had fixed the oil burning problem.

Why didn't she take it to another dealer? I've known people with 100,000 mile Hyundai/Kias get new engines for various reasons.

Sadly, time is a luxury not everyone has.
coffee2.gif

When I told my father of the huge waste of time and ripoff a local shop was (when I had my Focus) he insisted I waste several more hours and days with the incompitent shop.
I told him I had to absorb the waste of time and money, as my time is worth more than badgering a shop owner who's only interested in making money.
As a result I simply left them bad reviews on the internet. That got the shop owners attention, but it was too late as I found a better, cheaper shop to rectify the situation.

Sorry to hear, OP. Glad she got something else. Car issues along with poor service can be exhausting.

"Why didn't she take it to another dealer? I've known people with 100,000 mile Hyundai/Kias get new engines for various reasons."

This was the only Hyundai dealer within an hour of her, the next one is another hour away.

Last edited:
Customer satisfaction sure isn't a priority to them, and they didn't do any favors for Hyundai's reputation either.

Those in the know understand Hyundai/Kia's reputation of intermittent quality is well deserved.

As a tech, if I end up with a "problem vehicle" I do exactly the same thing. I bail out of it. Sold my Jetta due to reliability issues. Sure, I can fix it, but it's not my goal to show the world I can keep a lemon running.

Last edited:
They confirmed the the oil consumption was just slightly under but very close to 1 liter per 1000 kms with two separate consumption tests over the past year.
I have to wonder if you had found a way to let out another half liter between every visit, they would have still told her the same thing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Pretty sure they seal every orifice with a tamper evident seal.

that was the point of letting it run dry

Unfortunate that someone in her family got into the dealer and forced the issue. If my sister ran into this crap, I would be there calling district manager or even corporate. Ed

I've been warning guys on here for years now to stay far away from anything Hyundai Kia with any Theta2 engine! They all come complete with an unfixable engine flaw. Those things have been dying Ike flies since 2011 and as far as I know they're still making the things. As bad as it is in the US market Canadians get raked over the coals due to weak consumer protection laws. In the Hyundai forums there's a separate long running thread on Canadian engine failure issues and it's filled with ugly stories. There's no recall so no 120k miles 10 yr new engine warranty like the US has so Canadians are pretty much SOL if a day out of warranty.

She should have driven it on the highway, downshifted so the RPMs were 4,000+ for the interval.

My Sonata religiously burns 1 quart in 5,000 miles. Not too bad.

Originally Posted by Driz
I've been warning guys on here for years now to stay far away from anything Hyundai Kia with any Theta2 engine! They all come complete with an unfixable engine flaw. Those things have been dying Ike flies since 2011 and as far as I know they're still making the things. As bad as it is in the US market Canadians get raked over the coals due to weak consumer protection laws. In the Hyundai forums there's a separate long running thread on Canadian engine failure issues and it's filled with ugly stories. There's no recall so no 120k miles 10 yr new engine warranty like the US has so Canadians are pretty much SOL if a day out of warranty.

Thanks for the warning
cool.gif

You keep up this false narrative that all Thetta's are doomed. Simply not true. Along with a couple bad ones, that could and does happen to all makes, I can tell you of countless very high mileage Thetta 2.0T and 2.4. Our Santa Fe for example, will hit 200k miles before years end. I owned a 2.4 Sonata for 188k miles when I sold it. Our neighbor is past 200k miles on his Optima, running quick lube conventional oils and jobber filters. It's unfortunate that your partner's was a bad one too, but the vast majority are running well into hundreds of thousands of miles.

And every single auto forum has a section just like the one you mention. All of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back