Odd situation. What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 2012 Civic in Maryland. Winter is approaching.

4.5 years ago I was in a pinch and had four Cooper CS3 (195/65 R15 91T) tires put on her car. Then about 2.5 years ago one of the tires had a huge bulge in the sidewall. Again in a pinch, I went to the nearest tire store (Sears) and got two more Cooper CS3 tires to replace the bad one and its counterpart. At the time the original set had about 23,000 miles on them. I put the two new tires on the front and have kept the older tires on the back since then. However, when I had the tires replaced, I kept the third good tire as a full sized spare should she ever need it.

Fast forward to today and one of the older rear tires had a bulge on the sidewall (I'm really not a fan of these Cooper tires). So I grabbed the spare tire and replaced it. Now she has four Cooper CS3 tires on her car; the front tires have 24,500 miles on them, the one rear tire has 23,000 miles on it, and the other rear tire has 47,500 miles on it. They will be fine for now as even the oldest tire has decent tread left, but I am concerned how that hodgepodge will act once the snow comes.

So I am considering three options:
1) Leave the tires on the car since they all still have good tread left, although they have screwed me twice;
2) Get four new BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport 91H tires installed and out of the door for $360 (current deal at BJs); or
3) Get four new General Altimax RT43 91H tires installed and out of the door for $420 (I have these on my Camry and like them).

What would you do? Bite the bullet and toss the Coopers, or good tread is good tread and keep them on?

The tire with the bulge, can you get it replaced under warranty?

How much snow do you get during winter? I'm guessing you guys don't run dedicated winter tires.

I would try to get one more season out of the set and then replace them next year. Unless it's too risky for your wife driving in the winter months.

If the Cooper's aren't serving you well, go with a brand you'll be assured with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

How much snow do you get during winter? I'm guessing you guys don't run dedicated winter tires.

I would try to get one more season out of the set and then replace them next year. Unless it's too risky for your wife driving in the winter months.

If the Cooper's aren't serving you well, go with a brand you'll be assured with.

Maryland really runs the gamut for weather. Hot summers, cold winters, sometimes no snow, sometimes multiple feet of it. If I had the time and money I'd have dedicated winter tires for my cars, but all-season tires are far more convenient. The RT43s on my Camry handle the snow pretty well. I think I'm just trying to talk myself out of spending 400 bucks on new tires since the current ones have some miles left in them, although at this point I will never buy Cooper tires again.

Edit: And I've already tossed the bulged tire. I imagine the warranty process on tires this cheap/bad would be an absolute headache.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

Sidewall bulges are 99 % caused by harsh impacts with potholes /road debris, and are not covered by most tire warranties ... you need separate road hazard protection, which may be included with the tire purchase at many places, or available as an extra cost option.

And, how much tread depth is " decent tread ... " ? If the tire has 4 or 5/32's or more, it is probably fine, as it is the same tire as the others. If it is on the wear bars, it might have noticeably less grip in snow, and if left on the back, possibly cause a spin.

You don't want to spin ...

That is why places like Costco WILL NOT put two new tires on the front. If you slide off the road, it's your fault for going too fast. If you lose grip at the rear and spin, a lawyer would say it's Costco's fault for putting new tires on the front.

I think you will be fine driving with option #1, and that would be my choice if faced with these circumstances.

But since you are asking the question, I suspect you aren't too sure with option #1 and are asking for justification for spending the $ now for a new set of rubber. You'll need to decide for yourself.

Is she required to drive in the heaviest of snow you'll see, for example to go to work, or is it an option to just not drive in bad conditions?

This would be my primary distinction, that if she must go out in bad weather, get new snow service rated (snowflake stamped) tires if not separate winter and summer tires.

Otherwise, keeping same tires you do not want to rotate the rear to the front as the unequal diameters will cause more handling oddities than in the rear, but not rotating them you will have accelerated wear on the edges of the front.

If they really have decent tread, and are not old enough that the compound has hardened too much, AND she's not required to drive in the worst it can get, then I'd keep using them.

If she is required to drive in the worst of the snow (and especially ice), I'd get the RT43 or an even better choice (staying with all seasons) would be Firestone Weathergrips.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...reModel=WeatherGrip&partnum=965HR5WG

Wait until one of the Coopers develops a bulge, then replace all 4.

or, if $360 means little to you, replace now and have done with it. But if $360 means little to you, then the extra you'll pay for not getting sale tires means little also.

Totally your call.

If it was start of summer I'd run the new tires up front and run for a while so as to even out the wear.

Winter coming, hmm. I might still do so, as it is a couple months off. Depending on the difference in tread depth I'd make a call as to if I wanted to leave well enough alone, or put the best on the rear to prevent oversteer. The one time I lost control of the rear of a FWD I don't think the issue was tread depth--excessive speed (for the conditions) and using all seasons on several inches of slush & snow. As geeman789 says, if it's more than 5/32's then it's probably not an issue for rain; snow, I dunno, I think all seasons just don't have what it takes for side to side traction, period.

If it was me, if the other two tires were say 6 or 8 32nd's, I give good thought to wait for black friday deals. If nothing else I'd wait until just before winter to get new rubber.

I always make sure my wife's car is in order, especially when winter is coming. I like Supton's idea. Black Friday.

Those Civics don't ask for much. Get the new rubber you want.
Agree with NYEng. Keep wife's car as good as you can. Peace of mind rocks.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
^Agreed. Nothing is ever marginal on wife's car. If you want to get the winter out of the Coopers and your car has better tires I know what we'd be doing. (You like driving the Civic in snow right?) Unless of course she's the better driver.

Otherwise I'd be done with troublesome tires and put my wife on new ones for the winter and not look back.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
^Agreed. Nothing is ever marginal on wife's car. If you want to get the winter out of the Coopers and your car has better tires I know what we'd be doing. (You like driving the Civic in snow right?) Unless of course she's the better driver.

Otherwise I'd be done with troublesome tires and put my wife on new ones for the winter and not look back.

Exactly. Maybe it depends on how much he likes the wife. The real way to go is to get tires that have a road hazard warranty. BJs and Costco gives you a road hazard warranty with their tires. Last time I was at Sears, they charged extra for it. And as others said, depends on how much tread is on the tires. 3/32 is minimum for dry conditions with 2/32 being worn out. Having 4/32's is the minimum for rain and 5/32's is the minimum for snow. The tires with the best tread should be on the rear. If you don't meet those specs, get new tires.

Do yourself a favor and buy tires that have 2 ply sidewalls. Such tires hold up better to potholes. 1 ply sidewall tires are fragile.

Sidewall bulges are frequently caused by road impact - I wouldn't necessarily blame the tire mfr. you should have AT LEAST 5/32" tread. more is preferred in rainy and snowy weather. put the best tires on the rear.

Originally Posted by tomcat27

... put the best tires on the rear.

Everyone says that ... except on a FWD car the front wheels power the car, steer the car and stop the car. Kind of important stuff ... You need good grip up front too !

If the rear tires are below about 5/32's, they don't belong on either end in the winter.

They'll be fine. Go with the tires mounted on the vehicle. It's not like a Civic is going to be plowing through heavy snow anyway.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by tomcat27

... put the best tires on the rear.

Everyone says that ... except on a FWD car the front wheels power the car, steer the car and stop the car.

Exactly why you put the best tires on the rear. At least you have some control of the front wheels even with worn tires. You have no direct control of the rears.

I would investigate if its been racked up to pothole damage or Curb hits whilst parking

If someone is hitting curbs when parking. I wouldn't worry - just a scolding.

Being cheap, I'd run the tires if she is not doing "super speedway" commute everyday on the interstate.

Further,

What does she think? She should have some input.

Women have Brains in their heads
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back