2019 Jeep Rubicon Factory Filter [800 miles]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumped the factory fill in my Rubicon today. I am always puzzled why the oil has so many sparkling particles in it--meaning one would think it would be trapped by the filter. The OEM Mopar filter looks solid though it is an "e-core" style. A FRAM Ultra replaced it (but at this point, I am not sure that will be my long term filter) and Castrol Edge filled the sump. A few photos:

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Those sparkling particles are why I always changed the oil on my new cars early. Never went more than 1k.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Those sparkling particles are why I always changed the oil on my new cars early. Never went more than 1k.

I hear ya. I do the same.

The only vehicle I did a factory oil change on (at 2200 miles) that didn't have any sparkles in the oil was on a 2015 Mustang GT. And the filter was spotless. It was actually kind of puzzeling.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Is that filter that big? Or I it an illusion?

It's an illusion.

What sparkling particles?

You shoot with direct flash, you're going to get all kinds of light reflections.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

You shoot with direct flash, you're going to get all kinds of light reflections.

It's typically aluminum particles, super small that are probably less than 10μ.

Stir the oil in the drain pan with a light over it and you can clearly see the streaks as the oil moves around. Do the same thing on a vehicle well after break-in and you can't see any sparkles or streaking.

I am not talking about the filter, I am talking about the oil in the drain pan. Full of metal particles that swirl + sparkle when stirred and viewed in sunlight. It has happened on every new car I have ever owned so not a fluke.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

I am not talking about the filter, I am talking about the oil in the drain pan. Full of metal particles that swirl + sparkle when stirred and viewed in sunlight. It has happened on every new car I have ever owned so not a fluke.

Never had that happen with any new car engine oil changes,
BUT I've had that with differentials. I drain differentials at 5K miles if I buy new/immediately if I buy used.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
What sparkling particles? You shoot with direct flash, you're going to get all kinds of light reflections.
Never had that happen with any new car engine oil changes, BUT I've had that with differentials. I drain differentials at 5K miles if I buy new/immediately if I buy used.
Color me special then, every new car I have ever owned I have changed the factory fill between 1000 and 1500 miles and all of them had metal in the oil that could be seen in bright sunlight. It was luminescent and when sloshed around it was easy to see. I do find it hard to believe that my experience is unique, but even if it is, all the more reason to dump the oil early.

Color me special then, every new car I have ever owned I have changed the factory fill between 1000 and 1500 miles and all of them had metal in the oil that could be seen in bright sunlight. It was luminescent and when sloshed around it was easy to see. I do find it hard to believe that my experience is unique, but even if it is, all the more reason to dump the oil early.

What you're seeing is pretty much the norm. As said earlier, every new car, truck and motorcycle I've done a factory fill oil change on had "silver streaked" oil in the drain pan. Only exception was the 2015 Mustang GT which was an unexpected surprise. And I looked hard for it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

What you're seeing is pretty much the norm. As said earlier, every new car, truck and motorcycle I've done a factory fill oil change on had "silver streaked" oil in the drain pan. Only exception was the 2015 Mustang GT which was an unexpected surprise. And I looked hard for it.

Maybe it's the norm, but some dealers change the oil on new inventory? Especially if it's been sitting on the lot for 6+mo/rec oci time interval? :Shrug:

Maybe it's the norm, but some dealers change the oil on new inventory? Especially if it's been sitting on the lot for 6+mo/rec oci time interval? :Shrug:
I highly doubt that a dealer is going to change the oil on car sitting on the lot, it would definitely impact their profit margin for zero gain. In addition, it would not matter had they changed it or not since the engines were not running during that time and the metal would be produced at the point when the car was sold.

We had a few new cars in inventory that were duds that didn't sell, some over 18 months old. Poor management and inventory control. All they got was the typical PDI and a quick detail when they were finally sold. They went out with the factory fill. Management wouldn't spend a nickle more than they had to on a new car prep.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

We had a few new cars in inventory that were duds that didn't sell, some over 18 months old. Poor management and inventory control. All they got was the typical PDI and a quick detail when they were finally sold. They went out with the factory fill. Management wouldn't spend a nickel more than they had to on a new car prep.

when I bought a leftover '18 Dodge Journey (2.4L 4 banger; 4 speed auto) in July I became a wee bit concerned about 'dealership lot' rot & I have been monitoring engine oil & trans fluid (levels, color, odor, usage); in slightly over 1200 miles...oil level went down @ 4 ounces w/ minor top off, color has darkened a bit, no fuel odor...starting to get the usual 'used oil' odor; trans fluid level has been steady & no unusual odor; not sure when I want to dump the factory fill...maybe 3k miles; might just let the olm let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back