What filter is best for me? (dual filter remote mount on Ford 5.4)

I have a 2001 F-150 with the 5.4 engine. The 2V version, not the 3V that everyone has problems with. Anyways, I hated the factory filter location so I bought a dual filter relocation kit. I figured 2 filters is better than one, right? I run SuperTech full synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 miles at most - usually less as I don't put a ton of miles on the truck and it gets changed due to time rather than miles.

I have been a lurker on this site for years. I read until my head hurt trying to figure out which filters are best. I finally got tired of reading and settled on Fram Ultras. The relocation kit I bought uses Fram PH8A style filters, so I am using the XG8A. I have been running those for a while.

But I am looking for advice on whether they are the right filter for my application. I have been trying to find specs for the bypass valve on the factory filter so I can find something comparable, but I have not had much luck. Where do you get that information?

I have also read some mixed reviews on whether Fram Ultras have gone downhill and I am wondering if I should switch to something else.

Thoughts on the dual filter setup? They are run in parallel, not series. Good, bad, or indifferent? If it is doing more harm than good I am not opposed to getting rid of it and getting a single filter adapter to replace it with. But if it's not doing any harm I might as well keep it.

How do I determine what specs I should look for in a filter? If you had my truck with my setup, what filter would you run and why?

For 5k it's surpises me your going through with this. These engines go 250k miles frequently. Why not reach out to the filter suppler or run what they provided. Bypass would be my guess vs parallel but thats b/c I dont know much about them.

I have been a lurker on this site for years. I read until my head hurt trying to figure out which filters are best. I finally got tired of reading and settled on Fram Ultras. The relocation kit I bought uses Fram PH8A style filters, so I am using the XG8A. I have been running those for a while.

But I am looking for advice on whether they are the right filter for my application. I have been trying to find specs for the bypass valve on the factory filter so I can find something comparable, but I have not had much luck. Where do you get that information?
The new Ultra is just as efficient and rated for just as long as the wire-backed Ultra. I wouldn't worry about it being "degraded".

Thoughts on the dual filter setup? They are run in parallel, not series. Good, bad, or indifferent? If it is doing more harm than good I am not opposed to getting rid of it and getting a single filter adapter to replace it with. But if it's not doing any harm I might as well keep it.

How do I determine what specs I should look for in a filter? If you had my truck with my setup, what filter would you run and why?
Since the two filters, which are pretty large in size, run in parrallel then the delta-p across the filters will be about half of what it would be with the oil running through one filter. So I wouldn't worry about the bypass valve setting. What filter does the engine specify, and what's the Fram filter that fits it have for a bypass setting?

It depends on who the questioner is.
I bet I could find some filters that would "fit", but nobody here would actually want to use them if they saw the guts of the filter. Like this one ... looks very low quality, like those ones shown being made in Pakistan in a room with 60 year old machines and a dirt floor by workers that are about 12 years old, lol.

The engine already has 262,000 miles on it, it had 250k when I bought the truck. I think it was neglected and not maintained properly before I bought it from what I have seen under the valve covers. I've replaced the timing chains, lifters, and oil pump on it. It really only needed lifters, but while I was in there I thought I might as well do a few other things.

I just want it to last long enough that it dies of rust instead of engine issues.

The factory filter is a Motorcraft FL820S.

With a 5,000 mile OCI you'll be treating your truck well. The cross reference for FL820S is a Fram Extra Guard PH2 and Tough Guard TG2 and recommend them.

I use the Extra Guard on my 1986 CJ7 and Tough Guards on our Subaru Forester and Grand Cherokee. Both will be great with your 5K OCI. I recommend Fram products because of their performance specs, build quality and value for the dollar.

Anyways, I hated the factory filter location so I bought a dual filter relocation kit. I figured 2 filters is better than one, right?
Thoughts on the dual filter setup?

More is actually better, but if noticeably better?
Definitely not better to your wallet.

They are run in parallel, not series. Good, bad, or indifferent?

Parallel is fine. I wouldn't use two filters in series in particular on a road-going vehicle.

I have a 2001 F-150 with the 5.4 engine. The 2V version, not the 3V that everyone has problems with. Anyways, I hated the factory filter location so I bought a dual filter relocation kit. I figured 2 filters is better than one, right? I run SuperTech full synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 miles at most - usually less as I don't put a ton of miles on the truck and it gets changed due to time rather than miles.

I have also read some mixed reviews on whether Fram Ultras have gone downhill and I am wondering if I should switch to something else.

I would stay with what you have they are a great filter two makes it better

The engine already has 262,000 miles on it, it had 250k when I bought the truck. I think it was neglected and not maintained properly before I bought it from what I have seen under the valve covers. I've replaced the timing chains, lifters, and oil pump on it. It really only needed lifters, but while I was in there I thought I might as well do a few other things.

I just want it to last long enough that it dies of rust instead of engine issues.

The factory filter is a Motorcraft FL820S.
Run 5w30, use a good synthetic, and that 5.4l 2v will run a very long time. Change the oil every 3000 miles.

Your real worry in that 2v is the plugs. Change the plugs often and overtighten. Plugs spitting out is the only likely issue you will have if you use good 5w30 synthetic and change the oil every 3k. I am at a loss why the remote oil filter, but that is your call

I

I had a 98 Expy w 5.4.. 4x4
factory oil filter location was under the left front behind the bumper.
I usually ran the motocraft 820. Synthetic 5w30 Supertech every 10k.
sold the truck at around the 230k mark, it still ran fine..

so I don't have any advice on the dual filters other than the idea they can't hurt
and whatever you do it will be OK

Back