early OCI because of HIGH REVVING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
The AFM should hold up just fine.

I would be worrying about the Veeblefetzer shaft. There is a bulletin on that. Ask your dealer.

Oh man, yeah I read an article about that a couple weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it again to post up the link.

I accidentally hit redline merging onto the interstate last week. Pulled over and changed the oil right there on the side of the road. I always keep a jug of oil in my trunk just for that reason. I also re-torqued the wheels just in case the acceleration made the lug nuts loose.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Open it up a bit, you're not helping the engine by babying like that everywhere and you're definitely infuriating everyone else on the road as you accelerate slowly.

tell me about it! I am WOT alot in the ranger just to keep up with traffic accelerating, 100hp and tall gears woohoo
banana2.gif

Best of all if you have a stick shift, just get up to a nice highway speed and drop down a bunch of gears to bury the needle way towards the end of the red zone - this initiates an auto-drain sequence, doing half of the oil change for you! Don't even need to get your hands dirty.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
it has Active Fuel Management so that is why i'm worried a bit
I use chevron or Mobil 91 octane
so knocking or pre detonation is not really a issue

know AFM does not play nice with bad oil or "used up" oil..

The highest RPM i normally do is 2500RPM from a STOP SIGN Freeway entrance other wise I keep it 1000 to 1600 rpm under normal driving conditions(sometimes 1800rpm, that will do AFM @80MPH @ 1800RPM on flat land)

Well if you are worried about carbon build up the worst thing you can do is baby the vehicle and you are not gaining anything by using 91 octane.

VVT as well for extra power

Yes it can take advantage of it i have seen the Timing advance @ 42 degrees advancement .. (from live data stream) AFM does not have that stutter or shutter AFM knock.

better fuel mileage on the HIGHWAY makes it worth it i get 23.5 to 26MPG on the highway with 91 octane

with 87 octane it will get EPA MPG 19 so unless 87 drops below 3.099 a gallon it's not worth my time current price is 3.39 at the cheapest station near by

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
If I changed my oil every time I went WOT on my car, things would get complicated in a hurry...I'm trying to envision what my life would be like under those circumstances...

Typical Day in my Life:
1) Wake up, go for breakfast, come home, change oil.
2) Go for test drive to verify oil change performed correctly, come home, change oil.
3) Repeat step 2 until tired, go home, sleep, dream about changing oil.

lol.gif

Holy cow.... Post of the month for sure...

And I would be with you... I go hammer down quite a bit myself. I'd be just you on the above circumstance
lol.gif

My previous car, an Acura Integra 1.8L , was redlined approximately 131400 times over 18 years ...

And it wasn't the engine that died, it was the body and interior .

Last edited:
Won't hurt a thing. Engines are designed to handle it when cared for, and at operating temperature when the oil flows much better. Don't be afraid to gun it if necessary.

Originally Posted by mattd
Engines prefer to be WORKED rather than babied.

Same goes for the human body, within reason.
But that's the exception these days. LOL.

Whew I was worried. Went to get on interstate and a Camaro convertible tried to run over my soccer mom.van and got embarrassed. Nothing like flooring it and watching someone get smaller in mirror only to slow down and they get on side of you and flip you off
Redlined until triple digits. I still am not going to change oil until around April.

The highest RPM i normally do is 2500RPM from a STOP SIGN Freeway entrance other wise I keep it 1000 to 1600 rpm under normal driving conditions(sometimes 1800rpm, that will do AFM @80MPH @ 1800RPM on flat land)

Well if you are worried about carbon build up the worst thing you can do is baby the vehicle and you are not gaining anything by using 91 octane.

Yes it can take advantage of it i have seen the Timing advance @ 42 degrees advancement .. (from live data stream) AFM does not have that stutter or shutter AFM knock.

better fuel mileage on the HIGHWAY makes it worth it i get 23.5 to 26MPG on the highway with 91 octane

with 87 octane it will get EPA MPG 19 so unless 87 drops below 3.099 a gallon it's not worth my time current price is 3.39 at the cheapest station near by

If this were true GM would recommend using 91 octane the extra 20%+ of fuel economy helps their CAFE.

If this were true GM would recommend using 91 octane the extra 20%+ of fuel economy helps their CAFE.

This^
My Hemi recommends 91, if I run 89 I get a mpg or two less avg.

On my Van with 3.6 I don't notice any better acceleration or fuel mileage if anything it gets less. Engine was designed for 87 or up to E85 with E85 getting even less from what I here as I never ran E85. I watch timing advance with 89 and on first tank I loved the extra power and fuel mileage then when I filled it up no difference so third tank no difference now 87. I realized that by putting higher octane I felt better not vehicle ran better.

Op,
I would not worry about a couple of redlines ... Even better if I'm not using any thin (e.g. x20) oil.
obviously a thicker and higher hths oil will handle the redline better. Another good reason to use a thicker oil
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by noclutch
Originally Posted by mattd
Engines prefer to be WORKED rather than babied.

Same goes for the human body, within reason.
But that's the exception these days. LOL.

That reminds me to hit the Y today at lunchtime!
I usually take a day off between running and lifting, but I was at the Bosox Wednesday and had to run last night...will be very sore today, too bad for me I guess.
Wasn't a problem when I was young, being over 50 sucks...used to run/bike and lift on the same day with no issues.

I am pretty much guaranteed a redline every work day, have to merge with 80+ mph traffic off a very poorly designed ramp on my way to the office on my usual (95% of commutes) route.
So, I am either getting it going at the end of the ramp if nobody is ahead of me or I need to punch it just after the merge to get around slowpokes that have merged ahead of me.
I can't even fathom why people try to merge with fast traffic while they are going 30-40mph when they don't have to...that kind of speed differential is terrifying to me.
Am at 105kmiles on this engine with no issues, but I do change the oil every 5kmiles...somewhat below Subaru's recommendation. They said every 7.5kmiles for 2014 and then dropped it to 6k the next model year with no apparent engine change...probably due to the consumption issues they were having with other engines.

Not a lier check out my Fuelly log

the dip are my city milage it's been less lately (short trips don't help) as I been using the A/C FULL blast

Front and REAR A/C keeps my SUV as cold as a ice box

(keeps the engine going in the city) well it has been over 100F every [censored] day

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/tahoe/2008/brent88/905265

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back