Flywheel broke 2012 V8 Silverado, with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if that damage could come from dumping the trans from neutral to drive with it rev'd up, like dumping a clutch at full throttle.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm wondering if that damage could come from dumping the trans from neutral to drive with it rev'd up, like dumping a clutch at full throttle.

HAHA, see what confusion this has caused. It's an automatic.

Originally Posted by atikovi

HAHA, see what confusion this has caused. It's an automatic.

I know its an automatic, i also have known people to dump them from neutral to drive with it rev'd up LIKE dumping a clutch.

The "neutral bomb" style of driving is murder on practically every drivetrain part.

Dual mass flywheels are a manual car technology. As noted an automatic car doesn't have a heavy iron flywheel at all, the torque converter body (which always spins at the same speed as the engine) is heavy enough to provide the inertia needed to keep the engine running.

Last edited:

The Forward Sprag will either flip it's elements or the Outer Race/Forward Clutch Hub will break long before the flexplate gives out. Ford calls their Sprags & Roller Clutches "Mechanical Diodes"
grin.gif

This makes the second Gen IV LSx Flexplate I've seen break, Thanks for posting.....It's about unheard of with the Gen III LSx at moderate power levels.

The '97-'00 "Revolver" style being the strongest, The '01-'06 "Jellybean" style can fail with really high stalls & transbrakes but never in a stock vehicle.

Gen IV
Jellybean
Revolver

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Surprising to see just 3 bolts is all that connects the engine to the transmission on a truck. [censored], I was surprised to see that when I replaced the transmission in a Spark.

GM uses 6 when the GVWR is above 8600#, But have used 3 in light duty vehicles since the Powerglide.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

??? Trying to think what could cause a failure like that. The only time it serves a purpose is when the starter kicks in. From what I can see, the teeth seem OK.

Thinking one of three things:

1) Defective part (weak metal or slightly warped) that gradually bent over time under starter load.
2) Starter somehow not installed properly and bendix gear not engaging squarely.
3) Bolts loosened-up over time.

Any other ideas?

Crank has too much thrust. Moves forward and backwards too much

Interesting how the triangle piece broke out. The three points are pointing to the torque convertor bolt holes. This might back up the too much crank thrust clearances. IDK.......

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Had an interesting failure on a truck at work, 2012 Silverado 4.8L V8 / 4L60E auto with about 180K miles on it.

It has been making a knocking noise for a while that was suspected to be the flywheel...found out it for sure it was...
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The driver said there wasn't any real noise when it happened, it just stopped pulling as he was going down the interstate. He pulled over and it was still running, but the AC cut off, so he turned it off and tried to restart, and nothing. It took out the starter pinion too.

Reman starter, new flywheel, and a trans mount and it's back on the road. Amazingly no other damage. The guy who usually drives the truck is not abusive, but some of the previous operators probably were.

Someone was hammering this trucks transmission from reverse to drive, vise versa, to cause this damage. That, and/or revving up the engine then slamming the trans into gear. I have seen it a few times in my uncles trans shop when I was younger. Did anyone else see the crack in the flex plate at the 9 o'clock position?
BTW, it's called a flex plate.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Trav
Good time to do the rear main seal and front trans seal also, that would be high on my list while I was in there with 180K on it.

Whenever I sell one or a clutch I suggest it but very few people want to do it. I guess they think I am a stealer type employee, their loss.

Yep it sure is, you are telling them the truth.

While towing, jamming the transmission selector from drive to reverse and drag racing can increase the failure rate on a flexplate, the last one that I saw fail was on a 1980 Ford Fairmont with the six cylinder, 200 c.i. engine.
That car didn't fit into any of those categories. Sometimes, they just seem to fail for no real reason other than man-made parts can sometimes fail.

Good time to do the rear main seal and front trans seal also, that would be high on my list while I was in there with 180K on it.

Whenever I sell one or a clutch I suggest it but very few people want to do it. I guess they think I am a stealer type employee, their loss.

Yep it sure is, you are telling them the truth.

Especially on a modular V8 where you just pop that cover off and put some new silicone on and slap it back together. Or on a 7.3 or 6.0 Powerstroke where it is just a pain to get to and you know it will probably need to be done 1,000 miles later.

I've seen a flexplate fail on a '68 AMC Javelin 6 cylinder. The crack makes a knocking noise that you may think is a rod or wrist pin failure.

I pulled it from my friend's aunt's car before it failed

You put a big torque load on the drivetrain, the power transfer shafts get jacked " nonco-axial " easier than you think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Flywheel broke 2012 V8 Silverado, with pics

That's a flexplate.

Ford for one calls them all flywheels no matter the transmission type.

OP's car is a Chevy.

If it makes you feel better, Mazda calls them "Plate, Drive"

If it makes you feel better, Mazda calls them "Plate, Drive"

Do you parts guys have a cheat sheet showing what description crosses to some other manufacturer? I'm sure you must have seen a few wacky names for common parts by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back