Camry lower ball joint replacement trick needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by The Critic
NY may be a different story than CA. But around here, I have seen cracked dust boots and the joints will remain quiet and tight for years. Personally I would leave it alone, but the climate in NY may dictate more aggressive actions.

I agree . Keep running it until it gets loose .

Can you inject some new grease into the boot ?

In Texas....You can get away with a torn boot for a LONG time, As Trav lives & works in the northeast.....I would heed his warning!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
NY may be a different story than CA. But around here, I have seen cracked dust boots and the joints will remain quiet and tight for years. Personally I would leave it alone, but the climate in NY may dictate more aggressive actions.

In Texas....You can get away with a torn boot for a LONG time, As Trav lives & works in the northeast.....I would heed his warning!

totally agreed! I check suspension every time I change oil, rotate tires, etc. The lower ball joints are load carrying and are the critical components that connect your wheel hubs to the control arms. They provide universal pivoting movement between the wheel hubs and control arms to give you a safe, smooth ride and allow you to precisely control your vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by windeye
Originally Posted by clinebarger

totally agreed! I check suspension every time I change oil, rotate tires, etc. The lower ball joints are load carrying and are the critical components that connect your wheel hubs to the control arms. They provide universal pivoting movement between the wheel hubs and control arms to give you a safe, smooth ride and allow you to precisely control your vehicle.

Friend of mine just totaled a car when a balljoint let go. Driving on a dirt road so he was going reasonably slow. Didn't have time to hit the brakes, just went off and hit a tree. Makes me wonder if whatever shop he had been doing wasn't doing their job (but he lives on a dirt road so it could have gone out that fast).

One of the first things I learned in this business was never go cheap (white box) or put off work on brakes, steering or suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back