STOP changing your oil so often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by CARJ
Stop telling me how to maintain my vehicles...

Exactly. I will keep doing my 5K OCIs as it is much cheaper than an engine.

Is it though?

Two extra oil changes per year, say $35 in materials x 2 is $70. If it takes you an hour each time, pay yourself $50 an hour on a weekend and you're looking at $170 per year. Do this for fifteen years and you're at $2550. If your engine lasts less time is debatable but let's say it lasts thirteen years instead of fifteen, does it really matter at that point? Car is going to be scrapped or traded anyway or you can have another used engine installed for a couple grand and be no worse off.

I don't consider the "paying your self $X to do the work" as a factor. I consider this kind of work therapeutic and enjoyable, as well as just a prudent way to stay up on the condition of my car.. My time is 'free' so to speak, when doing this.

How do your numbers work out when it's just $70 a year?

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I don't consider the "paying your self $X to do the work" as a factor. I consider this kind of work therapeutic and enjoyable, as well as just a prudent way to stay up on the condition of my car.

Funny you say that, as I was just talking about this at work this morning. I mentioned to some coworkers that I changed the oil of another coworker's car Friday night (saved her some $35). When asked why I did that, I just told them I like changing oil, and that it's therapeutic. So I totally get your statement!

There are many guys here doing extended OCIs with and without Amsoil here. There are a lot more that are going significant enough distances following their maintenance minder. It's not like BITOG is swamped with 3,000 mile changers.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by CARJ
Stop telling me how to maintain my vehicles...

Exactly. I will keep doing my 5K OCIs as it is much cheaper than an engine.

I agree. I choose not to roll the dice on any of my engines.

I've heard a ton about Amsoil, but I'm not personally interested in using it. Before I started using synthetics, I went by my owner's manual, which typically was a 3,000 to 4,000 mile OCI, using conventional oil.

I do 15,000 mile intervals on my Semi Truck, but that's it, conventional or semi-synthetic. I'm not extending my intervals, it's not within my comfort zone.

My daughters and wife's vehicles have OLMs, so I go by those and the Owners manual. It seems 7500 miles are the norm for each vehicle. All 3 vehicles get full synthetic oils.

My '97 F-250HD gets M1 HM at this time, but I'll be switching over to Kendall GT-1 full synthetic in the future, because I get it at a lower price per quart. I don't drive my pickup a lot, it only has 83,000 original miles, so I typically change it's oil every other year, which probably ends up to be every 5,000 miles. When I was regularly driving it, I used name brand conventional oils, and changed it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

I do plan on putting a little money back into my old pickup and driving it more often. Once I do, I'll use full synthetic, and do my OCIs every 5,000 miles.

Aren't typical European oil change intervals something like 2 years and 20,000 miles?

These oils would carry a Euro ACEA spec and a OEM spec. Like A3/B4 and MB 229.5, and with very low sulphur fuel C3 and MB 229.51

Typical examples would be M1 & Edge 0W40, which carry OEMs like VW 502/505, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 and Porsche A40. If I was going for distance these OEM tested and certified oils are what I would use.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by FastLane
Nuke the whales. I use M1 and change every 3000 miles.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. What a stupid waste unless you're driving one of the newer fuel diluting Honda turbos. Wow...

Who cares? It gets recycled. I'm not poor. I like changing my oil. I sleep better at night... lol

I'm happy to extend OCI as much as possible but within reason because:

1. I enjoy changing the oil BUT
2. I have no desire to do it more often than needed because
3. I have a life and there are too many other competing things going on AND
4. I've never kept a car long enough that longevity of any component other than tires and brakes was a factor.

So you know....at 10K OCI seems about right to me for both cars = two oil changes every 10-12 months and since they're on different schedules I change oil at least every 5-6 months. That's perfect!

Last edited:
Get released into the environment? It's an American tradition!
[Linked Image]

Geez, you guys are so easy to troll. Somebody that averages a single post per year for the last 10 years posts a blurb about some extended OCI and the replies are up to 7 pages on the first day.

Unless you live here where it can get up to 115 degrees with dust flying all over, and do stop and go in it, any synthetic is changed out once a year or every 7500 miles tops ONLY with a good oil filter. I grab filters that can go 10k or 15k. You know what's best for you and I know what's best for me.

Now, if I made a living driving on highways all the time, Amsoil would definitely be my choice because I would not want to be changing my oil as often. I'd do 15k.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
DI i produces soot that gets into the oil. Oil changes should be shorter for this and fuel dilution..
Oil analysis is not a good indicator of wear protection, just oil serviceability.

The soot in GDI and GDIT May soon result in particulate filtration for gasoline engines due to the particulate pollutants.

Haven't seen this show up in UOA's as insolubles on the DI engines. The UOA's from the DI engines are some of the cleanest ever. DI's might be creating a little bit of startup soot because of aggressive NOx mitigation requirements requiring fairly high levels of fueling during the startup phase to quickly heat catalytic converters up. Which is a very temporary state of affairs in the operating regime.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by pitzel

With modern DI engines, even longer intervals are quite realistic given how clean such engines burn.

DI in many instances should have more frequent oil changes, a step backwards some might say when it comes to extended OCIs. A DI engine and an engine with a carburetor would be the last types of engines I'd want to push an OCI to the limit.

And what would be the condemnation factor in the case of a DI engine?

A little bit of startup soot which is inherent to initial cold startup operation doesn't generally hit the motor oil. Or at least there's no evidence of that happening in the UOA section of this website for DI engines. The manufacturers are specifying longer-than-ever OCI intervals as well (although conspiracy theorists certainly have their beliefs as to why this happens....).

VW and Audi have been doing 10k changes with turbo DI in North America now since 2006. All the Germans really have. I think the amount of oil related failures in these things is not even really worth mentioning.

No thanks, I'll stick with M1, sure Amsoil is good but the price is a ripoff IMHO for what you get.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

With modern DI engines, even longer intervals are quite realistic given how clean such engines burn.

DI in many instances should have more frequent oil changes, a step backwards some might say when it comes to extended OCIs. A DI engine and an engine with a carburetor would be the last types of engines I'd want to push an OCI to the limit.

And what would be the condemnation factor in the case of a DI engine?

You tell me. I'd get a UOA and find out how the oil is doing in my application and my driving conditions, and not blindly follow what others are saying or doing. My UOAs told me following the blanket statement of a good synthetic oil can go 10K would have left me with spent oil in my non-DI applications, yet others can run the oil longer than that with ease. I'll take a more cautious and scientific approach when stretching the OCI. That's what I recommend to others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back