Could changing oil too often damage the engine?

Yes one paper that under moderate scrutiny has many dubious assumptions.
That "one paper" I assume you are referring to is SAE 2007-01-4133 by Ford/Conoco? That "one paper" also referenced about a dozen other previous studies (as seen in the credits at the end of the study) which it used as the foundation for their work. The concept of TCB growth and subsequent removal is NOT unique to this "one paper"; it's been covered by SAE studies multiple times and there are citations at the end of the study referencing those other works.

Further, the "dubious assumptions" you take exception to are not wholly agreed to; I for one see value in the study. The study is not flawless, but then again no SAE is. But that does not make the study worthless or unbelievable. Everything needs to be understood in context. I could point out many issues in almost any SAE study; the level of nitpicking is in the eye of the beholder. What the study shows is that longer OCIs are NOT detrimental as most believe. The effect of short OCIs wasn't really the point of the study; that was just collateral conversation, as it were.

To the OPs direct question in the thread title ...
NO! Changing oil often is not detrimental to an engine. It may be wasteful, but it's not at all harmful.

Last edited:
Can someone help me to understand exactly how one could "flood" an EFI engine much less need to clear any such event?
Malfunctions in the emissions system (stuck open solenoid valves can cause this after getting gas, pedal to the floor and they'll start right up). Leaking injectors.

In short, almost always a malfunction of some type, not really sure if it's possible due to operator error like in carb cars. Outside of too much starting fluid or pouring gas down the throttle body.

Danno (post #2) is right. You're overthinking this.

You can turn your engine over to pump oil without starting it by using the "clear flooded engine" method.
This works on all fuel injected engines.
1) Turn key to ON. This lights up the dashboard. Don't start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator all the way to the floor. This tells your vehicle's computer to shut off spark and fuel delivery.
3) Crank the engine for 2 or 3 seconds. You've built up oil pressure.
4) Release key and accelerator.
5) Start as usual.

I do this in my truck as its engine has large, oil filled timing chain tensioners which benefit from being full.
Even though cranking speed is low, it still takes no time at all to pump up some oil pressure or fill a filter.
What! Awesome. Never thought of that! Lol. I also think they're is enough oil film to protect till oil gets there but hey, I'm definitely doing this.

First of all before I start this I want to apologize if I sound dumb, my english is not very good.

Having said that, I just wanted to know about your thoughts on this topic:

Since my driving habits are about to change (i'm gonna drive repetitive short distances on a daily basis) I was thinking on readjusting the OCI.

I'm planning on changing oil every 6 months or 7.500 km (whichever occurs first).

The problem here has to do with doing 2 oil changes per year. During the oil change procedure, many people fill the new filter with oil, but in my case I cannot do this so I have to install it empty (in my car at least I can't pour oil in it, because when I try to screw the filter it drops).

The main issue is that every time we start up the engine after the oil change, the oil filter is empty and the engine works with zero oil during maybe one minute I guess, accelerating the wear and tear of the engine.

All in all, my main question is: changing oil twice a year will put the engine in this kind of adverse environment when starting up the car two times per year, is that worth it?
Short answer no. Long answer is still no.

Back