Fear of flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must have pleased the other passengers who were trying to sleep. I know I would not be happy.

Noise cancelling earbuds drown out the rabble rousers.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

As for taking meds not sure that would work with me, the last MRI I had they gave me some pills to take and it didn't help with my Claustrophobia, it was all I could do to get thru it and hold still.

You need a stronger sedative... trust me, the pharmacist has chit that'll knock you on ur a*s if that's what's needed to get you on a plane... and you can get something for the hangover effect if need be. But giving yourself a day of rest before you have to report to work is usually the best approach.

Pretty cool ur employer didn't sweat it...not many would be so forgiving

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
That must have pleased the other passengers who were trying to sleep. I know I would not be happy.

Noise cancelling earbuds drown out the rabble rousers.

Things settled down as we got into the flight. I used to play rugby in college and I met up with a couple of Brit's that had played, while watching a match in the lounge. We kinda kept drinking onto our flight. But it was a 12+hr flight from B.C. to Hong Kong so there was plenty of time for everyone to catch some zzz's.

I remember the deplaning in HK was brutal...Worst. Headache. Ever!...«

There was a pro athlete about 10-15 years ago that panicked on planes. Anybody remember who? I know John Madden didn't like flying either.

I love flying. 3 hours reclined on a plane beats 10 hours on the stress filled highways anytime.

I fly a bit. Not a fan. Shortest flight I took this year was 5 hours. The others were 8 hours and 14 hours. I found meclizine. I'll never fly without it again.

I fly because I have places to go.

As with many things, the solution is to confront your fears. And, to do so in a big way.

Flying is a wonderful thing and the airframes are incredibly strong (stronger than you) !
Note: I was on a JetBlue flight where 7 passengers were injured due to turbulence. Despite repeated calls for seatbelt use, they failed to use the belts. Even so, I had an absolute blast during the wild ride.

If you are anywhere near West Palm Beach, FL, I'll gladly take you flying and teach you the basics. It is truly wonderful.

Of course, if you do this, everything else is a "non event".

This is in our flight department, and every once in a while, I get to go up in:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
There was a novel of the very name of your thread title, but it had nothing to do with paxing on airliners.
I have no fear of flying nor does my wife or my sons, now grown.
Commercial air travel is magic in that all you need do is get yourself into your seat and a hard day's drive becomes an hour or two of travel while you sleep, read or converse.
Cheap, too.

Originally Posted by Cujet
As with many things, the solution is to confront your fears. And, to do so in a big way.

Flying is a wonderful thing and the airframes are incredibly strong (stronger than you) !
Note: I was on a JetBlue flight where 7 passengers were injured due to turbulence. Despite repeated calls for seatbelt use, they failed to use the belts. Even so, I had an absolute blast during the wild ride.

If you are anywhere near West Palm Beach, FL, I'll gladly take you flying and teach you the basics. It is truly wonderful.

Of course, if you do this, everything else is a "non event".

This is in our flight department, and every once in a while, I get to go up in:

[Linked Image]

Can I visit too?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Don't want to go down in flames, and have him grow up without a dad.

Im just scared of leaving my son without a dad. Justified or not, that's my feelings on the matter and my reality.

Yet you have a motorcycle?

Medication can help.

Good luck and flying commercial is not that bad if you can manage direct flights and understand it's not definite but 90% likely you'll get there.

Fear of flying is illogical. Flying around 5 miles up is painless, it's what happens when the plane stops flying we should be worried about.

As Ron White said, the plane will fly all the way to the scene of the crash!

I remember when we flew a few years back,the steward could tell I was a nervous wreck,so he brought me free Jack and Cokes till I fell asleep haha,I slept till we landed!

My vision was never good enough to be a pilot and family life took care of any pocket money for lessons or airplanes but I love flying. That's also why I love Svetlana Kapanina and enjoy keeping up with championship aerobatics. Cars and racing are one thing; world champion class aerobatics is a whole ‘nother ball game.

Video of the crazy Jurgis Kairys doing what he does best!

https://youtu.be/hPNKOAyROp4

Another video; Svetlana Kapanina 17 years ago but still a cool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyd_eOXDI9E&app=m&persist_app=1

Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Fear of flying? No.
Disgust at being shoveled into a plane like cattle in a livestock trailer? Yes.
It's been 4 or 5 years since I've flown commercially and if I never fly commercially again I won't regret it. Unless it's overseas, the only way I'll go is private charter.

I dont know about private charters. Seems all the people that die are the ones on a private charter plane.

And yet after several years of private charters, both my wife and I are still alive and well. Kinda blows your theory out of the water.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Don't want to go down in flames, and have him grow up without a dad.

Im just scared of leaving my son without a dad. Justified or not, that's my feelings on the matter and my reality.

Yet you have a motorcycle?

I don't hardly drive it. I do a slow speed trail ride every couple months, which is rather safe. It gets 80 mpg. I own it because I am a prepper and if the world falls to pieces I can gather food and supplies while others can't. I actually hate motorcycles and don't really have a use for them in the general sense. This is a tool of last resort.

Fear of flying? No.
It's been 4 or 5 years since I've flown commercially and if I never fly commercially again I won't regret it. Unless it's overseas, the only way I'll go is private charter.

I dont know about private charters. Seems all the people that die are the ones on a private charter plane.

And yet after several years of private charters, both my wife and I are still alive and well. Kinda blows your theory out of the water.

Technically the death rate from flying charters is probably still lower than driving a car. But it's probably higher than flying regular commercial airlines. Last fatal commercial airline crash in the US was about a decade ago. Although there have been a few passenger deaths from various accidents, the last one that comes to mind is when the passenger got sucked out of the window when an engine failed and smashed the window.

I forget the exact numbers but with a charter, you could end up with a pilot that only has 250+ hours, I think for commercial they have 2500+ hours and usually you can have pilots that have 10k+. The fewer the hours, the more likely you are to run into pilot error which I believe is usually about 80-90% of the crashes out there.

Fear of flying? No.

Common sense blows your statement out of the water.

You could also say, "I drive drunk now and then and haven't crashed, so driving drunk isn't as risky as everyone says". An equally invalid statement as yours above.

Statistics apply to groups, not individuals. So your experience, while interesting, proves nothing.

Charter operations (often part 91) are not subject to the regulation that commercial (part 135) carriers are. Charter pilots don't have to meet the training standards, rest requirements, experience, or even age requirements of the airlines, depending how the companies are set up.

They might be great*.

They might not.

Th accident statistics for charter operations suggest that they are not.

Glad it works for you, but no, charter operations are not as safe as the commercial airlines.

Further, at 10 times the price (or more) to charter a jet vs. buying a commercial ticket, your choice of travel is simply unaffordable for nearly everyone.

E.G four tickets to Saint Martin, $2,000. Charter a jet for your wife's 50th to fly to Saint Martin, $25,000. At that price point, you bet, it's a nice experience. It should be.

However, economic reality: most of us would fly commercial, and then buy a new car with the difference.

*Member CUJet works for a company that has high standards and excellent practices, he could speak to the variability in charter operations better than I could.

Not flying itself, but flying on commercial jets. I haven't flown in 10 years. My uncle is an instructor for small planes (Cessnas) and I feel safer in those, mainly because I've been with him when we glided into a field doing an engine stall test. It feels more like a car with wings. I fear the crazy people with motives, the lackluster maintenance from corporations looking to skimp to save a buck, and other things. Is it reasonable? Absolutely not, and I know this. Statistically flying is much safer than driving, but with me it is a control freak thing. 3 years ago my company sent me to a week of training in Baltimore, MD and I drove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back