API SL for 2019 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why is oil that meets Ford 913D spec and ACEA A5/B5 almost always API SL (even produced in 2019!), and that includes even Motul Eco Nergy 5w30 (which is PAO oil). Why older API spec, why not API SN? Is it bad, or good (more ZDDP perhaps?). Thanks.

API spec is about what's IN the oil, and has zero to do with when it was actually produced/bottled. If it's an SL, it's because the additive pack in it matches SL spec, and not SM or SN. SM and SN have LESS ZDDP than SL.

My wife's 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe calls for SL rated oil and the 2014 KIA calls for SM. Not sure what my 2018 Ford Fusion calls for (it's a company car, so I don't deal with the maintenance.)

Because Ford 913-D oils are required to be 5W30 and typically have elevated ZDDP levels to pass the Ford wear test for the spec.

But API require ILSAC viscosity grades like 5W30 to have a maximum Phos level to be SN. So even though a Ford 913-D oil, which is based on ACEA A5/B5 could easily pass the SN quality tests, it's "only" SL due to the extra ZDDP pushing it over the Phosphorus limits.

There is a UOA of one here
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5166893/

Typical levels would be about 1000 ppm, same as many 0W40 and 5W40 A3/B4 oils, but the 40 viscosity grade is not an ILSAC grade, so no restricted Phos limits, and so they can be labeled SN with the same ZDDP level.

BTW if I was looking for a thin oil for a petrol (gas) car, I would select a Ford 913-D oil. It starts as Euro A5/B5 then Ford push it up another notch by adding extra ZDDP to reduce wear, extra TBN for longer oil life, and more seal compatibility tests. It's definitely a full SAPS oil.

If you need 913-D or A5/B5, API specs are of secondary importance, perhaps even irrelevant. As they do not all align, why would you bother? Saying that Castrol 913-D products are API SN

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supercity
Saying that Castrol 913-D products are API SN

Yes I would like to see a VOA of that Castrol 913-D oil that is also API SN, if you look closely at the specs it's also A5/B5 (as expected) but only GF-4 (not GF-5).

I don't know for sure, but I think Castrol pulled a swifty. Every other 913-D oil I know is API SL, but Castrol is API SN with (obsolete) ILSAC GF-4. Maybe in their reading of the rules, they dropped back the ILSAC spec rather than the API spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back