2010+ Nissan Quest CVT reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will probably be upgrading from our '04 Odyssey in the next few months and are looking at options to replace it with.

High on the list is the '10+ Nissan Quest (not crazy about the rear end styling, but we can live with it)

The Nissan Quest has a CVT transmission, which I don't mind, but am concerned about reliability in a heavy vehicle. We keep our cars to 200k or more, so long term reliability is important to us. Anyone know how these CVTs hold up over time?

The Quest CVT can't be any worse than the Ody's trans
lol.gif

Castrol makes a good CVT fluid at a great price.

I would not trust it for 200k. And by the time it has over 120k a new CVT may cost as much as the van is worth.

Look at the 2015+ Kia Sedona's. Reliable and can be had cheap due to the badge on it.

I've got a 2016 Nissan Quest. Bought it used in 2017 with 32k miles on it. It's currently got 84k on it. Only issue so far was a week or so ago with a refrigerant leak on the rear HVAC that was an $1100 warranty fix.

There's been several changes to the CVT trans on the 2010-2017 quests as the years went on. Good thing about them is they are easy to do fluid maintenance on. I do it often.

We've had 4 different make/model minivans in the past 16yrs. The quest is huge on the inside and has a very quiet and comfy ride.

Drove a Quest in Las Vegas area few years ago, 6 adults with luggage, no problem. Nice ride, good power, good on fuel, but not much to look at...

The looks of it I'm okay with.. Aside from the bulky rear end, it's not terribly offensive and the interior is nice. The Toyota Sienna is the opposite for me, nice exterior but super ***** interior. I won't even consider a Honda Odyssey in those years due to the raked rear end that makes it look like a hearse. Kia Sedonas earlier than 2016 are out because of the cheap interior. Seems any minivan is a compromise of sorts, I've yet to find one that checks all the style boxes. The Chrysler T&C / VW Routan twins probably come the closest, so I'm considering those as well.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Quest CVT can't be any worse than the Ody's trans
lol.gif

Our 04 Ody trans has been solid for 200k, but the 03&04 5 speeds are purported to be much more reliable than the 99-02 4 speeds. For a transmission that has a reputation of being made of glass, it's served us well. According to service records, it's never been replaced. But I've been religious about doing pan drains and in-line filter changes every 20k since we bought it at 130k.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
The looks of it I'm okay with.. Aside from the bulky rear end, it's not terribly offensive and the interior is nice.

I'm sure you've noticed, but the interior space and roof height is huge on the 2010+ Quest compared to the rest. They do have their oddities in that the 2nd row seats are adjustable, but don't tumble or fold into the floor obviously. Even the 3rd row doesn't tumble into the 'trunk' space. The 3rd row seat backs just flop forward. Neither the 2nd or 3rd row is an issue though, because the seatbacks do fold flat and given the huge roof height, there's still a ton of room with it in 'cargo hauling mode'.

The Quest's powertrain and much of the chassis is shared with the Murano and Pathfinder. The brakes look small on them, but perform well and last as long as any other MV I've owned. Given the size and weight of these buggers, they do blow through the 16" tires quickly especially on the front.

All that being said, I wouldn't buy a Nissan product having a 200K mile trouble free goal in mind. It might work, but?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back