Emailed Quaker State and they wouldn't give me their NOACKs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Whammo
Originally Posted by kschachn
And it's "Noack", not NOACK.

Yes, I'm sure people were confused over what NOACK was referring to
smirk2.gif

Now this^^^is pretty funny, folks! Haha.

Noack is the last name of Dr. Kurt Noack, the inventor of the test. Now you know.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
I've heard it both ways.

Now that actually is pretty funny.

I've heard it both ways.

You know that's right

Yes it does seem to be another one of those values that people obsess over, but in reality doesn't mean as much as they imagine it does - at least within the limits of the specification to which it is attached.

Quite a good post here^^^^^

It's the specification that truly matters... Dexos1 Gen 2 13 % or less... MB 229.5 10% or less.... To meet those specs... That is what truly has meaning.

On a side note.... Quaker State full synthetic tested recently had a NOACK of less than 9%.

Yes it does seem to be another one of those values that people obsess over, but in reality doesn't mean as much as they imagine it does - at least within the limits of the specification to which it is attached.

Fair enough … whereas viscosity might be a more important parameter … look at these marine motor oils where the formulator does show Noack …

7B778326-142B-4377-9333-A3F54E030A54.png

As long as the oil actually meets the API specification that it says it is, it's nearly a moot point by the time you get to comparing SN+ oils. The add packs for sure (and most likely the base stocks too although there is no way outside of corporate espionage to find out) are so similar it's essentially same stuff, different jug and label.

Sure, everyone here including myself wax poetic about what our favorite oil is and why (and what makes MY favorite better than YOURS), with 99%+ realistically not having anything more than an opinion to prove it. One or two UOAs doesn't prove anything other than the oil was sufficient for your needs during that OCI.... and since there are many, many UOAs on here showing that QS/QSUD performs admirably, even more so in its price point, should ease any fears you have about using it. It meets all current API specs, VOAs show it has plenty of the good stuff, and UOAs show it stays in grade. All that for less than $4/qt in a 5qt jug, what, me worry? Nope.

Why do you think so few companies report it? In the big picture, Noack is just not a very useful test when looking at the overall performance of an engine oil. So many other factors (viscosity, TBN, film thickness, antiwear adds) are much more important, especially when you're dumping it into your daily driver that never sees sustained RPM or oil temps over 230*F. What oil would you rather have... one you never have to top up over a long OCI but does not protect against wear as well, or an oil that requires 1/2 quart every 1k yet keeps all of the moving parts protected as best as can happen?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by Whammo
I emailed them to find out the NOACK of their Synthetic Blend oils (not high mileage). They said they aren't allowed to say. Wow.

Perhaps start here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/QuakerState.htm

You did notice their tested sample was from 2011, right?
That's nigh on a decade ago...
smile.gif

Last edited:
I dont get why they cant release it, Pennzoil Gold Synblends Noack is readily avaliable on their website, both are SOPUS products?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
It's a notably variable test, that is demonstrably non-repeatable from test rig to test rig.

I suspect that, and perhaps base stock interchangeability, as the reasons to not report it overly publicly. They show one result and PQIA shows another (although they're apparently not doing it now, either) and then you have a mess. When PYB showed a much lower Noack than reported, everyone was happy. If it were reversed, but still within specs, email boxes would overflow with BITOG outrage.
wink.gif

GumbyJarvis: I'm not sure. All the companies seem to release some and withhold others. I don't think it's something pernicious, just a legacy of different people overseeing data sheets over different periods. Heck, look at what Patman mentioned. Sometimes, all it matters is who answers the email or the telephone. One person will act like you're asking for the recipe, another will be confused, and then next will hand the information out.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I dont get why they cant release it, Pennzoil Gold Synblends Noack is readily avaliable on their website, both are SOPUS products?
21.gif

Shockingly enough, if you go through the Pennzoil website, the PDS shown for Gold 5W30 is from 2011...really useful info, guys, thanks!
Stumbling through the Shell data sheet repository shows an updated one from 2019 without a Noack result....I was going to post a link to this but cannot get back into the MSDS/PDS catalog for some reason.

Originally Posted by FowVay
Noack is the last name of Dr. Kurt Noack, the inventor of the test. Now you know.

However … look how many of the formulators show it all caps …
Industry converted to not look like a person? Dunno …

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Noackcess.

Or it could be like,"Bro that oil has some righteous noackness!!" :^D

I've heard it both ways.

I sometimes see my last name typed out in all caps for some documents (like all of the legal stuff when I bought my new house for instance), so it's really not wrong to fully capitalize someone's name (although it's certainly rare)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back