2016-2017 Chevy Equinox reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am helping my parents look for a new (used) vehicle, they are probably looking to purchase within a year so we are just casually looking and weighing options at this point. We test drove a 2015 RAV4 and a 2017 Equinox today.

Wondering how reliability is on the Equinox, anything to look out for? I know they had some serious engine trouble when they first came out but I think that issue has been sorted out by now. Looking at models with the 2.4, not the V6.

Wife`s 2016 6cyl Equinox has been trouble free except for the battery dying. Changed under wty. BIL`s 2018 RAV 4 4cyl also trouble free. They get the same mileage, 21 to 24 mpg but the live in a hilly area and we in flat to rolling hills. We did get 30.4 mpg going across the top of NY state. One of my brothers has a 2017 Kia SUV that is so similar that cosmetics could be a determinant factor.

Drive a 2016 RAV4, it got mid life refresh, softened the suspension and added more sound deadening. Our 2014 RAV has been trouble free and just turned 60k. Overall mileage is just over 29 mpg.

Consumer reports rates the 2016-17 Equinox worse than average for reliability, and owner satisfaction 2/5.
The 2015 RAV4 is rated much better that average for reliability, and owner satisfaction 3/5.

First, if you want to get info on the reliability of the Equinox, go to the Equinox forum. Used to be on there quit a bit.
I know you are looking at the 2.4l and not the 3.6l but the 3.6l is a MUCH better engine and MUCH more reliable. While a 2016 2.4l is much better than a 2011 2.4l.....it is still a piece of crap engine.
The 3.6l gets just as good of gas mileage without the oil burning issues.
The transmission for the 2.4l is also a piece of crap.
The exhaust manifold on the 2.4l likes to crack too.

Go to the Equinox forum and read and ask.

If your parents like the interior of the Equinox (they are nice and comfortable), try out the 3.6l V6. More power, good gas mileage, no reliability issues.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Wife`s 2016 6cyl Equinox has been trouble free except for the battery dying. Changed under wty. BIL`s 2018 RAV 4 4cyl also trouble free. They get the same mileage, 21 to 24 mpg but the live in a hilly area and we in flat to rolling hills. We did get 30.4 mpg going across the top of NY state. One of my brothers has a 2017 Kia SUV that is so similar that cosmetics could be a determinant factor.

Note: dinoburner has the 3.6l V6. Trouble free and really good gas mileage.
Your parents would do well with any of the above....just stay away from the 2.4l version of the Equinox.

Hopefully the 2016s have improved the 2.4, wife has a 2013 Equinox and it's not a good engine. Having oil consumption right now (about 1 quart in 1000 miles) because the PCV orifice is clogged. It's a known problem. In extreme cases they are known to clog the vent tube with ice in winter, and it blows the rear crank seal so you have a major oil leak. Both of the cam phaser solenoids failed, another known problem. At least the new ones are redesigned and they are easy to replace.

As for the rest of the vehicle, the bottoms of the front doors started rusting when it was 3 years old. Seems the crimps for the outer door panel aren't done very well, they trap moisture and rust. Hers were repainted under warranty, but they are rusting again.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Hopefully the 2016s have improved the 2.4, wife has a 2013 Equinox and it's not a good engine. Having oil consumption right now (about 1 quart in 1000 miles) because the PCV orifice is clogged. It's a known problem. In extreme cases they are known to clog the vent tube with ice in winter, and it blows the rear crank seal so you have a major oil leak. Both of the cam phaser solenoids failed, another known problem. At least the new ones are redesigned and they are easy to replace.

As for the rest of the vehicle, the bottoms of the front doors started rusting when it was 3 years old. Seems the crimps for the outer door panel aren't done very well, they trap moisture and rust. Hers were repainted under warranty, but they are rusting again.

Thanks for reminding me about the door rust, tge pvc freezing and blowing out the crank case, and lets not forget the timing chain issues.
Dumped mine a year ago.

My wife has a 2014 Equinox V6 (that we bought used) and it now has 57,000 miles and zero issues. I have a 2016 Equinox V6 with 31,000 miles and not a single issue. For us it was the right size. Not too big and not too small. V6 has good power and we find it to be a comfortable vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back