Oil filter flow and filteration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sight got me thinking how bad purolator ones are but the bosch I opened was put together good. Filter media tightly sealed, all sealed with a rubber gook.
Same as a purolator 1

Last edited:
These things are punched in a manner that it becomes 3D and the angle of interrogation while still in the filter does not work out. I ruined a small Mobil 1 filter long ago … it looked closed until dissected …

2BFCADF8-F9EE-4570-AE93-4DA7F24B39D1.jpeg

6D44D810-BF7A-4367-B70F-B59D04B83DFF.jpeg

It's pretty easy to see down in the center tube with a good light if the louvers are bad or good. Here's a few examples.

When you can easily see the media behind the open louvers then they are formed pretty good.

BAD Louvers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GOOD Louvers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They must have bad quality control letting filter slip by like the first 2.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Easy ? Depending on which way they face

From a logical design standpoint, the open hole of the louver should always face the base plate, because that is the normal direction of flow back to the engine. While it is certainly possible to point the holes the other direction, it makes no sense to do so. Hence, one should be able to ascertain the nature of the "open-ness" by looking down the tube.

Last edited:
'Ime' and observation louvers are punched/opened/facing in two directions half facing dome end and half facing thread end. Thus half the openings may not 'always' be ascertained merely by looking down the centertube. Also ime, while looking down the centertube may give a decent view of the opening, it may not 'always' be a true indication of opening. Last filter I cut open, a PL14612 didn't look particularly open from looking down the centertube. However after dissection, it was clear plenty of opening. Also why with future dissections of louvered filters I'll try to do a light test pic to show openings like one below. Imo, gives an excellent indication of the functional louvers openings.

Apparently the majority filter manufacturers see their own "logic" in having the openings in two direction.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sayjac
'Ime' and observation louvers are punched/opened/facing in two directions half facing dome end and half facing thread end. Thus half the openings may not 'always' be ascertained merely by looking down the centertube. Also ime, while looking down the centertube may give a decent view of the opening, it may not 'always' be a true indication of opening. Last filter I cut open, a PL14612 didn't look particularly open from looking down the centertube. However after dissection, it was clear plenty of opening. Also why with future dissections of louvered filters I'll try to do a light test pic to show openings like one below. Imo, gives an excellent indication of the functional louvers openings.

Apparently the majority filter manufacturers see their own "logic" in having the openings in two direction.

[Linked Image]

I like your light test method too.

I have done it but have not photographed it.

Thanks!!!

I wonder if the engineers were trying to reduce flow turbulence or whatever the correct terminology is by having the louvers open in opposite directions?

The photos of the louvers show rough edges, if magnified I'm sure it looks much worse. That is a source of steel particles being shed and introduced directly into the main oil gallery IMO. We start the engine and go, oblivious.

I agree rough edges.
I'm guessing this is the thought process behind going to a plastic cage core like on e core and a few others

Rough edges on metal formed parts doesn't mean pieces of metal are going to break off or shed - it's just a rough edge. Metal center tubes have been made for decades with punched out holes or lately formed louvers. I highly doubt any metal particles are tearing off those metal edges and hurting motors. Nobody knows the exact manufacturing process, and it could be those parts are washed/cleaned before being assembled.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
'Ime' and observation louvers are punched/opened/facing in two directions half facing dome end and half facing thread end. Thus half the openings may not 'always' be ascertained merely by looking down the centertube.

Yep, every louvered center tube I've looked at has louvers pointing in both directions. IMO, if the openings facing the base are seen to be formed well, then it's pretty much a given the ones facing the dome end will be formed the same. If you can see the media through the louvers while looking through the base end, then I'd say all is well. If they look almost closed up like shown in the photos, don't use it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Rough edges on metal formed parts doesn't mean pieces of metal are going to break off or shed - it's just a rough edge. Metal center tubes have been made for decades with punched out holes or lately formed louvers. I highly doubt any metal particles are tearing off those metal edges and hurting motors. Nobody knows the exact manufacturing process, and it could be those parts are washed/cleaned before being assembled.

Actually rough edges, and these are actually torn apart rather than cut, do present the possibility of steel particles entering the oil stream to the main bearings. Not going back and forth on it.

Yeah … the old style punched tube (flat stock) made donut holes … this is just a shear and fold … think the flow regime is not that wild …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back