used truck shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at used trucks-- gas no diesels. i know most brands have their issues but which ones should i avoid like the plague? i like the tundras but read a lot about the air pump/valve failures. so kinda wondering what y'all's thoughts are on the following 2008-2015-ish trucks:

tundra---5.7 vs 4.6 or avoid altogether due to difficult jobs that should be basic--like replacing a starter

ram 1500 5.7 vs 4.7.... had a durango w a 4.7 no problems except bad tps and broken exhaust manifold bolts

chevy silverado 5.3

ford 5.0

i can't decide and would appreciate any info-- won't be doing any heavy towing or anything--just need a truck to carry stuff that won't fit in a car --like 2x4's, home improvement stuff, home depot trips etc and wife & daughter would drive to work and school

5.7 Hemi's also suffer from the broken exhaust manifold stud problem. Some 2009+ models are also known to eat a cam/lifter once they start getting up there in miles, while others don't have any issues. If you're looking at Ram's, I highly suggest the 8 speed transmission. It is light years better than the 65RE

Given the relatively light towing needs it sounds like the truck will encounter, the 3.6L Pentastar engine in the Ram trucks should be added to the list of possibilities. It's really quite a good little engine that only falls short of the larger Hemis when it comes to raw stump-pulling torque. But if you're not going to be pulling any stumps...

I like the 5.0 Ford but that's because I own one.
lol.gif

Tundra with a 5.7 would be my vote.

Make sure there's no rust on the frame, which probably won't be an issue in Texas...

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Laramie. Now has 209K with no issues. Put new Falken 20" on it and they show no wear after 20K. Motor uses no oil. Only repair I had was new shocks an ABS sensor and the electric fan for the AC radiator. It tows our 5th wheel trailer and anything else that we need it for. Has the MDS on it and is getting 20-21MPG on the highway. It's a crew cab and we haul people in the back. I bought it with 182K not really knowing history except the man I bought it from had a buddy at the local dealer and he told me that is where he had it serviced and they had just re-flashed it. Needed no frontend parts when I took it in for alignment when I bought the new tires. Wife and I both love it and the way it rides. Also the XM radio is nice for long trips. WE also have a 1990 Ranger XLT wit 80K original miles. It rides like a truck and only is getting 1-2 more miles/gal.
The Ford 5.0 is supposed to be a very good truck as well as the Chevy 5.3. I was like you and looking for one of those too, but the Ram popped up for sale and the price was right. We have not been sorry..

Well in an apples to apples comparison the Tundra will hold its value more than the others. So if all the same price then pick the Tundra.

However the tundra has a Timing belt.. so theres that added expense.

Also you said u will be using it mainly for small home improvement projects.. not towing. So unless you just want the large truck feel... a small SUV with a trailer will haul more cargo. A Colorado or Tacoma will do all that you need and be more fuel efficient.

Originally Posted by joel95ex
looking at used trucks-- gas no diesels. i know most brands have their issues but which ones should i avoid like the plague? i like the tundras but read a lot about the air pump/valve failures. so kinda wondering what y'all's thoughts are on the following 2008-2015-ish trucks:

tundra---5.7 vs 4.6 or avoid altogether due to difficult jobs that should be basic--like replacing a starter

ram 1500 5.7 vs 4.7.... had a durango w a 4.7 no problems except bad tps and broken exhaust manifold bolts

chevy silverado 5.3

ford 5.0

i can't decide and would appreciate any info-- won't be doing any heavy towing or anything--just need a truck to carry stuff that won't fit in a car --like 2x4's, home improvement stuff, home depot trips etc and wife & daughter would drive to work and school

just need a truck to carry stuff that won't fit in a car --like 2x4's, home improvement stuff, home depot trips etc and wife & daughter would drive to work and school

Oh just admit you WANT a big truck to look cool in. You don't don't NEED one to do those things. With the seats folded, even my Jetta hauls 2x4's just fine.

[Linked Image]

If you must have a bed, maybe a Honda Ridgeline.

Totoyta Tundra is probably the more reliable, but you'll probably pay a premium for that up front.

I own a 2018 Silverado, I can tell you exactly what the issues are with the 2008-2018 Silverados are. They went to displacement on demand in 2008 I believe, and they have issues with oil concumption and collapsed lifters...big job, heads have to come off. The 2014-2018 still have it but they've added direct injection and made some changes to the engine. It drives nice.

The Silverado has the "Chevy shake". A vibration at 70 mph, it's usually from the rear springs. I don't find it to be bad.

They have AC condenser failure. They have transmission failure issues (hit or mis). It's the torque converter - usually because when it goes into V4 mode it causes a lot of shifting from one gear to the next - which causes wear/heat buildup. I haven't experienced any issues yet (33,000 miles).

Paint is something to watch out for, especially in their white (paint chips). Frame wax on the Chevy's is junk, it flakes off easily.

Every manufacturer has issues. Dodge has some issues with their cylinder displacement too...camshafts. The exhaust manifolds are another issue...along with electrical problems.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Well in an apples to apples comparison the Tundra will hold its value more than the others. So if all the same price then pick the Tundra.

However the tundra has a Timing belt.. so theres that added expense.

Also you said u will be using it mainly for small home improvement projects.. not towing. So unless you just want the large truck feel... a small SUV with a trailer will haul more cargo. A Colorado or Tacoma will do all that you need and be more fuel efficient.

Only the 4.7 had a timing belt. 4.0, 4.6 and 5.7 are all chain.

In the 2nd gen (not the 2.5 or 3rd gen that is currently sold) I recall problems with cam tower oil leaks, water pumps, front diffs and power steering racks. Not the same problem for all years but some research might serve well on those items. Rust of course. And air pumps, although last time I looked I think prices may finally be coming down to "reasonable".

Few observations about mine:
-can't turn off seatbelt chime. It can be reduced but it will chime 5 times. Annoying. [And I wear my seatbelt religiously but I hate the chime.]
-bit huge!
-the 4.6 really needs the tow package. The tow package comes with 4.10:1 gearing (the 5.7 always has 4.3:1's). I think most would find 4.6/4.10:1 "underpowered" as it will downshift for every hill. I pretty much lock out 6th gear if I won't go past 60mph as it's constantly shifting otherwise.
-mpg pretty much sucks... right now with stock sized Hankook ATM's and a cap on the back I'm getting 19mpg at 70mph with almost exclusive highway miles.
-typical sealed transmission malarky. It's not impossible to do, just the malarky of being sealed.
-have to drop the front skidplate to remove the oil filter. I don't mind the cartridge filter but some do hate the setup.
-Not sure what Toyota was thinking when they went from 6 lug to 5. Be warned: the steel wheels need 150ft-lb to torque! I can just hit that with the typical 3/4 clicker bar.
-maybe they fixed cruise control but mine will hunt like mad on the highway (probably because underpowered).
-if you change a front tire by lifting from the frame... get a jack with a really large amount of lift range. You're going to need it. I resort to using a 4T bottle jack to raise it a couple inches, then follow up with a 12T bottle for the rest of the way, just because of how high.
-Ignore any old threads online about transmission fluid temperatures. Aisin's never seem to have been phased by hot oil. It'll be unsettling if you are used to old school ATF temperature recommendations; mine runs at 190F doing nothing but going up and down the highway. I've seen 230 and I'm sure others have, and Tundra transmission failures are kinda rare.
-no rear locker option. I have not been impressed with the TC pulling brake lines. But last winter I experimented with just goosing the throttle (instead of letting off when I hear it kick in) and that seems to be working... still not impressed.
-speaking of which, VSC is pretty intrusive on snow. As soon as some wheelslip is noticed it will cut power. In Texas this is probably a non-issue, but up in the north I find snow tires an absolute must with this vehicle.
-I also am bugged by the part time 4 wheel drive system, but that has to do with the lock to lock turning I have to do in my driveway. YMMV. It's great in snow, in 4WD, with snow tires--just don't turn.
-maybe the new ones have it fixed but my TPMS is just a stupid light. It doesn't tell me what wheel is low.
-But, if you go on Ebay, you can get pirated Techstream software very cheaply for diagnosing vehicle problems.

These days I'm thinking of stepping down to the Taco, but reviews have said the Taco has you sitting on the floor. Dunno. Used to be the Taco didn't deliver much better mpg than a Tundra. Smaller footprint, about the same cost.

Hard to beat a trailer that you can beat on then put away wet. I've used my 4x8 HF trailer a number of times as I didn't want to deal with the high bed height.

For an all around vehicle it may be hard to beat a Caravan...

Originally Posted by atikovi
just need a truck to carry stuff that won't fit in a car --like 2x4's, home improvement stuff, home depot trips etc and wife & daughter would drive to work and school

Oh just admit you WANT a big truck to look cool in. You don't don't NEED one to do those things. With the seats folded, even my Jetta hauls 2x4's just fine.

Yeah, most trucks have short beds which make hauling long stuff hard. You can get those pipes that go into the trailer hitch and support long 2x4's, although 4x8 sheets will sit happily on the tailgate.

I know for myself a Tundra worked better with family, more space (and we're normal sized). I don't have the crewmax and as such it feels smaller than my wife's '11 Camry. On the inside. On the outside... parking is definitely a pain.

I thought about Caravan back then but had high hopes of a travel trailer. Once you get past a couple thousand pounds and then add in wind drag most FWD are out of the running. Cut wind drag or keep weight low though and it's possible.

Is nice to drive on 6" of packing snow and not be phased. Prior cars would have been high ended long before that.

One downside to the Ridgeline is that Honda doesn't think you're capable of selecting a gear. AFAIK you cannot put the transmission into 1st and have it hold in that gear and not shift out of. I've done that a few times on grassy downslopes, or in the yard, as there was no need to shift, I'm going to go slow, or I want engine braking.

Older Ridgelines did have problems with ATF cooler failing and mixing coolant with the ATF. Not sure on failure rate but it did occur. Older ones also just didn't eek out much better mpg. In the end bad aerodynamics require a certain level of horsepower to move.

And it was (still is?) a timing belt motor.

Still a pretty cool vehicle. It fits the need of some buyers quite well--I don't want to go down the usual truck wars path here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

we considered another SUV, but i forgot to mention that kids are doing livestock shows and also two of the home improvement projects are replacing a patio door and front door--i don't have a place to store a trailer nor do i want to buy/rent one for larger items - lol but yes i've hauled lots of things in my car with the back seat down lol

Kinda depends on your budget.
I have an 01 Tundra with 200K that is perfect.
Most older trucks will be beat.

Maybe a new base model?
Good luck.

The GMT800 platform is a pretty good choice if you wanted to go back that far. 1999-2006

I have 189k on my 2002 and the only issue has been to rebuild the alternator and a few gasket replacements because I hate oil leaks.

Are broken exhaust manifold bolts and rotted/cracked exhaust manifolds not normal? Every pickup truck here (except Ridgeline, yay sideways engines) will have that happen.

A different option. Last year I bought a used 2017 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4 wheel drive with the 4.0 6 and so far have been happy with it.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Tundra with a 5.7 would be my vote.

Make sure there's no rust on the frame, which probably won't be an issue in Texas...

Just expect horrible gas mileage < 14 mpg. Otherwise fine truck.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Are broken exhaust manifold bolts and rotted/cracked exhaust manifolds not normal? Every pickup truck here (except Ridgeline, yay sideways engines) will have that happen.

Yeah, what is up with that? I know working trucks make heat and will break exhaust manifolds, but studs? I don't get that. [I know it's all about heat cycles but I don't recall that being a problem in the past... maybe it was and it was before the internet?]

I don't think that is a Tundra problem though...? at least I haven't heard of it (they have their own set of problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back