Gotta love Youtube repair videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have helped me immensely to have the courage to try repairs and figure out what was wrong.

Yesterday I fixed my gas dryer by replacing the gas valve selenoids. What a quick and easy repair.

Last edited:
I use it regularly! I think its fantastic...things ive done that I otherwise wouldnt have;
Inground pool repairs
Spa repairs
Auto body work
Mechanical automotive repairs
The list goes on...
Dishwasher repairs
Stove repairs
Fridge repairs

Last edited:
July 4. I wake up to no hot water. Uh oh. House full of guests too. No showers today. Who's open? Asked Google to look up what big box store will be making their employees work on the 4th? Ok, I can get a new water heater today. Happy for me, bummed for the people not home with family. Anyway go to youtube and look up my problem. Oh look this is a common problem with tanks that have the same controller I do. Oh look lots of videos on how to reset the controler. Watch a bunch. Most of these were of guys talking too much.==== talking some more, and more. Finally! I find a video where the guys says in simple terms how to reset the controler from being in overheat mode and shutting the heater down. Simple fix. BOOM. I have hot water without having to spend money. Sorry about all you people made to work on the 4th at the box stores.

I have found yt videos to be an invaluable resource for working on many things including automotive and house related. Installed a new dishwasher latch with the help of a vid. I've kept an old Poulan weedeater running by replacing the fuel lines and filter in it. And check youtubes for all types of vehicle maintenance, from simple to more difficult. I agree some yt wayyy too chatty, but can generally fast forward to important parts. Being more of a visual learner, like being able to see the process involved as opposed to reading it.

OP, job well done.
Yes, YT is great for learning how to be self-sufficient.
It reminds me of the old family farms (100 years ago) where the farmer did everything himself - to support his family.

I don't feel bad for the professional repair-men not having as much work (= less pay).
They can go home and do all the various home projects to save money also.

I installed a Transfer Switch for my generator from a video made by the Manufacturer.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's better than ever to find info on how to fix stuff. Sure, it's possible to find hacks and outright wrong info; but if one clicks on a bunch of links they can often sort out the wheat from chaff.

Still. Not sure how many people are into DIY. I wonder if some of the DIY videos are done by pro's who wouldn't mind handing off the more simple work altogether. And by showing how bad a job can be, might be gaining business from people who can see just how hard the job really is--they might get less complaints because a well informed customer is a good customer (at least sometimes).

In my opinion it has created an entire generation that can't think for themselves. Instead they have to run to the computer and be shown how to do something rather than think it through and actually learn.

I have an LPG oven in Indonesia. Getting help from dealer is about nothing, so I looked up on Electrolux ovens not staying lit thinking It'd need some new valves, thermocouples, etc.

Turns out that the hole to see the thermocouple is there becuase you have to scratch it nearly everytime you want it to stay lit.

Wife has a handy fork to scratch, and is self reliant again.

Some gent in England mentioned a fix for similar oven.

Same oven needed a burner that had melted. Couldn't find part numbers anywhere since oven was one of those gray market dumps.

Googled Electrolux burner, and found a pic that looked like it, and ordered from Amazon.....Shipped from England.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
In my opinion it has created an entire generation that can't think for themselves. Instead they have to run to the computer and be shown how to do something rather than think it through and actually learn.

That's basically how most mechanics and technicians learned their crafts.....by reading how to do it and/or having a classroom setting walking them through the troubleshooting and repair. An apprenticeship in a trade was what basically built most industrialized countries the past 100-200 yrs. You can't learn to think on your own until you know the theory behind the device and hands on experience with a master craftsman/tradesman. Most don't figure ALL that stuff out on their own....unless their name was Einstein, Newton, Gauss, DaVinci, and others.

Running to a computer....or reading a book or manual.........IS learning.

Last edited:
2006 DODGE CARAVN 3.8 WATER PUMP - RIGHT UP AGAINST THE FRAME.

Scratched head a long time - then thought "maybe a youtube video will show how..."

Yup - block of wood under oil pan, put pressure on with a jack.

Pull these trans/motor mount bolts, lower engine with jack under oil pan.

Star to finish in less than an hour!!

What's a shop charge to do the same job?? $800?

Originally Posted by 69GTX

That's basically how most mechanics and technicians learned their crafts.....by reading how to do it and/or having a classroom setting walking them through the troubleshooting and repair. An apprenticeship in a trade was what basically built most industrialized countries the past 100-200 yrs. You can't learn to think on your own until you know the theory behind the device and hands on experience with a master craftsman/tradesman. Most don't figure ALL that stuff out on their own....unless their name was Einstein, Newton, Gauss, DaVinci, and others.

Well said. Whether by books or videos or classroom instruction with hands on or by the side of an experienced mechanic it is all the same - learning HOW to do it and minimizing expensive mistakes. This can be for pros or DIY guys/girls and it is FUN. The challenge of figuring out what is wrong and fixing it is awesome.

That's like saying going to school is the lazy way to learn.

Did you write your own operating system, eh?
grin.gif

My most memorable YT repair was how to wire an old top load washer motor to run on a single (fast) speed when the lower speeds failed. Held us over for a few days until the new washer arrived from Costco.

What YT doesn't convey too well is technique, like how much torque to apply to a fitting. That is something you have to learn/develop on your own. The good thing about YT is the comments can be self correcting when someone plum gives totally bad advice

https://youtu.be/CYOTd3ZjCQU

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Originally Posted by 69GTX

Well said. Whether by books or videos or classroom instruction with hands on or by the side of an experienced mechanic it is all the same - learning HOW to do it and minimizing expensive mistakes. This can be for pros or DIY guys/girls and it is FUN. The challenge of figuring out what is wrong and fixing it is awesome.

I don't disagree in the slightest, but, it can be a bit disheartening when you're at the doctor's office, describing symptoms, and you can plainly see him googling what you're telling him....(speaking from personal experience here)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back