2019 Chevy Traverse 3.6L 3LT

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have been a Mobil 1 fan for the past 30 years which good success and longevity on all my vehicles. Is there a big difference for the non-severe driver between
Mobil 1 5W-30 Syn and GM Dexos 5W-30 which now claims is full synthetic.

When I bring in for my OC and Tire Rote, seems Dexos is slightly cheaper.....

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Tony

With one of those engines, I'd stick to short OCIs and keep ALL receipts for the required Dexos spec oil. They have a habit of eating timing chains and it's not a cheap fix. Anything you can do to make suer GM honors the warranty is definitely recommended

Originally Posted by Miller88
With one of those engines, I'd stick to short OCIs and keep ALL receipts for the required Dexos spec oil. They have a habit of eating timing chains and it's not a cheap fix. Anything you can do to make suer GM honors the warranty is definitely recommended

Excellent advice - don't do anything that will void your warranty with GM on this, or any engine. I personally know GM techs with new vehicles that won't change the oil themselves until it's out of warranty, out of fear they'll void their warranty (because they've seen GM do it).

Miller88 said:
With one of those engines, I'd stick to short OCIs and keep ALL receipts for the required Dexos spec oil. They have a habit of eating timing chains and it's not a cheap fix.

3.6 engines produced after 2012 do not have the timing chain issues that the older 3.6s have.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Miller88 said:
With one of those engines, I'd stick to short OCIs and keep ALL receipts for the required Dexos spec oil. They have a habit of eating timing chains and it's not a cheap fix.

3.6 engines produced after 2012 do not have the timing chain issues that the older 3.6s have.

Not to mention that the traverse finally received the latest 3.6 which shares almost nothing in common with the previous 3.6's which had chain issues before 2012. The new 3.6 has two timing chains rather than 3 FYI.

Why not? Because you generally get what you pay for in life.
......and Walmart pays it's own advertising dollars for it's privately-owned brand names.
So don't go that route please.

For a couple dollars more and our 30K+ vehicles are worth it, one can buy Quaker State and Castrol Magnatec.
Yes, your vehicle is worth another $2-$4.. If it could, it would thank you..

GM does contracts for the oil … but just as an example when XOM had it … the GM Synthetic was entry level Mobil Super … if that was the bulk price point … I have no reason to think they did anymore with another supplier

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Why not? Because you generally get what you pay for in life.
......and Walmart pays it's own advertising dollars for it's privately-owned brand names.
So don't go that route please.

For a couple dollars more and our 30K+ vehicles are worth it, one can buy Quaker State and Castrol Magnatec.
Yes, your vehicle is worth another $2-$4.. If it could, it would thank you..

We are comparing GM oil vs Mobil1. Where did WalMart come in? Marketing has worked well for you. Take your blue pill.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Originally Posted by Miller88

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that one. I have a good friend who works at GM and is replacing timing chains on 3.6s that are only two years old.

The better GM 3.6 v-6 engines started with the LFX series. Using The year 2012 wont tell the whole story because the LLT V-6 ran in some models up until 2017. A quick search will tell you which version you have. Also the Traverse does NOT have the LATEST version. It uses the LFX, the LGX is the newest variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back