They say I need a camber kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Chrysler Pacifica FWD.

Following some front and rear end suspension work earlier this year and new tires yesterday, I took the wife's car in for the alignment today. The Goodyear shop got 3 of 4 wheels in spec but says the front driver's side needs a camber kit, and they want $150 to do it. (Parts are $40.) Naturally, I don't want to pay that if I can do it myself and learn something in the process.

I've never done before but it looks easy enough. Any guidance? Right now I'm trying to figure out just how many bolts I need to order and where exactly they go.

Thanks a lot.

I had Big O tire in my area do this to my Montero as it was eating the inside rear tires. I don't think it is that hard but let them do it as I never did it before. It really did work as tires are not getting eaten up anymore.

Did you replace the front struts? The factory struts were "preset" at the factory, and had no adjustment. Aftermarket struts have a slotted bottom mounting hole and allow LOTS of adjustment.

You shouldn't need a camber kit, in this situation. Do you happen to have the specs that the shop gave you, out of curiosity?

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
2007 Chrysler Pacifica FWD.

Following some front and rear end suspension work earlier this year and new tires yesterday, I took the wife's car in for the alignment today. The Goodyear shop got 3 of 4 wheels in spec but says the front driver's side needs a camber kit, and they want $150 to do it. (Parts are $40.) Naturally, I don't want to pay that if I can do it myself and learn something in the process.

I've never done before but it looks easy enough. Any guidance? Right now I'm trying to figure out just how many bolts I need to order and where exactly they go.

Thanks a lot.

Front is no problem at all a camber bolt will take care of that in a few minutes, the lower bolt hole on the struts you used appear to be elongated already, did they loosen them and try to adjust it? Sorry but to me it sounds like they were trying to give you a hosing.
The rear is also adjustable with eccentric bushings, a bit more difficult but doable for the DIY.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
14 Accent: Yep, I did these Gabriel full assemblies. The shop didn't give me any specs, except to say 3 were in and 1 isn't.

https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G57113-ReadyMount-Complete-Assembly/dp/B00KYB8TGC

No camber kit necessary, then. I'm sure you noticed that the factory lower strut bolts are serrated? That's to lock in the position of the strut in relation to the knuckle when you tighten the nut. To adjust camber, just loosen both nuts, knock the bolts back until they're past the serrations, and tilt the knuckle in or out.

If I have one of these on the rack, I adjust them one of two ways:

Excessive positive camber: with the weight of the vehicle on the plates, I loosen both strut to knuckle bolts JUST until I start to see the camber value fall. Sometimes, the bolts need a little shot from an air hammer to loosen up. The weight of the vehicle naturally causes the camber to decrease. I zip the nuts tight quickly once the desired angle is reached.

Excessive negative camber: Repeat above, except with the front wheels hanging free. The knuckle and strut will naturally tilt outwards when the bolts are loosened. Tighten when the desired value is reached.

I tend to avoid camber kits whenever possible, because all they do is replace a nice beefy knuckle bolt with a teeny little "cam" bolt that's 1/2 the diameter to allow adjustment. \

If you want to adjust yourself at home, or at least eyeball, do this: park the vehicle on a level surface and stand a straight-edge on end with the bottom on the pavement, touching the tire. Look down the length of the vehicle and compare how far the driver's and passenger's tires are tilted inwards, at the top of the wheel. You want just a hint of tilt at the top, not too much not too little. Try to even the sides out and bring it back for another go.

It wouldn't shock me if they were trying to hose me. Part of me wanting to do this on my own - if it really is necessary - is to show up and just have them finish the alignment. If they aren't being honest, I'd love to call them on their bullspit.

most camber kits are under $40, just eccentric bolts with locking nuts....
what did they sell for $150??
EDIT: sorry, I see ''$40" for hardware. Nevrmind.

Last edited:
They want an hour labor for $110 to do the install. Parts, labor and taxes would actually be $160.

Thanks for your obviously informed thoughts, Trav and 14Accent. Much appreciated. Still not quite sure what I will do.

First thing might be to call and ask why they think the adjustments on the strut won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back