6000 miles too long for PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by flinter
Hi,

With my 2017 Elantra Value Edition with 27,000 miles, is 6000 miles a bit to long to go on Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 if I am doing a lot of short trips? Just wondering. I am planing on doing oil change next with and this time using Quaker State UD 5W-20?

Thanks

I planned-out 5K OCIs and I'm using all the name-brands and 5w30 instead of 5w20 year-round. We also do a majority of city driving.

A UOA will not tell the OP if his valves and pistons are slowly gunking-up. More OCIs are better for this vehicle brand and engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hi,

With my 2017 Elantra Value Edition with 27,000 miles, is 6000 miles a bit to long to go on Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 if I am doing a lot of short trips? Just wondering. I am planing on doing oil change next with and this time using Quaker State UD 5W-20?

Thanks

I planned-out 5K OCIs and I'm using all the name-brands and 5w30 instead of 5w20 year-round. We also do a majority of city driving.

A UOA will not tell the OP if his valves and pistons are slowly gunking-up. More OCIs are better for this vehicle brand and engine.

A $15 USB bore scope camera will tell you if your pistons are being gunked-up. The fix for that is daily Italian tune-ups.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The OP's fuel dilution % is unknown but anything above 2.5% is going to reduce the oils ability (by altering the chemistry) to fight sludge, right?? Fuel dilution is also going to effect flash point and film strength. A UOA seems like a good way to get some raw data on how things are going inside the engine during all these short trips and he can go from there.

Last edited:
Hyundai / Kia like 3,700 miles = severe service while 7,500 miles = normal service . For mixed suburban driving I find my Elantra does well with 5,000 mile OCI's using a 5W20 or 5W30 synthetic oil .
Hi,

Thanks

+1 ...
Originally Posted by SteveG4
I would change all modern DI engine oils at 3000 to 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back