Alkaline batteries leaking

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I've seen plenty of leaked Duracells in my life, more than any other brand.

I've had good luck with Rayovac in the past, but now that Energizer acquired them, I don't know what that means for their quality.

Funny you should mention that, just went through a bunch of AAA rayovac's. They had a 2024 expiration date, got them a few years back when Home Depot had a sale on AA/AAA packs. Don't have much use for AAA aside from remotes and those last a few years. I noticed the package had a few that were leaking so I went through them with a meter, a bunch of them were in the under half a volt with a few more at under 1 volt. I threw those away, probably about 10 of them.

I've learned to take batteries out of devices that rarely get used. Has anyone ever seen a 9 volt battery leak? I don't recall ever seeing one leak.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I've learned to take batteries out of devices that rarely get used. Has anyone ever seen a 9 volt battery leak? I don't recall ever seeing one leak.

If you ever open one up, you'll see a set of six smaller cells wrapped inside on a 9v. I think if those leak, the case would hold it in. On the other hand, AA or AAA batteries, there is no case.

Doesnt matter brand almost all alkaline batteries will leak at 1 volt or under.

Solution would be standard or lithium batteries im pretty sure..
All I know in some of the wireless sensors that our industry uses (more so the old ones I think) Leaking run down alkaline batteries is pretty common and not any one brand.

If you have a lightly used remote control for, such as a TV or audio component. I prefer to use simple cheap carbon batteries contrary to my past thinking decades ago. They will just go dead, not leak like the alkaline .

Last edited:
you would be surprised how many items can be adapted to use an 18650.
some 3aaa flashlights can use one with nothing more than rolled up cardboard as a spacer.
i even use 3d printed adapters.
my 1898 eveready has an adapter with 2 18650 inside.
highly unlikely to leak.
i would have to call in an air strike on that bunny if an alkaleaker damaged that one!
alkaleaks are a waste of equipment and money!

After all these years I thought it was just me with the duracell batteries leaking! Anymore I just toss them if they come with a device. For the last 10 years we have been using Walgreen alkaline with no leakage problems.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I have started to do this.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I stick with Procells…. reasonably priced and no issues.

Where can one buy PROCELLS?

You can get them online, Amazon and elsewhere. I used to buy them, but there's no evidence they are structurally any different than other Duracell batteries except for the label so I quit going through the effort to buy them. These days I just buy Energizer lithium at Sam's club or the AmazonBasics ones.

FYI, Lowe's currently has the 60-pack Rayovac AA on sale for $10.99. Deal expires tomorrow.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rayovac-High-Energy-Alkaline-AA-Batteries-60-Pack/1000059977

I did a quick discharge test some time ago. The Rayovac actually had more capacity than standard Energizer and Duracell Procell.

[Linked Image]

Just discovered Rayovac AAA batteries leaking in my Bose noise-cancelling headphones. That's it. For the first time ever, I am attempting to claim warranty. As per the terms: RAYOVAC® Batteries are designed to prevent damaging leaks. RAYOVAC® will repair, replace or refund, at our option, any device damaged by RAYOVAC® Batteries* as long as the batteries and device have not expired, been misused or modified.

They asked to provide photos of the batteries with expiration date and country of manufacture showing, and also photos of device showing brand, model and battery door, along with a statement of how frequently the device was used.

I suspect they will make the claim process so difficult that it won't be worth doing, we'll see. I switched to Rayovac after having horrendous experience with Duracell which leaked less than 1 year after purchase. Going forward I will try to use only rechargeable batteries. Only downside is they self-drain with time, even Eneloops.

Rayovac2.jpg
Rayovac5.jpg

Batteries leak too often, so unless I'm using something on a regular basis (like a TV remote, flashlight, etc), the batteries come out and go back in the next time the device needs to be used.

Duracells are a disaster as far as leaking. It defies logic, how can it be? Premium priced battery.
Limited low draw applications in some security sensors are even worse. Duracells will leak and destroy the device before the device signals a low battery.
I don't get it except I never use them anymore. Not sure the reason but with that kind of performance I have been buying any generic brand, lowest cost wins and never have a problem. Costco and Sam's Club are not lowest cost. Im talking dollar store alkaline, Harbor Freight ect. Low cost wins.

(ugh, 3 year old thread but still relevant)

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Just discovered Rayovac AAA batteries leaking in my Bose noise-cancelling headphones. That's it. For the first time ever, I am attempting to claim warranty. As per the terms: RAYOVAC® Batteries are designed to prevent damaging leaks. RAYOVAC® will repair, replace or refund, at our option, any device damaged by RAYOVAC® Batteries* as long as the batteries and device have not expired, been misused or modified.

They asked to provide photos of the batteries with expiration date and country of manufacture showing, and also photos of device showing brand, model and battery door, along with a statement of how frequently the device was used.

I suspect they will make the claim process so difficult that it won't be worth doing, we'll see. I switched to Rayovac after having horrendous experience with Duracell which leaked less than 1 year after purchase. Going forward I will try to use only rechargeable batteries. Only downside is they self-drain with time, even Eneloops.

View attachment 152748View attachment 152749

I've seen everything leak including some where the battery fused in a Mag Lite.

It was a while ago and possibly many corporate owners ago, but I had pretty good customer service with Rayovac years ago when they had their rechargeable alkaline batteries. I bought this four position charger (AA or AAA only) that was labeled as suitable for Rayovac rechargeable alkaline (formerly Renewal), NiCad, or NiMH. I was charging their alkalines when it leaked. I was charging four AAs and for whatever reason they all leaked. I also used it to charge NiMH as it was the only smart charger I had at the time. I called up their customer service number and they shipped me a new 4-pack of the same batteries and a 4-position charger that could charge 4 AAA/AA/C/D. I didn't really have anything bigger than AA other than maybe some old NiCad C cells. But they gave me something more flexible than what they replaced and I didn't have to return anything.

I bought the Renewal branded charger once that was only labelled for use with their rechargeable alkaline. It said it was USA made and if I put in a battery that had already finished its charge it would almost immediately stop charging. But those rechargeable alkaline had maybe 25 cycles before they reached about 70% original capacity. The big advantage they had was fairly low self discharge similar to regular alkaline and higher voltage.

Never really thought about it 'til now, 9 volt batteries live in DVOM's for several years without issue....
I've never seen 9 volt batteries leak. The small individual batteries inside the case may leak, but the leakage never gets outside the main case.

After I had a couple of AA sized batteries leak in my $300 Tektronix TX-3 DDM, I learned to remove them when I wasn't using the meter, since it isn't used that often.

DITTO Duracells stink these days!! took out a decent low-mid priced camera when the acid ate the contacts!! i no longer leave any battery in an unused device!!! should have done a claim for sure + that was years ago!

I recommend using Eveready Energizer lithium AA for anything of value, they will not leak by design. They are ideal for items where the battery may not be used frequently, I use them exclusively in AA maglites, and expensive remotes or seldom used devices.

BTW, the warrantees will be honored by battery manufacturers...I worked for Duracell for 3 years, many decades ago...they will always make you whole. They send you a check, usually for the full retail value of the item, along with coupons for free batteries. They also keep track of your claims over the years.

Back