Single AA LED flashlights

Just got a couple of cheap ones I saw on Amazon for $8 for the pair. Seems kind of interesting.

715OaFwpjyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They're working pretty well although I'm not sure exactly what the translucent bands are for. They look like gaskets. The instruction sheet doesn't say much about their performance - especially not expected runtime. They can apparently take an equivalent Li-ion cell, but I'm only planning on using LSD AAs or perhaps alkaline in a pinch. They have an interesting focus mechanism with that bulbous lens and where it just slides/rotates freely. The instructions are too clear on how to access the three modes (high/low/flashing) other than pressing the button switch on/off. I found that once it's on I can cycle through the modes by just partially pressing down on the end button to go to the next mode. The instruction sheet is filled with awkward grammar and some clear mistakes, but I rather expect the with many items produced in Asia. Hiring native English speakers to proofread can cost a bit.

They don't produce any appreciable side light. I sometimes carry around an old bike light, and that deliberately has some side leakage in order to improve side visibility to oncoming traffic. But the bulb-shaped lens may throw out a little bit of side light.

Glow in the dark?

That seems to be it. It's weird though since they don't seem to stay on very well and they're rather faint.

Also - they have a typical squarish LED. But when I pull out the lens to tighten the pattern, it goes from a round projection to a squared projection. But a square with a few cuts in the corner because that's where the wires are bonded to the LED.

I went down the Amazon cheap LED flashlight rabbit hole a few years ago. It's amazing what these things can do nowadays for being so inexpensive. They are practically disposable.

That said, I would recommend finding flashlights that use 3 AAA batteries or a 18650 rechargeable battery. Regular alkalines can be used but they won't last very long. An 18650 has way more oomph and will make the light brighter and last longer.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Wsky-Tactical-Flashlight-Powerful-Waterproof/dp/B0744C3J5W

There are a LOT of them out there and they will all start looking very similar quickly. lol

I purchased 5 similar ones a few years back. Not sure where they all went :)

I put Energizer AA lithium batteries in them and the ones I still have, work great.

You can see in the picture that the brand name is Photshopped on, LOL.

I had a few ~6 years ago and they worked as you describe. They don't last forever-- all that aluminum only implies a rugged product. Also the thread machining for the end cap was below par.

I had one that looked like that. Seemed really nice, metal, and lots of light. After a short time of babying it, the button on the back pushed in, making it useless.

Have a slim USB battery pack, generally used for portable charging of cell phones, it doubles as a flashlight and has a rechargeable lithium battery. It's nice not to be going through typical batteries, as long as you remember to charge it. Of course, for similar use, just use the flashlight app on a cell phone.

Have had a set of three of the following Bayco brand for a long time. Mine are old and don't say Nightstick, but they look like that. Three different sizes. Dual led, has a light on the end, press the button again to turn on the side light and then stand it up. Usually just keep a battery in the smallest one since it only requires one AAA and is good enough for small uses.

Image 3213.jpg

I purchased 5 similar ones a few years back. Not sure where they all went :)

I put Energizer AA lithium batteries in them and the ones I still have, work great.
Hopefully the flashlights aren't bouncing around inside the wings near the control cables or bell cranks? A guy I know lost his flashlight inside the wing of a Beech Duchess but was lucky enough to find it at the next 100 hr. or two...o_O

I have a bunch of those, they work great. I have them throughout the house, including one under my desk when I have to modify any cabling.

Yeah those have been around for ages, kind of big klunky design for a 1 x AA but if you don't EDC it, it doesn't matter so much.

I don't normally want a slide to zoom/focus head on a light but at their low price point, it's not bad to have, as it is only putting out a couple hundred lumens but that focus can really throw for how cheap and small they are.

I would never trust one of those as a primary use light, but to have them lying around with extra AA LSD NiMH in them, they're not bad. I still prefer the various brands of SK-98 that take an 18650 cell, because even if they aren't any brighter, the SK-68 wasn't a good form factor for EDC pocket carry so the SK-98 being larger still isn't a factor in that, but by taking an 18650 cell, if it's not brighter, then it's going to have triple+ the runtime.

On the other hand, I was buying cheap flashlights for years and they have their place, but once you buy something nicer, the cheap ones just end up as battery holders, nice to have as spares in a tool box or next to a circuit breaker panel, but to me the cheapest ones are more about.... if I have plenty of spare batteries anyway, might as well have them in something that can do something. If my better lights drain their battery in use, I can swap one out of a lesser light as easily as fishing a battery out of a drawer instead.

The main thing about the lowest cost generics is they can need some TLC, contacts cleaned, threads cleaned of oxidation, lubed, and the switches don't tend to last too many cycles.

I bought I think a 5 pack a couple years ago. A couple of the switches have already failed, and I don't use them much. Worth it if you just want to keep them here and there so you don't have to go get one if you just need it immediately, or somewhere that your likely to loose or forget it.

Having said that, I have 15 to 20 year old Maglite's, some converted from incandescent, a couple of their early LED's - that still work and get used a lot more.

When working, those cheap single AA LED lights work well, without the excessive and sometimes foolishly high price tag.

Toss a lithium battery in it, and you can just about forget about it in the glovebox or with the spare tire. It'll work when you need it.

I am no fan of alkaline batteries leaking all over everything. Rechargeables aren't for everyone.

My only worry is a phantom load. Had a popular brand flashlight that would eat batteries when not in use. You had to make an effort to unscrew the cap to avoid constant dead batteries. Just gotta remember to tighten it up before using again. Test for phantom loads, usually caused by the onboard controller/regulator sucking standby power even when the light is off... an issue with any light without a mechanical switch.

The Energizer 9v, AA, and AAA lithium disposable batteries are excellent for longer term storage. I also like the CR123a, made famous by Surefire. Plenty of lights take 1-2 cr123a's.

A Palight, Paklight, or Blocklight are great ways of using up 9v 'smoke' or co2 detector batteries that have been changed yearly, but are still good. I used them as kid's toys and nightlights since it took months to use up a battery when used temporarily and had 1/2 dozen 9V smoke detector batteries ready for wasting every new year.

I have a Snakelight, about 12 years old, that has an LED conversion bulb and Saft C-sized 3.6v? disposable lithium batteries. Its a good shed light when searching for tools, oil, filters... and whatever falls behind the shelves and cabinets. I flipped the switch on the other day, and it was nice and bright and on decade old disposal batteries.

I like the look of that Convoy but it's expensive and only uses a 14500 batt . A much better light for around $20 would be an S2+ or C8 .

The T3 works on all AA/14500 chemistries. Great little light although I do agree its rather expensive... although that is also a matter of perspective. The S2+ and C8 are great but they aren't single AA.

Hopefully the flashlights aren't bouncing around inside the wings near the control cables or bell cranks? A guy I know lost his flashlight inside the wing of a Beech Duchess but was lucky enough to find it at the next 100 hr. or two...o_O
I just bang on the wing skin to see if anything is in there.... :cool:

All kidding aside, I always require a second set of eyes before a panel gets closed up. AND, I don't use a tiny, lower powered flashlight for inspections. I use a 3500 Lumen Olight.

Back