Recent Topics
Is my transmission fluid overfilled? Scion xB '10
by puredata - 08/22/19 02:38 AM
Which are you?😂
by Mad_Hatter - 08/22/19 12:21 AM
The Fatal Flaw...
by Mad_Hatter - 08/21/19 10:58 PM
early OCI because of HIGH REVVING
by tahoe_hybrid - 08/21/19 10:38 PM
API diesel / gas ratings
by KiwiBiker - 08/21/19 10:18 PM
For the XOM fans!
by Marco620 - 08/21/19 09:43 PM
I have to set up Wake-On-Lan
by vavavroom - 08/21/19 09:17 PM
A Nut About Motor Oil
by Mr_Luke - 08/21/19 09:12 PM
Is VW507 okay for flat tappets in EA 827?
by vavavroom - 08/21/19 09:06 PM
Brake pads on a Cadillac ATS?
by Oro_O - 08/21/19 08:32 PM
2019 GMC Sierra - Rear view mirror is new tech
by Reddy45 - 08/21/19 08:18 PM
Mobil Super or Mobil 1
by 80Boxcar - 08/21/19 07:34 PM
17 Accord 6AT "service"
by Schmoe - 08/21/19 07:26 PM
Caliper Recommendations for 2002 Tacoma
by madibob - 08/21/19 07:14 PM
KoruWorks code
by GumbyJarvis - 08/21/19 06:34 PM
Differential / Axle VENT
by MasterSolenoid - 08/21/19 06:14 PM
Oil for Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
by Luke352 - 08/21/19 05:52 PM
Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend SN+
by mpgo4th - 08/21/19 05:37 PM
6.7 powerstroke cab off repair work
by mattd - 08/21/19 04:23 PM
Newest Members
oilq, Nesss, Robto, Chaparro_trucker, KiwiBiker
69027 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (bonjo, 4WD, 2015Corolla, ChrisD46, Bailes1992, DR3406C, 3 invisible), 565 guests, and 26 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics293,636
Posts5,043,857
Members69,027
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. #5133258 06/13/19 02:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
E
el_cheapo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
I live less than 2 miles from a parts store, my workplace, a dollar general, gas station, stihl dealer, my in laws, a veterinarian, a tire shop, UPS, a Post office and a grocery store. Pretty good for a town of 1200 people.

1998 F-150 with a 5.4 (2v) gets short tripped horribly, a couple times a week i'll take a run to the river or something and try to burn out the water but especially in the winter i see goo build up under my oil cap.

I've been running quaker state conventional 10w-30 and napa gold oil fiIters. don't appear to burn any oil, had the truck over 20,000 miles generally change every 3-5 and i'm never low. Been searching these forums and I hear all kinds of different ideas, manual reccomends 5w-20 but then people say on something with 160k you should go thicker, but some people don't think so do what ford says.

Midwest, i'm willing to run a different oil in the summer and the winter, I don't baby this truck it's a tool. Pulls a boat, camper, pontoon, another truck on a trailer, i'm not hesitant to floor it but do want to maintain it the best i can. Also my Daily Driver to get me to work and back.

So i guess I'm asking what oil would be best for the above situation, if any would work well for short trips or if i should suck it up and get up thirty minutes earlier to drive out of town then back to work.

Also any recommendations on diff fluid? Had this thing submerged in the backwater and need to address that.

I want to be one of those guys with a 300k motor and the way it's ran so far and the fact that it burns no oil at all, i think it's a good candidate.

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133262 06/13/19 02:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 224
C
czbrian Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 224
I'm using Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage in my 90s era trucks and Supertech differential fluid. Nothing wrong with your current oil choice though and no need to get up 30 minutes earlier to drive around. You should be fine with your current habits.


2006 Honda Pilot
1998 Chevrolet C1500
1995 Chevrolet C1500
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133267 06/13/19 02:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,106
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,106
Just keep using what you have been doing. From experience if you reach your mileage goal it won't because of motor oil you decided to use.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133288 06/13/19 03:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 257
S
Silver Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 257
so oil doesn't get up to temp very often, which means it's too thick most of the time it's driven.

Last edited by Silver; 06/13/19 03:30 PM.
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133303 06/13/19 03:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,517
M
Miller88 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,517
i'm not sure I'd run a 10w-30 in a 5.4 that's short tripped. They really don't like to be short tripped, especially since a good portion of them have oil coolers.

With that said, I run 5w-30 high mileage in my 1997 F150 5.4 engine. The oil cap that came with the engine reads 5w-30 so that's what I'll run.


18 Forester 2.5I 6M
00 Jeep XJ
01 F-350 4x4 5M
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: dave1251] #5133310 06/13/19 03:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
E
el_cheapo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
If reaching a mileage goal isn't due to good oil selection what is it from then? Blind luck? Not disagreeing just curious.

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133336 06/13/19 04:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 993
J
JustN89 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 993
Maintenance habits and a willingness to fix big ticket items on an older, higher mileage vehicle, usually.

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133351 06/13/19 04:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 848
K
kstanf150 Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 848
I owned a 1997 F-150 / 5.4L
Probably one of the best trucks I’ve owned in the 45 years I’ve been driving
I used only QS green bottle 5W-30 changed it every 5K Miles and I logged 240,000 trouble free miles
Sold it and the guy I sold it to 8 years ago still driving it today

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: kstanf150] #5133360 06/13/19 04:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
E
el_cheapo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
kstanf150 it's honestly been a great truck, I have an egr valve that keeps getting gummed up (probably from my short tripping) if the egr valve gets stuck open it idles rough. but other than that everything i've done has been preventative maintenance. For what I paid it's insane I got a 4wd, v8, with leather captains seats, air and heat. What more can a guy ask for.

My 24' pontoon has an odd trailer with the tires all the way at the back so i'm thinking over 1000 pounds of tongue weight on the ball, truck don't care hardly squats, I kick off overdrive myself and it'll drag that heavy sail along as fast as I want to go.



anyway I'm doing the green bottle as well I'll switch to 5w30 at least this next one cause it'll be winter.

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133379 06/13/19 04:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,508
BlueOvalFitter Offline
Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,508
Originally Posted by el_cheapo
I live less than 2 miles from a parts store, my workplace, a dollar general, gas station, stihl dealer, my in laws, a veterinarian, a tire shop, UPS, a Post office and a grocery store. Pretty good for a town of 1200 people.

1998 F-150 with a 5.4 (2v) gets short tripped horribly, a couple times a week i'll take a run to the river or something and try to burn out the water but especially in the winter i see goo build up under my oil cap.

I've been running quaker state conventional 10w-30 and napa gold oil fiIters. don't appear to burn any oil, had the truck over 20,000 miles generally change every 3-5 and i'm never low. Been searching these forums and I hear all kinds of different ideas, manual reccomends 5w-20 but then people say on something with 160k you should go thicker, but some people don't think so do what ford says.

Midwest, i'm willing to run a different oil in the summer and the winter, I don't baby this truck it's a tool. Pulls a boat, camper, pontoon, another truck on a trailer, i'm not hesitant to floor it but do want to maintain it the best i can. Also my Daily Driver to get me to work and back.

So i guess I'm asking what oil would be best for the above situation, if any would work well for short trips or if i should suck it up and get up thirty minutes earlier to drive out of town then back to work.

Also any recommendations on diff fluid? Had this thing submerged in the backwater and need to address that.

I want to be one of those guys with a 300k motor and the way it's ran so far and the fact that it burns no oil at all, i think it's a good candidate.

PYB 5W30 every 5K miles.


"One Filter, One OCI!"
2007 F150, 4.2 V6
Havoline HM 5W20, MC FL-400S
"One Box, One OCI!"
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133397 06/13/19 05:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,783
blupupher Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,783
Use what you want and what works.

I have no problems running a xw-20 in my 5.4, mostly short trips (I am 3 miles from work and pretty much anywhere else I go in it). I may not drive it for 1 week sometimes when the weather is nice since I ride my motorcycle most of the time.

The timing chain tensioners tend to do better long term with thinner oil (pressure builds up and flows faster to the tensioner), but you got to where you are at using what you use, so maintanance is usually more important that choosing between a 20 wt and 30 wt oil.


2018 Santa Fe: PP 10W-30/OEM/5k
2018 Soul: Mobil Super 5W-20/OEM/5k
2012 xB: M1 EP 0W-20/CQ Blue/5k
2002 F150: Magnatec 5W-20/Bosch D+/1yr
1994 VT1100: Peak 15W-40/Bosch D+/1yr
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133432 06/13/19 05:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 79
M
Merek Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 79
I would go with Shell RGT either 5w20 or 5w30 whichever Ford recommended back then for your truck and 0w20 in the winter, the thinner oil will allow it to warm up quicker and flow easier at startup too.

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133556 06/13/19 08:17 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 848
K
kstanf150 Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by el_cheapo
kstanf150 it's honestly been a great truck, I have an egr valve that keeps getting gummed up (probably from my short tripping) if the egr valve gets stuck open it idles rough. but other than that everything i've done has been preventative maintenance. For what I paid it's insane I got a 4wd, v8, with leather captains seats, air and heat. What more can a guy ask for.

My 24' pontoon has an odd trailer with the tires all the way at the back so i'm thinking over 1000 pounds of tongue weight on the ball, truck don't care hardly squats, I kick off overdrive myself and it'll drag that heavy sail along as fast as I want to go.



anyway I'm doing the green bottle as well I'll switch to 5w30 at least this next one cause it'll be winter.



I wish now I’d never sold it and kept it to see just how many miles it would go till something broke

Just FYI
With a Ford and doing short trips
Take a long drive a couple of times a week and put your foot thru the firewall a few times
Fords like to run !!!👍

Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133733 06/14/19 12:45 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,106
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,106
Originally Posted by el_cheapo
If reaching a mileage goal isn't due to good oil selection what is it from then? Blind luck? Not disagreeing just curious.



The motor oil quality today is so good if you follow the factory recommended OCI and recommended oil grade and certification you will not have a oil related failure.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: Best Oil for 2v ford 5.4 in a pickup, short tripped some. [Re: el_cheapo] #5133739 06/14/19 12:55 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,100
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,100
5w30 PYB/QSGB
Motorcraft filter

3-5K OCI


2018 RAM 1500 SLT 5.7L HEMI 19K
Schaeffers 5w20 - Mahle OC 614

Disabled US Army Vet
OEF 2013-2014

Stash:
Filters- 11
Quarts- 45
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™